main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  2. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Go Bucks baby.

JoshieHewls and christophero30 like this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I don't understand why Dabo would say that and give OSU extra motivation. One of the dumber things I've ever heard a coach say.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  4. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I watched literally every snap last year. Olave and Fields had next level chemistry. Every play.

And despite all the BS and missteps in the playoff...they had a chance late in the 4th. And that...that is when those two finally had a miscommunication.

One of the greatest QB's and one of my favorite WR's were going out with this as the enduring image...

[​IMG]

You don't always get second chances. You rarely get them in such similar circumstances.

But if you do, and that failure motivates you to bust your ass...

...it can be sugary sweet. [face_love]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Despite Dabo eating his words, he had a point. The Big Ten changed the rules in midstream to screw over Indiana and give one of their premiere teams a shot.

I hope Bama steamrolls Ohio State.

christophero30 likes this.
  6. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Those "rules" were so dumb it would've been 3-5 Penn State in the B1G title game not Indiana

This is a Dunk on Dabo thread now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  7. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I've yet to see a good argument for Indiana going to the Big Ten championship considering, you know, OSU beat them head to head.

Last night's game was a thing of beauty. Hoping for the same thing to happen with Bama.

8. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Do the jets take Fields? That Dabo with champagne one made me laugh.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Juliet316 and LloydChristmas like this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ^ if they're picking #2, they do.

i think osu has a reasonably good chance at beating alabama. jones has not faced a defense capable of interrupting his rhythm all year - closest was probably A&M, but they were only playing their second game as a unit. osu will do that, and they'll also put up points on a bama defense that has had a few bad games, and isn't their standard nfl-lite group. worst was against florida, who had trask run a bit - saban's defenses have historically struggled with mobile qbs, fields can obviously move around pretty well.

bama may end up a 4-5 point favorite, but it's a pick em for me.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    tom herman out at texas. would expect sark to be named their coach pretty quickly.

christophero30 likes this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Texas ended the year hot so a strange move unless you're bringing in Meyer, which they are not.

Juliet316, DarkEagle and heels1785 like this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    If Ohio State and Indiana had played the same number of games, I agree. But the Big 10 changed the rules in midstream so that Ohio State could go despite not playing the requisite number of games. Do you really think the Big 10 would have done that if the situations were reversed?

13. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    The fact of the matter is though that had OSU not had the rug pulled out from under them Michigan week that they would have been in the championship game regardless. Even a loss to Michigan would have been a sixth game and Indiana would have still missed out because of the head to head.

It was a stupid rule and, let's face it, these are extremely weird times that call for extenuating circumstances. And with the power of hindsight (OSU blowing out Clemson and Indiana struggling against a 4-5 Ole Miss), I'd say the Big Ten made the right decision.

Juliet316 and LloydChristmas like this.
  14. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Just to break this down...

• Indiana didn't get shafted. They lost their head-to-head matchup and themselves didn't complain. Which makes sense given Ohio State literally could've scheduled a random opponent, forfeited, and made the B1G title game at 5-1. A rule that motivates a team to do that is a broken rule.​

• Indiana wouldn't have played in the Big Ten Championship. They got hit late with the same COVID probs that gave them any chance in the first place. The rules-- hastily put in place so something like a 1-0 team couldn't qualify-- would've defaulted it to 3-5 Penn State...a team which lost to both IU and tOSU. That's a broken rule.​

• They were COVID-specific rules, already made out of flexibility. Like @JoshieHewls said, the pandemic is causing changes on the fly in every sport. The B1G changed their minds midstream to even play. Yes money was absolutely a factor, and there's a look of favoritism...but it's also a bad look to have your best team sitting undefeated at home while a 3-5 team makes the title game b/c your rules are that broken.​

• Ohio State likely makes the playoff w/o playing in the B1G title game. The CFP kept them above Texas A&M at 5-0, who only added a win over the 3-6 Vols after. And given the Buckeyes just throttled the consensus #2 49-28, I'd also say the committee made the right decision.
    To each their own re: rooting against them, but the real favoritism was the year they made the CFP over a Penn State team that beat them and won the B1G (and the conference did not change things around to help). Which happened to also be borne out in a Clemson playoff game.

BUT **** DABO NOW AHAHAHA

15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Oregon special teams killing it today. This ought to put the game away right here.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dazz Newsome...that was close.

He is my favorite person today given that he has to pick up for Brown, Carter and Williams for opting out.

LloydChristmas and heels1785 like this.
  17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Texas fan base does not seem thrilled with Sark. It could work, but it's a risk. But they were all (mostly) clamoring to fire their coach, so be careful what you wish for. I sometimes visit other fan forums, but I just lurk. I mean, how hard is it to draw up plays for the Alabama offense?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  18. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Hadn't watched any NC football until last night. Sam Howell looks...really good? If that was w/o your top weapons, he could have a great next season.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Howell is great. He’s even better with Dyami Brown but he functions pretty well regardless.

20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Notre Dame just got a grad transfer QB from Wisconsin named Jack Coan, which may help them go back to the playoff and get blown out next year. I like ND; they seriously needed this as Book is leaving and their other incoming QBs are freshman.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Luke02 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    heisman voters got it perfect this year. glad they didn't default to a qb. congrats to devonta smith, an unbelievably good season.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The ceremony was amazing.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Lawrence going pro to no one's surprise. I think you have to take him at one. Despite the last game he is clearly the best prospect.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    University of Tennessee at Chattanooga coach fired after posting racist Stacy Abrams tweet.

Rew, Luke02, PCCViking and 1 other person like this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005