main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2020 Deadpool-ish

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jan 7, 2020.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I had no idea until now that his last on screen film was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I gotta re-watch it sometime as it's one of my favourite bad movies. :p

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's a frustrating film. The first 30 minutes or so are pretty great, but once they introduce Captain Nemo, it gets realllllly dumb really fast.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Man I should really get around to actually watching Zardoz.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Could be worse -- could be Street Fighter. (or, for actual Connery, The Avengers)... :p

And I just woke up to read this and am sad -- tomorrow will be a Connery-watch-a-thon...

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i wondered for a while how he was since he really wasn't seen in years.
    what can be said? Larger than life.

Emperor Ferus and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Re: "Street Fighter", the movie itself was lacking, but Raul Julia turned in one hell of a performance.
    Now, Peter Sellers and "The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu", that's another matter.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    No. Street Fighter is a perfect film and I will not hear otherwise!
    And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Rogue1-and-a-half, dp4m and Ramza like this.
  8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Sad but not unexpected either. 90 and passing in your sleep in the Bahamas is not a bad way to go.

I just recently saw Finding Forrester on tv. That’s one of my favorites- especially the bike ride at night. I like to imagine that is what Sir Sean is doing now.

solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I guess I agree. I compare this movie with 2004's Van Helsing, and LoEG is vastly superior.

Master_Lok and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  10. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Sean Connery's 1986 - with the cult classic lowbrow Highlander in March and Name of the Rose in September was one of the great midcareer instantaneous readjustments in cinema history.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Love Connery but LOEG was a huge misfire. He actually retired because he was so disappointed. People in the theater were laughing at the CGI Hyde guy and his enormous head.

Sarge likes this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
  13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    A legitimately iconic actor with tremendous screen presence. What a great career. At 90, having left a tremendous legacy onscreen, you can’t say he didn’t have a great run.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Gave us the infamous "You're the man now, dog" meme.

Obviously a compelling screen presence and a true icon. Last Crusade is probably my favorite of his performances. It plays to his typical screen persona and also tweaks it. It's really, really wonderful. But Red October is right up there too.

And I just honestly don't know that Bond would have taken off without him. I just truly don't. I just can't imagine Dr. No working with anybody else. That's not that much of a movie; his performance and his presence is what carries you right through to the end.

Missed this when it was first posted. I'm kind of surprised that I hadn't heard of her, being a drummer and all, but I looked up some videos. She seems like quite a character and she had a great run. RIP to her.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    After all these years, Auric Goldfinger finally got what he expected. :(

*shobbing shoftly*

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Say what you want about that movie but it’s definitely memorable. Conceptually there really are some great idea in there.

soitscometothis likes this.
  18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Damn, I had been watching those Celebrity Jeopardy skits from SNL with the fake Sean Connery...so he was on my mind for a bit.

Sarge and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Name of the Rose is a fantastic film, a really underrated film that seems to be hardly be on tv at all.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I love "The Name of the Rose." Great adaptation.

Master_Lok and AndyLGR like this.
  21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I remember it being on TV quite a lot in the end of the 1990's, at least I think I lived at home back then. It took me a few viewings to really like it, I think I was a bit too young to understand it at first. Definitely a great film.

And I tried to make a vodka martini as a sendoff, but I failed since I didn't have any vodka at home.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    https://www.lucasfilm.com/news/sir-sean-connery-remembered/

“Sir Sean Connery, through his talent and drive, left an indelible mark in cinematic history. His audiences spanned generations, each with favorite roles he played. He will always hold a special place in my heart as Indy’s dad. With an air of intelligent authority and sly sense of comedic mischief, only someone like Sean Connery could render Indiana Jones immediately into boyish regret or relief through a stern fatherly chiding or rejoiceful hug. I’m thankful for having had the good fortune to have known and worked with him. My thoughts are with his family.”

— George Lucas

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

"I haven't changed my opinion."

24. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I wasn’t aware of this.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He certainly didn't treat his first wife very well.

But he and his second wife were married since 1975 and I've not heard of any incidents between the two of them.