main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena 2020 Summer Olympics - Tokyo Japan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Dec 10, 2019.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Damn, it's almost over. Oh well, that means late night programming comes back. Already looking forward to the Winter Olympics, Peacock has been pretty good on coverage, and the best part is, no commercials*.

*I signed up for the Premium Package because I'm sharing it anyway with family so might as well go all out.

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Pensivia The Winter Olympics could be a bigger crapshow then this was considering they are in six months and China is starting to get hit with the Delta variant:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/pol...reports-96-new-cases-it-battles-delta-variant

The health officials in China are actually pushing to change the "zero covid policy" as they see it's really not possible especially with the Winter Games coming:

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-...ese-health-experts-call-change-zero-tolerance

You add in the fact that there is growing tensions between the West and China already therefore the Tokyo Games could very well look like a picnic compare to the upcoming Winter Games.

The US won the gold medal count in the end edging out China at the very end:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story...a-most-golds-tokyo-games-first-overall-medals

This is also the second most ever medals won by a US team as only the 84' team won more medals. I see a double scoop of vanilla ice cream flying thru a room somewhere at a crappy Florida Golf Resort for some reason. :)

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    Morhad Amdouni embarrass France with his poor sportsman behaviour in the marathon. He deliberately knock all the water bottles off the water station and grab the last for himself. :(

LloydChristmas likes this.
  5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I might very well be wrong on the opinion below, and given that it's a super delicate topic I somehow feel like this premise was necessary.

Now, with this premise, what I believe is that either you cancel the gender division in sport completely -and then cis-women are going to win virtually zero medals, at least in the close future- or there must be *some* parameter to determine who can compete in the women category.
    To me, the testosterone level seems fair enough to determine whether the women category is accessible or not to a given athlete.
    My understanding is that Mboma was barred from another competition due specifically to this issue.

If we decide that women and men's division in sport should not be determined by any chemical/biological parameter, then I don't fully get why the division even exists.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What's interesting to me is that it feels like we've created two separate systems: one for women where people can't be have too much natural advantages, and one for men where the literal peaks of the human condition and beyond will be allowed to compete against the rest of us. To me, that's unfair. If there's going to be caps on who can be in the women's categories, then there should be these for men as well.

solojones likes this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    In boxing there are categories, I think based on weights, so I was wondering whether in the future we might see in most sports some more rational partitioning than men/women, based on some characteristics of the athlete's anatomy (weight, height, or others). Or maybe I'm talking nonsense I dunno.

8. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah we could probably do with ditching the "men" and "women" label, since people exist outside of that binary in both gender AND sexual characteristics. Have like an open level of competition, and have one defined by a set of parameters (a certain testosterone level or whatever). You see this kind of distinction at college track meets, where there may be an "open" 100m and then a 100m for NCAA-eligible athletes.

It'd also open up the possibility of like Ledecky branching out to dust dudes in the pool, which could be dope.

We'd need to ensure all programs get adequate funding & such though, since women's sports still struggle for equality and it's not like the forces causing that will suddenly look kindly on expressly adding non-binary/intersex/transgender/etc. people to the mix. And how we determine eligibility should never involve asking a ****ing 13-year-old to drop her pants.

It'd require a big shift in how we talk about sports and some tinkering of things like Title IX in the States, but hey.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    DarthIntegral and 3sm1r like this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Best to just defund sports altogether and turn it back into a casual hobby.

Darth Guy, Lord Vivec and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    FNC clutches it's pearls and gets upset that basketball players celebrated after winning a gold model:

I wonder if they would printed that article if it were a bunch of white players?

[​IMG]

jcgoble3 and Juliet316 like this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    drunk youngsters !

oh wait these guys are over 30 .

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    They wrote it as "drunk". Again think they write it that way if they were white and especially conservative? Nope. It say "USA basketball celebrities gold in style".

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  14. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Did you...did you read the link Tony posted

DarthIntegral likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Lowbacca_1977, jcgoble3 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I found the mixed swimming relay pretty fascinating: you had men and women racing against each other; each team had two of each and could place them in any order in the relay. That's something I suppose...

jcgoble3 and Coruscant like this.
  18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    For Tom Brady they said "partying". For the USA Basketball team they said "drunk". For the white player they used to like they played it off he was just having a good time. The Black players they don't like though? Yeah they made sure to make it sound way worse then it was since that is what they do.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    I mean "Drunk Tom Brady" is literally the headline but anyway. Fox News can still suck it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Japan athlete to get nibbled gold medal replaced
    My only question: what did it taste like?

solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, and since he was part of a relay run the other runners stand to lose their medals if he loses his.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005