main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2020 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 7, 2020.

1. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I’m not sure. They are the ASICS GT-4000. Id love if it was a shoe problem because I have another military buddy who said he experienced crazy foot pain, changed shoes, and now he’s running 6-7 miles at a time with no pain.

Ugh... it’s frustrating because without the pain, I wouldn’t have to stop during my runs to walk. My breathing is completely under control, even during faster runs.

I’m going to take tomorrow off, try to rub my foot, and stretch my calves.

2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This heatwave is still better than the freezing cold. Yes, I'm serious. So much less laundry. No layers to shed when I finally get warm. I just carry water and slow my pace. Garmin certainly doesn't understand it has categorized most of my runs this week as "unproductive", but that's because Garmin doesn't take heat and humidity into account. I like to do longer runs on Sundays, but I was really happy with 8 miles today. It was 77 degrees at 6:30 AM.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Guidman , Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm up to 25 push ups and 50 sit ups now.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought about switching to Garmin but my Apple Watch doesn’t scold as much. :p

5. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I've run into a problem. I can't run anymore due to my shorts no longer fitting. Too much a chance of them falling off. So I got to get new pairs. In meantime I can walk.

Interesting problem for me to have. Never had this, so that's good

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    For the first time in years I've had to cut a run short because of injury. My left calf muscle hurt too much to continue. Ironically, I'm sure the root cause is my trampolining, not my running, as I've never had this issue before.

Anyway, I slowly limped home feeling miserable. I'm going to have to rest up my legs for a little while. Totally gutted.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Today was the first time in almost three weeks when it wasn't either a heatwave (and I know our heatwaves have nothing on yours, but I can't do anything when it's around 30 degrees) or raining. That meant that I could go inline skating again, and this time I went a new route. I have to go the same way there and back, but it felt pretty easy. I think I went around 5 or 6 km before I turned, and I did end up with a new time around 50 minutes for 10 km. I still don't feel like I'm pushing myself, but I do feel sweaty when I get home.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    There's certainly a way to adjust this in the settings. I used to hate getting the warning that I appeared to have stopped working out. No more!

9. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    The only feature I can think of right now about my Garmin that is unwelcome is it's feedback. Today I ran 10 miles, it started out being the coolest morning in a while and this is the first week in at least a month where I had a decent schedule with regular bedtimes and working hours so it was a better pace, apparently I was "overreaching". So I run a good distance at a good pace and it still finds a way to criticize, LOL. You have to take the feedback with a grain of salt. I'd actually love to try the Apple watch, but that would require getting an Apple phone. I've never had an Apple phone. Once I had an I-pad because my former workplace gave several away one year at a Christmas party and I got one, but once it stopped doing updates I replaced it with this here HP laptop. Been very happy with my laptop. I'm not against Apple, it's just pricey.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve had an iPhone since 2012 after a bad experience with a Samsung phone. My husband has a Google Pixel and I can’t even figure out how it works, lol. It does have a great camera though, the pictures he takes are phenomenal.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm up to 50 push ups and 50 sit ups per night, and I no longer feel weak the following morning. Going to up it.

12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am finally taking control of my emotions and reactions. After this job threw me into a very negative tailspin (stressed me out so much I developed gastritis), decided I had to stop reacting to their perpetually awful ways of doing things to protect myself. Stress is dangerous for my immune system.

So yesterday, I challenged myself not to react or think negatively the whole day. I also stretched and walked around yesterday, did some deep breathing and just kept myself completely even keel. Being grateful again too.

I did it. :)

Working on this again today. The real trick is maintaining this at work. I can do it. I’ll deal with the termination or my resignation when it comes: know what I want now and what to avoid. I have choice and am very lucky considering.

So back to good things here.

@I Are The Internets That is great. =D=

@soitscometothis Hope your calf is okay now.

Hope everyone here is well otherwise.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    @Master_Lok thanks, but it's still dodgy. I can walk on it, but that's it. Running is completely out, trampolining too, I think. I've been doing a little work with weights (very little, I'm skinny), but that's it. It's frustrating, but I know everyone here knows what it's like.

14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [:D]

I sure do. Hope it heals for you soon.

Still waiting on the muscles on the right side of my ribs to heal.

soitscometothis likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, something I'm wondering about and if it happens to anyone else.

I'm pretty useless at exercise, there are some reasons for this, but one of the main ones is this: As I get more tired, so goes my sense of coordination and, in most exercise, that kind of matters quite a bit. Don't do exercises with the right form and the benefits either reduce or go out the window entirely, possibly add in injury or strains too.

16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I can relate. That's why I walk and stretch gently now.

I am on day three of my mind over matter thinking, and so far so good. :) Kept cool as the job lobbed stupidity at me this morning.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Sarge, Runjedirun and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Are you tired from the stress of the state of the world right now? I can relate. In order to fall asleep at night I have to listen to audio of something completely unrelated to real life so my mind can relax and sleep. Bed times are important too, even for us adults. You should go to bed and get up relatively the same time everyday, even days we don't work. Sometimes work schedules don't allow that, but schedules if you can have them are super important. Another thing, most people I know who exercise in the morning do have coffee first. Hopefully that helps.

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sleeping doesn't tend to be a problem - the world's, well,$%^£"& up right now, but not much I can do about it - do sometimes get hit by the 'head won't shut down' effect, which means I'll be half-awake, half-dozing until about 2-3am, around then the rebellious brain gets overwhelmed by tiredness and gives up.

I'm good for 10-15 mins, after that? Goes off the rails. Starting to think that might be the answer, lots of frequent 10-15 mins over the day.

.... Well, there is one other reason: Exercise is really boring, if headphones don't work for you - and they don't for me.

Sarge and Master_Lok like this.
  19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I definitely now the pain of headphones. I even bought an expensive exercies pair, and they just fall off my ears

Ezio Skywalker and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In my experience, frequent short workouts are the best for me. I get more exercise that way, and it keeps my metabolism cranked up all day. When I'm at the lake in the summer and can go swimming half a dozen times a day, that's when I lose weight and feel strongest.

21. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    First run since my injury. Everything was fine until about 25 minutes in, then pain in my lower left leg. I stopped and walked back home. Not worth risking making it worse, especially if it turns out to be a tendon problem rather than muscular. Still frustrating though, it's great running weather.

I'll try again next Saturday.

Master_Lok, Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    When coming back from injury try running one minute walking 5 minutes. Do those intervals for a total of 20-30 minutes. Add longer running intervals as you get stronger. I know you want to jump back in, but that will more than likely keep you out if running for longer.

23. Darth_Diealot

Darth_Diealot Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2020
    Another idea: Did you check if your magnesium intake is suficcient? Is it hot when you are experiencing these problems?

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    The best running headphones, in my experience, are rarely over $40. Skullcandy's Ink'd Wireless usually works for me (right around the $40 mark usually), but I've had to take advantage of their warranty every year or so because I've never had a Skullcandy set last longer than about a year. On the bright side, Skullcandy will always replace these for free (minus the cost of you shipping back the broken set).

However, I've found this set here to be consistently good:

$20, wireless/bluetooth with the over the ear hooks to keep them in place. I've had these for like 3 years now without any issues at all. Plus they're water resistant (Skullcandy is not), which means that if the sky rips open with a sudden downpour while you're running, you aren't endangering your headphones.

I haven't visited these boards for the past several months. Outside of this thread, it seems to me that the majority of the members here are basically online bullies--the kind of people who have keyboard courage. They attack anyone who doesn't share their views on social events and politics. It's become (or maybe it's always been?) a giant echo chamber. Everyone must agree with Perspective A. If you lean ever so slightly towards Perspectives B or C, the keyboard warriors will attack and attack, without any respect for the fact that people have different walks of life and therefore, diversity can also carry over to worldview.

That said (and I'm certain I've said this in this thread before), I think this thread truly stands out as a "diamond in the rough" so to speak. In this thread, you all here genuinely try to encourage each other towards goals, share your struggles and victories, as everyone works towards the mutual goal of increasing overall fitness. Regardless of fitness level, everyone in this thread seems to make others feel welcomed and encouraged.

Now, back onto topic. Had my fight night of sparring yesterday after 4 months (since gyms had initially closed). First we had to do 30 minutes of shin conditioning drills--basically doing shin roundhouse kicks nonstop into incredibly hard heavy bags (which a part of me still suspects were stuffed with rocks :p).

My fights went well. I tied together a lot of the combos my trainer had been teaching me (and that I've been working on during my home workouts). Then I had to go up against him a couple times. He's still on a way different level, but I was actually able to score some modest hits. Afterwards, he gave me a talk about how far I've come and how he enjoys watching me fight because, I guess, he could see his own influence as a teacher. It was pretty cool (though I get awkward with compliments :p).

Having been on furlough since the start of this whole pandemic (and with federal unemployment benefits about to end), focusing on working out and fitness has become a great outlet for stress. Looking for work nowadays seems to be as difficult as it was when I graduated into the 2008 recession, so there's not really much control many of us have over our lives in that regard. But fitness is one thing that I can still control, so it feels good to have that at least.

At the start of the quarantine, I was at 139 lbs (not deliberately--just because of so much working out and training that my body was constantly burning calories). I had decided to see if I could bulk back up, so I went on a calisthenics workout routine combined with a modified carnivore diet. Now I'm at 160 lbs. It's cool to have those visual results of effort, unlike, say the job hunting thing. Four months of effort and no real rewards yet. :(

Juliet316 and christophero30 like this.
  25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm trying to do 100 body weight squats a day and walk for an hour a day if I can.

Juliet316 and Ezio Skywalker like this.