main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2019 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2019.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Happy New Year! This is the thread where we discuss our fitness goals for this year and provide each other with support and encouragement.

Ground rules:

Support and Encouragement. This are the big two. If your only goal this year is “to not die,” congratulations and we wish you much success, but we don’t need you to post that here. If you believe that your form of exercise and healthy eating is better than everyone else’s form of exercise and healthy eating, keep it to yourself. Sometimes we’ll ask each other for advice here, but if we don’t ask, we don’t want it.

Onward to goals, or for those of us who have participated in prior threads, where we are.

For fitness I run, bike, swim, combine the three for triathlons in the summer, and do yoga.

So far for 2019 I have signed up for a 7K trail run on January 19 and a 4-miler on Super Bowl Sunday. I’m training for a half-marathon in March or April but have yet to sign up. My dietary goal for 2019 is to eliminate fast food completely and cut down on meat, for both health and environmental reasons.

Welcome to oldbies and to anyone who would like to join us. :)

2. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I got 20 pounds to lose, at least 15 to join the army. But I've got to work more in running, still weak. My brother joined the gym so that's extra help in motivation to push more

3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    My goal for now is not to burn out of swimming. Due to injury it's the only form of cardio I can do. I hope to buy a waterproof mp3 player in February, but this month my bank account needs a break.

4. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    In terms of running hopefully stick with the status quo of weekly mileage. I do the same running events each year here in the city: two half marathons, one mile road race, 10 mile race, 10K and a few 5ks. I'd like to set new PRs in the half, one mile and 5k. I might sign up for a full marathon in the fall, we'll see though.

I'd like to incorporate more cycling as well. I didn't do as much as I would of liked to last year.

Try to eat a little cleaner, cut on some of the daily processed food.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  5. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Just did the gym. 25 min on elipitcal 3.64 miles. Did 2.5 in 16 min which is my goal of reaching two miles in 16 min. Tried doing treadmill but had to stop running after 7 min. Did exercise machines. Now on way home but i may come back tonight if not I'll just walk.

6. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Greetings, thread! I'm happy to be able to make the first page here, so that if I feel myself start to slack off, I can easily go back and find my first post for motivational purposes!

The arrival of 2019 means that I'm going to be 50 this year (yikes!), and I'm hoping that that cold dose of reality:p will help me to re-establish some better exercise habits that I've had in the past but have let slide for the last several years.

My most important goal is just better overall fitness for health, but I'm really hoping that even if I just go the "slow and steady" path, that I can end up losing about 10 pounds overall.

More specific objectives (at least initially) include (at minimum):

--doing the recommended 150 minutes/week of at least moderate cardio

--adding back at least some weight/resistance training into my routine to promote bone health and regain some of my lost muscle tone

--doing a better job with my diet (my habits are not terrible, but could definitely use improvement). may try to restrict any consumption of desserts/sweets to weekends only (I have a terrible sweet tooth!)

At first, my main exercise will consist of using my home treadmill (walking briskly on increasing inclines) and at-home resistance/strength exercises (I'll probably be looking for any good suggestions for those as I go along). I'm also planning on buying a spin bike this month. I would prefer to take group classes, but I feel I'll have a better chance of actually sticking to it (at least at first) if I can do spinning at home.

So, we're off! Best of luck to all participants (and lurkers!) in this thread and I look forward to keeping up with everyone!:)

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I feel like I post in this thread at the start of each year, like a bad new year's resolution. I do keep up with my training, now I have hit a snag though since my PT is on sick leave, which might last until spring. It is winter though, and winter for me means more opportunities for outdoor training so I think I will wait for my PT to come back rather than trying to find a new one.

I have two goals this year. The first one is to actually decrease my time in the annual 30 km ski race that I do, I have increased my the last two years and now I want to change that trend. My goal for the ski race is a time around 3:20 (ideally I will reach 3:15 but I will be ok with a time of 3:30).

The main goal is to simply do more training. I went down with a really persistent cold in November, which was probably my immune system telling me that I was too stressed out. I wasn't able to do any training for November and most of December, and my blood sugar has gone crazy (I'm a type 1 diabethic). The last week, when I've been to the gym or done some physical activity almost every day I've felt so much better and I already have more control over my blood sugar. Also due to my stress situation at work I have gotten orders from the occupational doctor (I even have a written prescription for it) that I need to do excersize 20-30 minutes 5 days a week, and that I must include 10 minutes of relaxation afterwards. We will also have an appointment with my boss to change my work times so that I hopefully I will be able to exchange one hour of work for training each day, until my stress situation has gotten better.

Well today I have waxed my skis for the winter and borrowed my niece's long distance skates, so tomorrow me and my sister will do the first skating tour for the winter. It's not really hard training (I'm so much better than my sister) but it's a nice way to get out and just have fun outside for an hour or so. My boss ordered me to take this week off to recharge and I want to do the best of it.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Let's See how I did against last year's goals.
    My Median Week had 4 workouts and my most common weekly total was actually five. That one gets a big checkmark
    I found myself under-consuming some of my must eats (oily fish, avocados) as the year progressed and the time crunch got real. Might need to reevaluate the dietary lifestyle for the new reality of life and where I am now vs. where I used to be. No checkmark here.
    Exceeded my goal - went 100% soda-free in 2018.
    365 days out 365 days tracked on Daylio, and a review of my commonly linked items and keywords to identify what makes a bad day and what makes a great day
    Big ****ing checkmark here. Didn't do the reading I wanted to do (unless you count umpteen readings of "Little Blue Truck Leads the Way", "Sheep go to Sleep" and other similar works), but spent a good chunk of time on me and my family. Can't remember a single time I truly was upset over sports. Television consumption way down. Now, to reduce my mobile phone addiction ...
    Nope
    Yep. Doctor took me off of that after I lost a chunk of weight
    Bringing us to yup and yup. I'm lighter now than I was in college (at least my weight was there before the Holidays LOL) and my pants are actually a smaller size than I wore in high school.

Going to reflect on those a bit longer before I set any goals for 2019.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My goal was 1000 miles of running last year and I’m not even sure I did half of that; the summer heat did me in. I spent a good three to four months in the pool or on the stationary bike.

I’m not setting a mileage goal this year, or really any specific goals to reach by the end of the year; I’m just having fun planning what race I want to do next. Having an upcoming race keeps me on target. I’ll do a sprint triathlon in June and one in September, and will probably retreat to the pool and the stationary bike in the months between, unless by some miracle this summer is cooler than last.

If any fellow runners are interested, there is an app called Charity Miles, which lets you log miles for a charity of your choice, and a company will sponsor you. I’ve raised money for Every Mother Counts, which helps with maternity care in third-world countries, as well as the ASPCA, using the app.

10. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    @DarthIntegral : huge congrats on meeting most of your goals for last year!=D= That is really awesome (and rather inspirational to me as I am just starting out on my goals)!

11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought of one more goal I have. Keep doing ab work and free weights. I did abs today and yesterday plus a few push ups.

I want to change up my diet, but I have no willpower. I even use my fitness pal to track every single thing I eat and I still don't care. I go over the suggested calories every single day. If I'm hungry I eat. If I buy fresh fruit it often goes to waste cause I just can't get hungry for stuff I don't like :( I do eat vegetables, I never drink soda, my weakness is chocolate and processed food. How people make time to spend in the kitchen is beyond me. I hate cooking with a passion. I make dinner almost every night for the family, but lunch is a lean cuisine, breakfast is a peanut butter sandwich, for snacks I eat almonds, almond milk yogurt and those not so good for me but ever convenient and tasty luna bars, zone bars or lara bars (whatever is available).

12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Mine:
    I am still here and grateful for it.

2019:
    Walking and stretching more.

Getting back to eating the way I did prior to the summer (and better than that. More greens and protein, less bad carbs).

And most importantly, not stressing myself out to where I weaken my immune system so bad, I set myself up for nearly going kaput from food poisoning last July. To that end, I’ve been fighting getting a BA for years and with that stress from 2015-2018 which nearly did me in, I decided no degree I have to settle for is worth my life.

Everyone has wonderful goals here and I know you will reach them.

Thanks for being there for me, I hope to be there for everyone here too.

13. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I definitely understand that, afs (I'm in Florida, and we have a pretty small time window here of temperatures that I consider conducive to outdoor exercise).

Guidman and Master_Lok like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had a hard time running in Florida due to the heat and humidity when I was there last week. And it’s supposed to be winter. I can’t imagine trying to run there during the summer. I considered running from my in-laws’ house to the beach, jumping in the Gulf, and running back.

15. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    ^This is definitely an important part of overall health, and something I need to work on as well. My husband has been saying for a while that we should try meditating together for at least 10-20 minutes/day, so hopefully we can get that going as well. Glad you have been able to make a decision that you think will help with your stress situation.

I'm hoping getting back into exercise will also help with my stress levels (I have a fairly demanding job and often have significant bouts of work-related anxiety). Maybe it's my imagination, but I already feel like i just overall "feel better" yesterday and today, only three days into my new plan! (I started on Dec 31)

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’ve seen two peers nearly die from pushing themselves too hard with getting their degrees, and now I know what that feels like. Last summer made me realize if I do not have my health, nothing else matters. So that is the primary fitness goal for me.

I am very glad to hear you’re feeling better three days in. I am sure exercise will help you deal with that stress. Good luck with the meditation. I try to do positive affirmations.

Teaching myself to draw has become a great de-stresser. I find myself more focused and happy heading into work or going to sleep at night. Not expecting perfection, having fun and losing myself in whatever I am sketching is a sort of meditation for me. I do not force it. I understand sometimes it takes a few tries and that is fun too. I’ve always wanted to draw, so this is helping my mental fitness.

17. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Since there's not going to be a Celebrity Deadpool 2019 thread, does it make sense to just report them here?

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The move to suburbia wrecked me. I used to walk nearly everywhere within a 1-2 mile radius and now I get in the car to go to a store I can literally see from my house.

This change also corresponded with my finally being too old to actively skateboard. I need to drop about 15lbs. I rejoined my old boxing gym last year which is helping. I started boxing before adolescence but fell off it for a few years. Still do a daddy/daughter krav maga class but it is not nearly enough consistent exercise. I am fighting for a noble cause: I love my jawline and refuse to let it die.

20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I can tell you from experience, there's a reason they start all the races at Disney World at 5 or 5:30 in the morning and even then it's brutal. I can't imagine what it's like in the middle of the day there, let alone trying to do any physical activity during the summer outside.

21. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m hoping to get out the cross country skis soon, waiting for more snow to fall. We had some a couple days ago, but it was the wet slushy kind, and it melted away the next day. So hopefully we get some nice fluffy snow that sticks around soon.

I also want to look for a cheap pair of ice skates this winter. I haven’t been skating in forever and theirs plenty of ice rinks and frozen ponds around here to skate on.

22. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    That sounds fabulous, starfish. Having grown up in Florida, I've never attempted either snow skiing or ice skating, but it seems like it would be a really fun way to get some winter exercise!

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I love both skiing and skating, but I think skating actually tops skiing, just because it's so much easier to just pack the skates and head off, no necessary waxing and a lot less to carry.

If you are going to go skating on natural ice rather than rinks I really recommend proper long distance skates. They just go over cracks and uneven ice, when I used to go on hockey skates I was always scared to get stuck in a crack and seriously hurt myself. Oh, and long distance skates are much faster as well.

[​IMG]

I'm using a pair with the same connection as my cross country skis, so I can use the same shoe for both skiing and skating.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I had a nice 1.5 mile treadmill walk and 1 mile swim this AM at the gym. Planning to do some abs and arms when I sign out of work later, working from home today. I have a new deal this year where I can work from home one day a week and starting next week it will be Tuesday. I can already tell just this one day of no commuting is going to be good for me.

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've no proper goals for this year other than to keep running, and to get back to regular push-ups (which I used to do regularly, but slacked-off considerably last year) and chin-ups/pull-ups (of which I now can only do a couple of at a time).