main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2019 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2019.

1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    As I mentioned above I caved and called my doctor this week. Out of nowhere I was just in pain. From my right hip down to my foot. I wasn't able to sleep and this has been going on for the better part of a year. So much pain I can't sleep and I'm not even doing any activity. I am just sitting still. I think this is the one thing most people do not comprehend even the doctors. People just assume if I run I have pain when I run, no it's not like that at all. I'm in pain 24/7 sometimes for weeks on end. The worst thing I did was try this one physical therapy place where they insisted I go for a run to see how it feels. Well I argued and argued with them. I knew I was going to blow up in pain, but they insisted and they are supposed to be PT's so I went along after I strongly urged them to rethink this plan. Well I was in tears for days after that. When I tried to tell the owner of the practice that being alive hurts she literally laughed. I don't think she did it to be mean, I just don't think she comprehended the seriousness of my injury.

Anyway on to better news. The past 24 hours has been better. If I swim just 45 minutes, I don't aggravate anything. So the past 3 days I've just done a 45 minute swim. I also walked one mile each day after work. One day on the treadmill at the gym, yesterday it was warm enough for the neighborhood (40ish degrees I can handle). My right foot falls asleep, but it doesn't leave me in pain afterward and everything I have ever read says exercise is good for you. And even though my right foot falls asleep I don't have pain after walking. All of this is super discouraging for me. I want to set fitness goals more than any human being on the planet, but I just keep cutting back further.

So this doctor I have been seeing. I think he hates me. He thinks I need to be more patient and he interrupted it all wrong when I said no one is helping me. I meant that when I get home from the doctor I have to carry around my autistic 5 year old son and the vacuum cleaner and whatever other labor might be aggravating my injury and that may be the reason I can't heal. He took it to mean he wasn't helping me and I feel terrible about this even though I tried to tell him I didn't mean it that way. I think that's why he just handed me a card to another doctor and that was the whole appointment.

This new doctor is a surgeon and maybe there is something he can do. I can only hope.

Also on a positive note my eating habits have been really good this week. The scale was not my enemy this morning :)

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I accomplished my fitness goals this week again! Two sessions at the gym, and one of them was longer than 30 minutes, and two ski sessions. I'm mostly glad for the skiing session on Saturday. After last week I was really worried about my shape, but yesterday it was fun to ski again and the body respond toed as expected. Someting must have been wrong with me on Sunday. I went the same track, but about 20 minutes faster, and I skied the whole time I didn't just walk on skis. It was great feeling that I could actually do this.

Now the coming week I'm off to the family's mountain cabin Friday-Monday, with the goal of doing a lot of skiing. So my plan for the week is
    Monday - skating (there's a skating by torchlight event on the lake in the evening that I want to go to)
    Friday-Sunday - skiing. I need to increase the distance I'm going each time so I'm hoping to be able to do at least 10 km a day in the weekend.

Sarge, Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Runjedirun likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I did a 7K trail run yesterday. I was about a minute slower per mile than my average road race time but I had fun; it was a great first experience and I would consider doing another one.

Those of you in colder climates—do any of you ride a bike outside in the winter? If so, what do you wear and are there any precautions you take with the bike (any differences in tire inflation)?

I can run outside all the way down into single digits but have not tried the bike at below 50 degrees.

5. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    this sounds so lovely! i saw a "christmas in europe" tv special one time that showed a nighttime Christmas eve ski with torches (somewhere in Austria I think)...it looked amazing!

if you ever get a chance to post a pic or two of your skating/skiing environs here (whether this event or something else), I'd love to see them!

I recently found an NPR podcast with a description of a 22-minute "exercise essentials" workout for beginners (below). It combines 10 minutes of high intensity interval cardio with 3 rounds (12 reps each) of basic strength/resistance exercises (modified push ups, squats, and a "rowing" type exercise using a towel) and then 4 minutes of stretching at the end. I gave it a first try today and liked it, so my goal for this week is to try to do it at least three more times during the upcoming week.

[​IMG]
    This 22-Minute Workout Has Everything You Need
    "If you've got 22 minutes, you can get an effective whole-body workout. Spreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg's personal trainer walks us through an interval session and explains the science behind effective exercise."

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Sarge, Juliet316 and Runjedirun like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This "only having caffeine on non-work days mostly" has definitely improved my sleep. Not sure about mood.

Sarge and Pensivia like this.
  7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I've biked outside below 35 degrees but it's not something I do often. Just wear a pair of running tights (obviously no chamois but still works), and a base layer under a long sleeve cycling shirt. I'd recommend shoe covers too. Keep the wind out of your shoes.

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I go by bike to work all year round, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow when they have warned that temperatures are going to drop to -15C. I basically dress for work, and then I put on a windproof layer outside of that. If it's really cold I put on a thermo layer. I go for just jeans until it's below freezing rather than the hazzle of putting on multiple layers, or a pair of track suit trousers over tights and a skirt. For the hands I wear a thin pair of knitted gloves inside a pair of windproof mittens, a big shawl or balaclava and then a cap. I do a winter check on the bike every second year, and one thing they do is that the exchange the oil in the gears for soething that can stand cold a lot better, still the gears freeze after a while when it's below -10 so then it's only to decide which gear you want to go on for the journey. I also have studded winter tires they are really the essential thing to keep biking when it's snow and ice on the streets. My trip takes 20 minutes in winter so it's not too bad, and I usually say that the worst part of biking in the winter is the time it takes to get dressd and undressed and not the biking itself.

9. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Does anyone have any experience with using some sort of "grounding strap" to avoid static electricity shocks during treadmill use? I sometimes get shocks when I'm wearing headphones that are plugged into my laptop (which sits on a "surf shelf" I have attached to my treadmill display). I've looked on Amazon, but only found one product specifically for treadmill use and it wasn't well reviewed.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @Guidman and @Obi Anne : Thanks for the info. :) The wind was what I was most worried about, with bike gears and tires being a close second.

Runjedirun and Guidman like this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I got a Fitbit for my birthday today. I'm definitely going to make good use of it. :)

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I shoveled a ton of snow this morning. It was heavy and frozen hard. Miserable way to get an upper body work out.

13. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I can do 10 actual pushups now. So that's something

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I went out skating by torchlight yesterday. I tried to take photos, but it was too dark for my mobile camera. It was lovely though. I didn't dare go as fast as I could, since it was impossible to see the cracks in the ice, but it was nice to just cruise around. I think I did around 8-10 km, it was a shortened circuit compared to the regular track so I don't really know how far I went.

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Has anyone here ever used Yaktrax's while running? I don't care about temperature but if it's icy out I won't run outside then. I can only run four miles on the treadmill before I lose my mind so if that can save that then it's something I'll happily look into.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have not but I follow a running group in which people in colder climates swear by them. I would certainly do it to avoid the dreadmill.

So I signed up for a half marathon at the end of March.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I got a rash all over my chest and belly, presumably from sweating in the cold while shoveling snow. Baby powder is making it go away.

I'm sure all of you really wanted to know that.

18. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Well, I'm now down to 155 lbs. If I lose 10 lbs more, I'll be at my original college freshman weight from over 10 years ago. I just had to buy a bunch of new pants. Hopefully I don't put the weight back on, but I have been cheating on my diet lately (had pizza for dinner tonight instead of the normal spinach salad!).

19. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I pulled something in my arm that I have been having trouble in my shoulder with, So not sure. It's like I can't do certain movements or bend it a certain way. I've rested in the past few days by not doing arm workouts and it's a little better, but I'm probably going to see a chiropractor.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Three weeks into this effort, keeping a solid daily caloric deficit and doing the 16:8 intermittent fast. 65 miles logged on my bike through January, and down 7 pounds for the month. Keep it rolling. Thank you all for the success stories and inspiration in here!

3sm1r, Sarge, Pensivia and 5 others like this.
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Controlling the few things I can control. The salads in lei of lean cuisines are working great. I've also been able to somehow eat less chocolate the past two weeks. My pants are definitely less tight. And this morning I swam 4,000 meters (2.4 miles). That's my longest swim in over 5 years!

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It's time to sum up the week, and this has been a week of outdoor activites. On Monday I skated around 8-9 km, I tried to take photos but it was too dark for my phone.

Then on Friday I went up to the mountains for some skiing. I didn't get out in the evening, it was already dark, and even if the prepared ski track has light, I still have to go 200-300 m in the dark through the woods, and since I hadn't even seen if there was an unprepared track to get there I didn't want to try and find it. Saturday was perfect. Sunny, hard and well-prepared tracks and -10. I started with 9 km around lunch, and then I skied the 3 km to the minim food store by the ski center for some grocery shopping, which meant some extra weight on the way back. This photo is from Saturday.

[​IMG]
    Today the weather was worse, with some light snow, and they hadn't prepared the tracks. I still went out and did the 4,5 km lap before lunch, and then in the evening I went out for another 4,5 km lap.

[​IMG]

The problem was of course getting to the track. To give you a bit of an idea of what it was like here is the unprepared track where it meets the prepared track so I got some light from that. (a good idea would have been to have a headlight)

[​IMG]

I managed to fall on the way back and splash right into the deep, soft and totally unsolid snow. I managed to get up, but I think I might have not sprained but stretched an ankle a bit.

My plans for the coming week are complicated by me going away over the weekend. They are also warning that there might be a lot of snow and wind tomorrow. If the weather is nice I'm hoping to do a 9 km lap before going home, and then go to the gym in the evening. If the weather is bad I want to do another 4,5 km lap. Then I'm hoping to be able to do some skiing on Thursday and maybe on Sunday when I come home. I'm also hoping that my foot won't hurt tomorrow. It's ok now so hopefully it won't get worse in the night.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Most impressive! How long does it take you to swim that far?

Pensivia and Runjedirun like this.
  24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    About one hour and 15 minutes.

Juliet316, Pensivia and Sarge like this.
  25. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I was working away from home over the last two weeks and I got in a fair bit of training with my colleagues. We did boxing circuits, runs, and weights sessions. I was happy to get back into lifting again and I'm incorporating this into my workout schedule now that I'm home again. I'm want to build muscle strength and endurance to help with my running and ability to lift my own weight.