main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2020 Oscars (Discussion, Predictions)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jean-Luc Picard, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I mean, they would be radically different movies if they were directed by Scorsese or Tarantino.

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Exactly, which in many ways is kind of the point. We need to recognise more fresh talent and of course some of them have a new way of doing things, artistic expression is always evolving.
    Tarantino was a fresh voice in the early 90s just as Scorsese was in the late 60s/early 70s. But there can be no question they benefitted from white het male privilege which goes a long way in Hollywood (admittedly there are some important stars and directors who have been closeted - and were safe as long as they stayed closeted)

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It would be a pretty big upset if 1917 didn't win? [face_thinking]

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd actually bet more on Once Upon a time for Tarantino to finally win the big one (the Academy is big on giving people "their due" for a career. But to be fair the movie is awesome) but 1917 would be close behind and Paratise could be the dark horse 3rd place that could slip into first (it's a weighted vote not first to the post). Everyone is just has to look happy when they lose, basically.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, given the SAGs last night I'd generally say that Phoenix and Zellweger are the likely winners (and hearing nothing about Judy prior to the GGs it's a bit weird), but if you're looking for a dark horse over 1917 I'd bet on Parasite given they took home best cast.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    I think this is going to be one of those years where Director and Picture end up going to different films.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Haven't seen 1917 but will soon. All buzz seems to point to it winning. My only preference right now is to see Pacino win for The Irishman. Thought he was excellent. Better than Pitt IMO, who was also good. Rian Johnson is probably no chance for a screenplay win, but nice to see him nominated.

How's this for a surprise. Rise of Skywalker: 3 nominations. Avengers Endgame: 1. Same thing with the British academy awards. I get that they're technical & music awards but usually a film like Endgame that's held in higher esteem by the audience & critics would get more recognition.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Maybe Disney pushed Rise of Skywalker harder. The studios indirectly have say in which of their films get nominated. It was also more recent than Endgame which is another big factor.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    John Williams about to be losing yet again for score is kind of annoying, he has the biggest nomination streak at 50+ nominations but hasn't won in like 25 years, it's gettin' weird at this point. (Loved his TROS score but I love all of his Star Wars work)

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Plus the advertising campaigns. Although sometimes those are just one man with a dream and a cow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Rogue1-and-a-half, BigAl6ft6 and tom like this.
  12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    What if he wins?

Juliet316 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'll admit I haven't heard the Marriage Story score yet, but of the other four, I'd really love to see Guonadottir take it for Joker. It's a fantastic score. And film scoring is one area where women just never get recognized, so that would be a nice bonus.

End of the day, just so Desplat loses though.

tom likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Maybe he'll win next year when he is nominated for ______ Spielberg movie. West Side Story, I guess? It's been a stupid long drought, though. And I think it'd be great if by some 5% chance he wins for Star Wars cause he's been doing a fantastic job on it for 9 movies over 40 decades. (and that little Han Solo theme he wrote for Solo was pretty upbeat too). I'm usually not into the Oscar for the career recognition but it'd be great if Williams got it for the Star Wars work he's done (although he did win for his first and best score in 77 so there's that). Just the fact he keeps getting nominated and hasn't won for 20+ years is befuddling. It seems Laura Dern is getting "Career award" for Marriage Story which she is good as always in the film but saying it's her best is odd. Heck, I thought she was better as Holdo in Last Jedi frankly. ("A stormtrooper and a who are doing what now?!")

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    What makes you say he's got anything to do with WSS? I believe they're using the Elmer Bernstein score. And he's not credited with having anything to do with the film. [face_dunno]

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I assumed Williams would be working on it because the last few years he's either done a Spielberg movie or a Star Wars movie.

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    They very rarely award a score for a sequel, where many of the themes & motifs are re-used from earlier movies. That's understandable, so it's great that he continues to be nominated. Which he has been for all 3 sequels, & that's pretty much the highest accolade considering he's scoring his 7th-9th SW films. He is unlucky to never win for SW after ANH though. A notable exception to the sequel rule was Howard Shore who won for both FOTR & ROTK.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    TBH, I didn't feel any of his ST scores deserved to be nominated.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    even his score for the original star wars was a blatant ripoff. he's a hack!

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Too bad the Academy refused to listen to you :p

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    All 3 sequels have been nominated for their score. None of the prequels were. Controversial.

For interests' sake, here's the history of Star Wars at the Oscars:

[​IMG]

ANH won an additional special achievement Oscar for its alien & creature work.
    In total: 37 nominations, 7 wins.
    Haven't won since 1984.
    By trilogies: OT = 19 noms, 7 wins. PT = 5 & 0. ST = 12 & 0 (pending).

heels1785 likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't have anything against Williams being nominated for the SW movies; but playing Devil's Advocate, the scores on the latest batch of movies aren't so dramatically different from the original. You get essentially the same opening number as the scrolling text rolls for TROS as you did for ANH back in '77. But that shouldn't take anything away from JW himself. It's not like he's been snubbed in the long run.

John Williams Awards (and Nominations)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Watched a few of the nominated documentaries on Netflix. "Life Overtakes Me" is a fairly heavy short documentary (40 minutes, up to yourself if you think that qualifies as a "short") about refugee kids suffering from "resignation syndrome" where they just totally blank out and end up in a coma like state. It's a bummer.... and I just read that it's apparently based on a hoax, sheesh! Well, heavy watch anyway. Wonder if this story will pick up steam if it wins. Although in the documentary they also say that people claim that resignation syndrome is fake.

Other two on Netflix in best feature length documentary, Edge of Democracy and American Factory. The first one is kind of a slog and the voiceover is sort of deliberately so, but it does talk about the collapse of democracy in Brazil a coup by right wing conservatives on the basis of the government being "corrupt". I'm too dumb to follow all of the details, and there is a hell of a lot of them, and it's pretty long 2 hours, but it does pay off in a truly harrowing way with people being railroaded for strongman pro military factions taking over the government.

American Factory, which the Obama's production company worked on which may give it a boost at the Oscars, is a pretty compelling watch about a US factory that is taken over by a Chinese company and both American and Chinese workers are put on the same job. There's some mismatched cultural scenes but also slowly the Chinese workers take over the plant's supervisory jobs which comes to a head on a Union vote for the workers. It's an odd but watchable clash of two types of work styles and how it becomes kind of snarky on both sides, the Chinese workers are shocked the Americans work only so little hours comparatively, and sometimes just kind of terrifying where people are straight up fired for attempting to unionize. Out of the two feature ones, I'll pick this one mostly because it's sort of great at showing the East vs. West working cultures split and how it's becoming harder and harder for anyone to keep a job in the face of automation and falling wages.

In other news, the Hollywood Reporter Anonymous Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot is out for some fun insight. Best one is right off the jump:

"Little Women was badly acted and confusing, and I have no idea why they cast four British actresses to play American girls. [Emma Watson and Florence Pugh are British, but Saoirse Ronan is Irish-American, and Eliza Scanlen is Australian.] And every time they said they were poor, I gagged — they're living in a beautiful two-story house, and they have a cook. Jojo Rabbit was cute, but I found myself unable to laugh about Hitler — I don't think that's funny. Marriage Story was phony: You don't have an off-Broadway director and an off-Broadway actress living in a nice house with no day job — if an off-Broadway actor makes $150 a week, that's a lot. If someone besides Martin Scorsese had directed The Irishman, it wouldn't have all the accolades; it does because of his years in the business. It was too long and too repetitive, and the reverse-aging did not work — they erased the lines in their faces, but they still walked like old men. [Francis Ford] Coppola got it right in The Godfather when he had different actors play the characters when they were young and when they were old. Besides, I didn't care about any of the people in the movie. I really liked Ford v Ferrari — I loved the two actors and the moral of the story — and I wish they had promoted it more; it's worthy of more attention than it has gotten. Parasite is beautifully done, but it didn't hold up the second time, and I don't think foreign films should be nominated with the regular films. I liked Joker more than I thought I would; I put off seeing it for a long time, but it was actually a beautifully done film about mental illness, and I thought about it for a long time afterward, which is always a good sign. I loved 1917, but Quentin Tarantino's film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, was even better the second time than the first. I was in L.A. in the '60s, and I thought he captured that era perfectly. 1917 was a very good but pretty straight-on story about the horrors of war; Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was more complicated and stayed with me longer."

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Edge of Democracy should be essential viewing for young people living in a democracy that’s on the edge. Learn how to spot the autocrats and defeat them before they get too far.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    All of the short documentaries nominated for this year's Oscars are between 35-40 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020