main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So, it’s actually started, muricans even get to watch it without the awful Bob Costas, and no one is?

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m looking forward to watching downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, the biathlon. Pretty much all of the skiing. Also hockey even without the NHL.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Trying to determine what order the athlete countries are entering in. It certainly isn't English alphabetic order. Looks like they picked names out of a hat.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It was nice being able to watch the opening ceremony without insipid American narration -- good for NBC for streaming it live for once. They only had 4 commercial breaks too, all less than 10 seconds. Impressive.

Performances were pretty good, though the cauldron itself was unimaginative. But I enjoyed it overall.

It's in alphabetical order based on country names in Korean :p

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    jp-30, Juliet316, starfish and 3 others like this.
  5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    And the order of the Korean hangul alphabet.

V-2 likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    This. Can't get over how much I loved the zero commentary feed.

7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Enjoyed the first night of figure skating! The Russian pair looked great (no surprise there I guess:p).

And I give a 9/10 artistic impression score to Tara and Johnny for their opening night outfits!

[​IMG]

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yup. It was cool seeing Mike Tirico being the anchor host for the Olympics. IIRC, that's one on the main reasons he left ESPN.

I wonder if Tara and Johnny actually coordinated with each other on their outfits. The do look like they could hit the ice and compete in the pairs competition.

It was tough to watch Nathan Chen fall a few times, especially after all the hype and build up after that human story/bio feature on him. Which had that insane ballet coach who sounded like a drill sergeant. However, Nathan seem to take his misfortune in stride and hopefully he'll bounce back in the individual competition.

solojones, Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They definitely co-ordinated. And would have done better than some of those people last night.

Pensivia likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks Jello/VVM. I had a feeling it might be something like that but didn't know for sure as a)I don't speak Korean and b) the talking heads on the BBC coverage blathered on about everything but that.

Pensivia likes this.
  11. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah, they happened to mention it in the coverage I was watching, otherwise I wouldn't have guessed it either.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I thought the ceremony was pretty good on the whole but i could have done without that 'dancing' after the torch was lit. They should have ended with the torch.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    He's back and he's shirtless again!

[​IMG]

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - the BBC commentators made a big deal about him.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I figured it was either French or Korean, because it definitely wasn't English. And after hearing a few of the French ones be out of alphabetical order, that left the only option.

It was also the only performance I didn't like a lot. I wasn't entirely sure what was going on (double-edged sword to no commentary I guess) and it didn't feel as striking as the rest of the performances were.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We had commentary and it didn't make it any better.

18. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    most looking forward to watching norway beat sweden at stuff

tom and jp-30 like this.
  19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'll remember that if Kalla manages to win something.

Skickat från min SM-A520F via Tapatalk

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Pensivia

I just cannot get over the fact that Tara is now 35 and married. It doesn't seem that long ago we were watching her shock everyone and beat Kwan in Japan at the 98' Games. I was a Sophomore in college and 20 at the time. Then I blinked. :(

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    No, that's just what a ballet master sounds like, he wasn't insane.

I feel bad for Nathan Chen, he was far from the only one to fall -they almost all did- but they've really piled on him.

dp4m, Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  22. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Oh, don't get me started on nostalgic memories of Olympics gone by:p. I've been a die-hard Olympics fan since Lake Placid '80 (I was 10 then)...can still clearly remember watching Eric Heiden's 5 speed skating golds and the "Miracle on Ice" USA/USSR hockey game!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't know anything about the olympics but I do like the word Pyeonchang .

jp-30 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought about you when watching the 125 or so Norwegian athletes walk in, following the warm-weather countries with 1-2 athletes each. :p

Point Given , Zapdos and dp4m like this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It’s almost refreshing that NBC reminds me how terrible their coverage is within a couple of hours of the opening ceremony starting.

And by almost I mean definitely. And by refreshing I mean gross.