main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2020 Oscars (Discussion, Predictions)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jean-Luc Picard, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    If you’re saying to yourself “maybe it’s click-bait” a good rule of thumb is “it is.” :p

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Just read that Criterion will be releasing the Oscar-winning Parasite on physical media. It will also release Bong's Memories of Murder, which is currently OOP on DVD.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    brb, I need to learn morse code in case there's a crazy guy hiding in a hidden basement room just in case.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It pays to play it safe! :D

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, it was critically successful, without a doubt. But that specific creative experiment within the film that I was referring to was not. However, those who didn't notice or recognize that facet of the film, like yourself, are probably more inclined to have a more positive opinion of the film (unless they have a negative reaction to the film and can't identify the exact pillar of the film that isn't working, but we'll call them "Category C" and move on ;)). But those who are looking at the larger picture and identify that facet will probably have a more mixed assessment of the movie.

And, when a picture comes down to that situation, I'm going to definitely analyze the problem through an editor's mindset. And what that reveals is a film that faced making a fundamental decision of structure/style vs story/character and decided not to choose. Which is a perfectly valid choice (as established by the "Free Will" sub-clause in the Articles of Rush ;)), but one that is going to be inherently risky with more variable results amongst viewers on a creative level. In this case, he rolled the dice and came up with two 1's. And, if viewers/critics think he's playing Monopoly, then that will seem fine to them. The only problem is that he's really playing Craps ;).

That said, to bring this full circle, it was obviously critically acclaimed. And, while it is possible for a film to be both that and overrated, I recognize that I'm probably in the minority when it comes to Roma- and I certainly factor that into my review and recommendation of the film since I generally strive to remove myself from the focus and factor in my reaction to that of others/those around me (granted, this is somewhat more difficult when dealing with a Netflix movie, but it's still not in a vacuum).

That sums up my review of both Roma and The Irishman almost word for word! ;)

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, there you are, like I said, it's not for everyone! :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I did hear a rather neat quote that sums up how to review any movie :

"...yeah , it's alright , if you like that sort of thing."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yeah that's a good quote, if you like that sort of thing ;)

BigAl6ft6 and gezvader28 like this.