main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2020 Oscars (Discussion, Predictions)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jean-Luc Picard, Jan 11, 2020.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Interesting deviations from the SAG awards...

Saiorse Ronan in over Lupita for Best Actress.
    Antonio Banderas and Jonathan Pryce over Taron Egerton and Bale.

EDIT: Director deviation has Todd Phillips over Taika Waititi.
    EDIT2: And wow, only Knives Out missed for Best Picture...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm actually going to see Weathering With You on Wednesday; I actually have high expectations for it (which is ironically not what I had when I watched The Missing Link over the weekend). It's disappointing that WWY wasn't even nominated for Animated Feature; but I guess the timing of its North American release might've had something to do with it. You know how the Academy feels about foreign animated films.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, basically, the takeaway is that Oscar voters are giving a looooooooooooot more love to Joker than the individual guilds at large. Which is odd, considering I thought that the guild awards and the Oscar awards for specific things (writing, directing, acting, cinematography, etc.) were voted on by only the guild members...

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Love all the nods for Joker. Makes me feel we could get some more R-rated, serious comic book movies in the future. Love it. Great movie.

I'm still annoyed that I didn't get to see Parasite due to a medical procedure back when it was out here. I can't wait to see it, but it won't be before the Oscars I don't think.

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Lighthouse deserved more nominations. Cinematography -necessary but not sufficient.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope Neymar finally gets his lifetime achievement award for the best "I am about to die on a football field" performance.

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Gerwig deserved that Best Director nom way more than Phillips did.

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Vote!!

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The visual effects Oscar will get interesting:

Shortlist:
    “Alita: Battle Angel”
    “Avengers: Endgame”
    “Captain Marvel”
    “Cats”
    “Gemini Man”
    “The Irishman”
    “The Lion King”
    “1917”
    “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
    “Terminator: Dark Fate”

NOMINEES
    AVENGERS: ENDGAME
    Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Matt Aitken and Dan Sudick
    THE IRISHMAN
    Pablo Helman, Leandro Estebecorena, Nelson Sepulveda-Fauser and Stephane Grabli
    THE LION KING
    Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones and Elliot Newman
    Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler and Dominic Tuohy
    STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
    Roger Guyett, Neal Scanlan, Patrick Tubach and Dominic Tuohy

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I want it to be Cats

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's hard to say that when even her peers didn't think she deserved a nod -- but I take your word for it, since they also didn't think Phillips was worthy.

What I am finding interesting is that most of the "snubs" -- i.e. where Oscars are different from the guild awards are.... largely making #OscarsSoWhite again, proving everyone's learned nothing. (and more male in some cases)

JLo -> Pugh
    Waititi -> Phillips
    Lupita -> Ronan
    Jamie Foxx -> Anthony Hopkins (Best Supporting Actor)
    Booksmart -> Once Upon A Time In... Hollywood (Best Adapted Screenplay)

Only Antonio Banderas (from a cursory glance) appears to go the other direction...

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    oscar nominee rian johnson. good for him!

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Wait, what? If the overwhelming majority of the directors' branch is male, then it's not hard to see why the female directors almost always get shut out.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's a fair point, but the individual guilds are generally (not always, but generally) better about this than the Academy at large. Certainly if they didn't feel Phillips was good enough, why they replaced one of two POC with him and not Gerwig is... puzzling.

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ^I rarely get so close to succeed when I attempt predictions.

Joker is strange. The critics was so negative that I didn't go to watch the movie, and now it gets big nominations.

Brad Pitt nomination is a bit excessive perhaps. I did love him but I wouldn't give him an Oscar for a similar role.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't see LIttle Women, and Gerwig may well have deserved a nod. But that doesn't mean Todd Phillips didn't. Phillips did a masterful job directing Joker.

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Whether you're looking at the DGA noms or the Oscar ones, they're still shutting out pretty much all female directors. I feel bad for them - it's already hard enough to get taken seriously in such a male-dominated industry, and when they do manage to make a great movie, not even a nomination. :(

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Believe me, no one here knows about that better than I do. It's just that I don't think any of these male directors were undeserving of their noms either. We shouldn't nominate Gerwig just to have a woman in there. THAT would be insulting.

heels1785 and epic like this.
  20. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, going to have to agree to disagree on that one.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hm I mean who cares about critics for one thing. Its audience score on RT is 88%. And that performance from Phoenix is great. Directing actors is the #1 job of a director. So I think Phillips definitely deserved it.

22. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    IMHO, she (Gerwig) deserved a best director nomination. Did she get one for screenplay/adaptation?

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    She did.

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    There are at least two directors nominated not on the actual achievement of their latest movies, but largely, I suppose, based on career trajectory and/or popularity. I think at least one if not two directing nominations could have gone to directors who did an amazing job - and also would have brought more diversity to the category. But that would have required voters to discount the automatic advantage that white het male privilege brings to film directors, which clearly isn't something they're prepared to do.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Klaus was excellent, and I'm glad to see it get a nomination here, when it missed out on the nomination at the Golden Globes.