main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Yeah, I wondered if it was totally new but I've missed a lot of the last several winter Olympics, so I wasn't sure.

Enjoying the exhibition skating now. Yuzuru Hanyu is just so mesmerizing...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    A: why were they using the spotlights? B: Yes, he's mesmerizing, but why didn't we get the full exhibition session that I waited all day for? (And why in heck are they repeating for the west coast at 830PM?) So, so many questions...

3. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and Juliet316 like this.
  4. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Caught his toepick, and those are the wrong skates for that. But at least he was able to laugh and get back up. 1998, one of the speedskaters went down into the board pads and dislocated his shoulder.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That Olympic skating celebration was fantastic. I especially liked the Russian who came in second. It was nice that she wore “normal” clothing.

6. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Yeah, that's what I liked about the clip--his good-natured reaction (and the fact that he wasn't hurt, of course!)

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I hate watching the closing ceremony. Makes me sad. Olympics rock

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    The best memory of this Olympic. Never thought I would be so exciting to see them win. Hope we can see the same thing happen 4 years later.

[​IMG]

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Juliet316 like this.
  10. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Was it just me or did anyone else notice that spinning globe in China’s presentation didn’t show N. America at all? Maybe not UK either.

11. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Didn't see a spinning globe thing, no... West Coast US. Anyone else?

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I usually don't watch the closing ceremonies (make me sad that it's over), so I don't know.

Pensivia likes this.
  13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I’m sure it ll be up on YouTube soon. Giant spinning globe on floor. Maybe it ll be on news to if what I saw is what happened. Only saw 2 rotations of it but I was reading at the time and glanced up for those 2.

I could have done without that K Pop. Definitely not my thing but it’s important to them and atleast the visuals where great.

14. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Here, for those who didn't much like the K-Pop: The kids of Salt Lake singing Happy Trails.

Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling Olympics withdrawal! The moment when the torch goes out is always the saddest for me:_| :p

I guess the "Olympics Channel" has been around since at least 2016, but I just heard about it yesterday (I'm always so out of touch, lol)...at first I thought you had to have some type of subscription (cable, Hulu, etc.) to access, but poking around the site I found a lot of short features that were non-subscription. This will help to take the edge off until July 24, 2020!!!

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/

I've already watched features on Katarina Witt, Torvill and Dean, and Greg Louganis:p

Edit: Jedi-Solo: I watched the entire closing ceremony (the prime time NBC broadcast version) but I either didn't notice or don't remember anything unusual about the globe...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Top Highlights for me from the Pyeongchang Games:

(Three per division, to keep this post somewhat manageable).

US Winning Division

1) Five in the 8th and the remarkable story that was USA Men's Curling. From a skip who was basically kicked out of the US Curling Program and had to win his way back into the program, and then to win 6 straight must-win games, knocking off the regional bully in Canada and the best team in the world in Sweden. Knock Curling if you want. I find it compelling to watch, I want to try playing it, and the personal triumph stories here are incredible. I look forward to Disney buying the movie rights and me watching it on the Mouse's Version of Netflix.

2) The Women's Relay Team winning Gold in Cross Country. I watched that race not knowing the outcome (I don't think I watched it live), and the drama at the end was fantastic. From "can the US get their first medal in the event" to "OMG, the US might win" to "Holy **** the US won and then collapsed at the finish line and look at the joy from teammates as they celebrate this!". Just a fun moment to watch.

3) Chloe Kim and Shaun White winning gold on the Half-pipes. I couldn't pick just one of them, so I have to pick both. Whether it was young Kim one-upping herself or the timeless White one-upping the other competitors, it was just fun to watch the bar keep getting raised and gold being earned.

Honorable Mention: Women's hockey winning gold.

Other Countries Winning Division

1) Simen Krueger of Norway winning Gold in the Men's Skiathalon, after crashing early in the race. It was an amazing moment of triumph to watch. The coverage here kept going to/from the race and it was a fascinating bit of personal triumph to watch. It's probable cliche to say it, but that kind of embodies the Olympic Spirit, and it was just incredible to watch unfold.

2) Ester Ledecka. Proving that she is better at two different things than I will ever hope to be at any one single thing. And I'm okay with that.

3) Germany over Canada in Men's Hockey. And not just for the tweet. But also for the Tweet. I love to see "new" countries get success in established sports.

Honorable Mention: Germany and Canada literally tying for gold in Bobsled.

Misc Division

1) The Jamaican Women's Bobsled team. Feelgood moment to see them empowered and making the Olympics.

2) The littering of the ice with Winnie the Pooh. I thought it was cool.

3) The Unified Korean Women's Hockey Team. Chills seeing the fans wave the unification flags and having a brief thought about the impact sports could have on our divided world.

Honorable Mention: The US having an openly Gay Athlete competing in the Olympics for the first time (out during competition). Very big step forward.

Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Two! :)

EDIT: In retrospect, possibly three or more? I think there's a Women's speedskater out too, and there may be more I'm unfamiliar with...

Pensivia, Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  18. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    ^yes, that was definitely a great aspect to this year's Games! I also think the fact that NBC gave an even bigger role this time to Johnny Weir as half of the Johnny/Tara commentating team (having them do the closing ceremony commentary along with Terry Gannon) is also a step forward, especially considering stories like these from not that long ago (2010):

Johnny Weir Deemed "Not Family Friendly" Enough to Perform in Stars on Ice Tour
    https://www.glaad.org/2010/03/11/jo...iendly-enough-to-perform-in-stars-on-ice-tour

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    There really is a tweet for everything isn't there?

Pensivia likes this.
  21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    What does @DarthIntegral have against Sweden. :(

What do I take with me from the games.

1. The Swedish biathlon team. Coming home with 2 golds and 2 silvers, from a team where everybody except one were there to learn for future Olympics. The last shooting for the men's relay gold has already become a Swedish classic.

2. The ladies deliver. Sweden took 14 medals, 4 by men and 10 by women. I think it was typical that the Swedish men's curling team went into the final as favorites but lost, while the women went into the final ready for a hard fight and totally crushed the Korean team for the gold. The men's cross country team are coming home without a medal from a championship or Olympics, for the first time since 1999.

3. The Swedish freestyle skiers and snowboarders can't handle the Olympics. We had reigning world champions, undefeated world cup leaders, medalists from X-games, and they didn't win a single medal. It was the same in Sochi, so I think they need to think about how they can prepare better mentally for the next Olympics.

And speed skating mass start was the craziest new event that I saw.

Pensivia likes this.
  22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not Anti-Sweden!

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Anti-Swedite!

24. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Just honorable mention?:(

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well. I listed three things higher than it. So, yes. Honorable mention. That's typically how those things work.