main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2019 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2019.

1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I had an okay week. I did good with food for the most part. Even only partially "cheated" at dinner last night and we went out. I did really good with swimming and yoga, got some walking in. I really wish I could walk more. The best news is I swam 3,700 metes this AM (2.29 miles)! The worst news is I made my whole leg ache by accident on Monday night when I helped my husband carry our Christmas tree out to the curb. So it's feeling better, but it's about to snow and who has to shovel? Me and who's going to be hurt all over again? I'd love to just go push an inch off the sidewalk each hour so I don't get hurt. But when is the majority of the snow coming? Between 7PM and 7AM. Oh well. All I can do is take it slow and hope for the best. Gosh I miss being in shape.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    @AutumnLight91 : Haha. Little kids always dust me in races. Usually, so do more than half of the adults.

3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Well I noticed something with it. I have a hard time running. If I was on my own I would not of completed that in almost 11 min. People around me pushed me in a way to go further than I could. So that's good

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah, my horde of Locusts vacuum style of eating is kind of ridiculous.

Besides slowly getting my diet back on track and walking more, I am taking action in how to avoid stress. Some of that is getting the positive thinking back in gear and listening to my body far more carefully than I did before.

Body is also telling me to stop doing something and I am listening. Stop with the “you gotta, you must, you should” and working deadline-centric unless the situation demands it.

Plus being healthier about the way I process and think about a lot of things: just letting some BS go.

5. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    My scale died so I'll have to get another to check weight

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I hope you gave the former scale the funeral that it deserves.

7. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Like what? Send it off in a boat over a cliff or while it's a distance away shoot a flaming arrow to set it on fire?

Master_Lok and Runjedirun like this.
  8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I went skiing for the first time of the winter today. It was awful. As soon as I started I just felt like I didn't have any power at all in my arms or legs. In the end it was more a case of walking on skis than actually skiing. On days like this it really hits you that cross country skiing is usually considered the toughest endurance sport and that it's a big difference from what you can do on a gym compared to when you are actually out there on the track. The positive side of it is that I at least went out, despite the weather not being perfect, and it was the muscles that protested not my breathing which tells me that I'm ok when it comes to endurance.

To sum up my week I did three rounds at the gym and one skiing session. I'm ok with that, even if I didn't reach my goal of four rounds at the gym. I did exchange one of the days in the gym with one hour of snow shoveling though, so at least that was physcial excersise even if it wasn't training.

This week is a bit more complicated but my goal is 2 days to the gym, and one session should be more than 30 minutes and 2 ski sessions.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good weekend for me. 15 miles biked over Sat/Sun, and trying to curb my salt/sugar intake to get healthy this year.

10. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    My fitness goals for this year is to eat less junk food. Unfortunately I carpool with people who like going to McDonalds and it is really hard for me to go there and not get anything. I want to work on strength training and getting up to my goal to run in a half marathon. I can run like five miles, but I am not very fast. I do weigh less (I am a normal weight) than I have in years, but I want to work on liking myself more.

11. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    awesome, heels! [face_dancing]was this on your new indoor bike, or outdoors?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Indoor - I'm loving this bike, Penny. Schwinn 170, highly recommended!

13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I always feel like the worst road trip companion because I don't eat fast food. Like the car stops at Taco Bell and I run across the street 7-11 for a cliff bar and a bag of chex mix . Everyone feels sorry for me and I'm happy as a clam. Or I would be, if everyone wasn't staring at me like I'm some kinda alien.

I got some exercise today, shoveled snow there times and had a nice little snow ball fight with my son. I also ate way better than I usually do on Sundays!

14. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    yeah...last week was not so good. Got 20 minutes of cardio in on Monday morning before going in to work, and then that was it until today (30 minutes). One of my overall health goals is also to get 8 hours of sleep consistently during the work week, and sometimes I feel like that goal is clashing with my exercise goals. I worked 10-hour (or more) days most of last week, and just was too wiped at the end of the day to try to get any exercise in. It's probably going to have to happen in the morning during the week or not at all, which means I'm going to have to get up earlier, which is hard for me in general but especially hard at this time of the year when it's still not really light until 7:30. I've had plenty of times over the years when I would get up at ungodly hours to work (5:00, even 4:00 a.m.) if I was under a big deadline crunch, but somehow I've never been able to force myself to get up "extra"-early to exercise. Obviously I will have to change that...

I saw an author (James Clear, author of Atomic Habits: An Easy &Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones) being interviewed on the news during New Year's week. He stressed the point that new (good) habits "have to be established before they can be improved" and in one of his YT vids, he gave an example of someone following his plan who eventually lost 100 pounds but started by going to the gym for just 5 minutes consistently for several weeks before actually doing much of anything there (!)

I'm somewhat skeptical, but maybe I should set my initial weekly goal even lower than I had (walk for 10 minutes each day) in order to establish the habit at any level. That makes me feel kind of lame/pathetic compared to what others in this thread are doing, but I should probably try to think more positively about it (that's another one of my bad habits...negative internal "self-talk"...)

But enough of my tale of woe, lol...onward and upward to week 3!:D

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Time for a run tonight!

*Harry Potter 1 is on TV*

Ugggghhhhhhh

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    @Pensivia when I graduated college I was on the big side. No one believes this now but my whole adult life I have weighed less than I did in high school. I started by giving up coca cola and running. On my first day I did 8 minutes of exercise. I walked out the door ran 8 minutes at a pathetically slow pace for someone who was 22 and that was it. I ran 8 minutes each day for a few weeks until I was brave enough to add more time to that. When I gave up coke I allowed myself to drink Sprite. I don't like Sprite nearly as much, but it allowed me to drink something sweet and miss coke less. Giving up Sprite was easy cause I never really liked it. So starting small is huge.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Eight or nine years ago I was drinking a lot of Pepsi Throwbacks (with real sugar) and not exercising much. My physical showed high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides. The first thing I did was stop buying the Pepsis. I lost 15 pounds within a month. Once I was no longer keeping soda in the house, it was not hard to stop drinking it regularly. I still drink one once in awhile; oddly enough I crave a Coke or Pepsi when I’m sick or getting sick.

I didn’t start running until I was 42. I had just had gall bladder surgery and was eager to get back to exercising; my normal routine at the time was going to the gym and riding the elliptical, but I was in Florida for Christmas and nowhere near a gym. I downloaded the Couch to 5K app and took off. I’ve never reached the speed that the app thinks its users will reach, but I did my first 5K that spring and have done enough races since then to collect a box full of medals.

18. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    @Pensivia My goal is just to get a routine to get to the gym, and be happy that I went there instead of having a goal of doing a certain amount of time or set excersises. As of now my standard time at the gym is 20 minutes, and the important thing is that I go there not what I do.

19. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    How's the wine?

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @Runjedirun , I don’t know if you’ve seen this one; it compares the benefits of swimming to running. FWIW two miles is pretty impressive; I can only do one.

Benefits of swimming

I appreciated it because I got back into swimming for the first time in 20 years or so for the same reason the author did—a stress fracture. And I do it to survive summer, not winter.

Guidman , PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I wish that article was true. I have been an avid swimmer my whole life. I have also been injured since high school. Two of my hard core cardio days each week before this injury started were swim days. I'm just abnormally injury prone :(. I am super lucky I don't have a shoulder injury. It's a super bad myth that you can swim and not get injured. Google Missy Franklin.

I have an appointment with a new doctor Monday. If he can help me a new more positive me will emerge.

22. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Good luck with that appointment, Runner![:D] I will be crossing my fingers for you.

Thanks also for the encouraging replies to my previous post, @Runjedirun ,@anakinfansince1983 and @Obi Anne . :) It's been a challenging week (I went from working 10 hour days the week before to 12 hour days this past week), but I'm looking forward to getting some good activity in later today and over the upcoming long weekend (I don't have to go in to the office on Monday!)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Juliet316, Sarge and Runjedirun like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve had swimmer’s shoulder so I agree there. I was just thinking of it along the lines of an alternative to running for cardio and strength.

Hope your appointment goes well.

Runjedirun likes this.
  24. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I had a pretty busy week. I passed my fitness test on Monday and I done a circuits session with some colleagues on Tuesday night. I've got a much more intense physical challenge coming up in July, which will involve two weeks of tests and circuits. I'm happy about this as it gives me another goal to work towards and will force me to up my training.

Juliet316, Sarge, Pensivia and 3 others like this.
  25. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I had to change my plans for the week. I had planned to go skiing yesterday, but I was in a meeting until 7 pm, so way too late. I did go to the gym for a short session, most important thing was that at least I went there even if it was late. Now that means that I need to do two skiing sessions over the weekend. Thankfully they have promised perfect winter weather though.

Juliet316, Sarge, Pensivia and 3 others like this.