main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I see there isn't one and I know there should be one, so here is the place for all things NCAA College Football, with a natural slant toward Division 1a, though 1aa, 2 and 3 are welcome too.

I'll start with a question:
    How about them Rutgers Scarlett Knights? Where did they come from?

And I am happy to see my USC Trojans back at number 3!

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    How about them Rutgers Scarlett Knights? Where did they come from?

Who knows, but if they beat WV they'll be looking at a BCS berth, and wouldnt that be shocking!

OSU-Michigan in 2 days, the battle to decide the regular season champion (if there was one). And I still think that the national championship game should be a rematch, assuming it is indeed a close game, no matter which way it goes.

3. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    If Michigan give OSU a good fight or wins, I agree with you. If OSU clobbers them, than I think not, as they have been nowhere near as dominant as the Buckeyes, though they look quite good (they were in a couple of close games, unlike OSU). That should be a great game though. It might be this year's version of last years USC vs. Notre Dame game (one of the best college football games of all time).

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    As I said in the JC thread, if UM wins, there shouldn't be a rematch, would be unfair to them after having won at OSU.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    As I said in the JC thread, if UM wins, there shouldn't be a rematch, would be unfair to them after having won at OSU.

And if OSU wins, thats not unfair to them?

6. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I agree with Rogue...Jedi: if it's close - rematch is acceptable.

Oh, and GO BLUE!

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    A rematch is only accepable if Rutgers loses a game. An undefeated team from a major conference should never be left out in favor of a one-loss team. Never*.

Having said that, if Rutgers loses, then the loser of the OSU-Michigan game should be compared to the other 1-loss on teams on the merits of their entire season. That means that losing your last game shouldn't count any more than losing your fifth game. You have to admit, the loser of this game can say something that no other 1-loss team can say: "My only loss is to the #1 team in the country". And that's hard to argue against.

*I would have made an allowment to this rule this year if Oklahoma's only loss had been the horrible blown call loss. But outside of circumstances like that, never.

8. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

Umm, unless I'm insane if Notre Dame runs the table and Michigan beats OSU that would mean ND's only loss also came against the number on team in the country. Factor in that the game was played in early September and the fact that ND will just be coming off an emotional victory against USC in LA and I think you've got a much better case for an ND/UM rematch than an OSU one.

No one is factoring in how difficult it will be for the UM/OSU loser to hold off the likes of the SEC champ, the winner of ND/USC, or an undefeated Rutgers. This is it for OSU/UM until January, they have nothing else to stock their resume and looking at OSU's schedule makes me believe they'll take a dive in the computer polls if they lose because they've played NO ONE all year.

That being said, Rutgers shouldn't be in the discussion because the Big East is not a major football conference. They do not play a major football schedule, and as such an undefeated record simply doesn't mean as much. Playing Howard and UConn don't really lend a lot of legitimacy to the team's abilities. I don't see human voters giving them the edge over the USC/ND winner even if they beat WVU. Remember, the USC/ND game will not be #3 vs #5 in the BCS. USC will undoubtedly move up to #2 and ND could move up to #4 is OSU loses. That's one helluva quality victory for either team that will be enough to propel them into the national title game. It's sealed and certain if Arkansas beats Florida, and still likely that ND would jump and maintain a BCS lead over the Gators if they win the SEC.

It's amazing how much Ohio State and Michigan have to lose in this game, but conversely how much Southern Cal and Notre Dame have to gain with their big matchup.

9. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004

Totally agree on the Rutgers point but unfortuantley I think they will be overlooked but if they run the table they have to be in with the winner of the OSU/Michigan game.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    EDIT: Never mind.

Yes, and I agree with DI's point, the loser of tomorrow's big game will have a very large upper hand on going to Glendale, especially if the loser is Ohio State, if Rutgers loses. I fear they may go to the title game if they win, which will make the championship about as boring as the GMAC Bowl.

11. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    On the contrary. Today's loser in finished in terms of the Title game. Whether Rutgers runs the table or not, too much has to happen to the other one loss teams, especially ND and USC. You'd need USC to lose to Cal and then beat ND. Nice thought but it's not going to happen.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If it's a blowout, then yes, EW. If it's not, and especially if OSU loses by a very close margin, the lead in the BCS will be too much.

And what if Michigan loses and Notre Dame wins out? Who do you think is going to the title game of those two?

13. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't believe how poorly Penn State is playing right now. Four lost fumbles in the first half! :mad:

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    South Carolina game starts ugly, they give up a 74-yard TD pass on the first play from scrimmage to go down 7-0 but then come back to win 52-7, with the last two being a TD pass from Tommy Beecher (career stats now: 1-1, 3 yards, TD) and an 88-yard run from Bobby Wallace (3rd/4th string RB). Nice to see them getting some action.

Blake Mitchell: 21-28, 388 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That is a very quick and crucial start for Michigan--silence the crowd for as long as you can, and force Troy Smith to play catch up.

Extraordinarily great start for Michigan.

16. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Less than 3 minutes and Michigan has scored. Is this game supposed to be high scoring?

Wisconsin has finished the season with only 1 loss (to Michigan).

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Michigan needs to STOP going man to man (or if it's zone, its being terribly run), right now.

His DBs are getting beat time and time again, and blitzing safeties on 3rd and 16 when you're ahead on the road is absolutely foolish.

18. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    7-7 as of now... this should be a great game.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Smart move by Lloyd Carr declining the penalty, when you can hold Ted Ginn to a 2 yard return, take it and run.

I can't comprehend why Michigan stays in man coverage.

20. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Looks like both team's defenses have woken up a little now. Should be good!

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Sorry, after watching this game, regardless of who wins, I don't want to see a team that lost to Oregon State or Auburn, or a team that got blown out at home by SoCal or Michigan, in the national championship.

These are absolutely the two best teams in football, and I want to see them again.

Best game of the season for me.

22. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    No doubt the OSU/UM game was the National Championship game.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd enjoy seeing an argument for Notre Dame, a team that got its doors blown off by that Michigan team, for anyone thinking that they could hang with Ohio State, even if they win out, I don't care. They still got absolutely embarrassed by one of the fellow contenders. I can see Troy Smith's first half stats resembling 300 yards passing and 4 touchdowns against that secondary.

If you lose to a team that got blown out by Boise St., you should not be allowed to be in the title game, that's just the way I see it. *crosses off USC in my book*

I think Arkansas and Florida will eliminate themselves, and Rutgers, even if they beat WVU, dear God I wouldn't want to see them try to play Ohio State, after they struggled with Louisville who, while good, is nowhere near the top tier.

24. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    QFT =D=
    What an amazing game.

Where can we lobby for a rematch?

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    dear God I wouldn't want to see them try to play Ohio State, after they struggled with Louisville who, while good, is nowhere near the top tier.

careful. sports history is littered with great teams that were beaten by huge underdogs.