main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena 2020 Summer Olympics - Tokyo Japan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Dec 10, 2019.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    far too much money wrapped up in the olympics, mainly via sponsorships, for the united states to boycott.

american sprinter alyson felix is going to her fifth olympics. silver medalist in the 200m at athens 2004, six golds and two more silvers since. remarkable story.

Juliet316 and Guidman like this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    sorry dp, i was referring to the beijing winter olympics story (that i didn't realize was from two weeks ago). i don't think it's far-fetched for these upcoming summer olympics to be postponed or closed to the public.

Juliet316 and dp4m like this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Adam Hills made an excellent joke about this on Last Leg, which you probably don't get in the US.

dp4m likes this.
  5. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    “Man, Japan absolutely crushed it in 2020! I wonder what their secret was…”

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    just confirmed that spectators will not be allowed in venues at these olympic games.

EHT likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So not even no international spectators -- no spectators at all. Japan's screwed...

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's a good idea... the only way it even potentially makes sense to proceed with the games right now.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What they could do is that on the first evening of the Olympics, give each and every track and field contestant a bag of syringes of the J&J Covid vaccine. They all run to public venues and vaccinate people like mad. The athlete that vaccinates the most people in the shortest amount of time gets the gold medal. I don't see how any of this could go wrong.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    May as well not even hold games until 2024 at the earliest at this point.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No. Goku as Olympic ambassador must happen, damn the tourism money.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Delta variant is a ****show. Now more than ever we should just wall ourselves up inside our dwellings. Japan has the luxury of being able to wall off its islands and should be allowed to go back to doing that. I feel sorry for everyone involved, but even more so if they end up dead.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So in order to fill time are the athletes going to stand around bragging about their abilities and staring at each other menacingly?

Jedi Merkurian , Rylo Ken and Ramza like this.
  15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Juliet316 Had the Japan vaccine rollout not had multiple issues from doing an unnecessary trial late in the game which delayed the rollout to a bunch of young people hacking the sign up systems and cutting in line, they most likely would not be in a state of emergency and would be allowing speculators at 50% capacity with masks on. Heck as @I Are The Internets mentioned it could been a great way to get people vaccinated like they done at MLB games this year.

@Rylo Ken Yes the Delta variant is a bleepshow.....for the unvaccinated. For the vaccinated things are quiet *knock on wood* on the homefront. Again Japan completely blunder their vaccine rollout due to a variety of issues (some out of their control, some not) therefore had they not, their would be spectaculars allowed all be with masks on especially at outdoor events since they are so much safer obviously.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If they have to postpone again it will be time for the Winter Olympics..

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    They are not going since they cannot. What they should done is move the games to someplace which much better vaccine % among the population. Heck spread the games over a couple countries if you have to. I know that be logistically a nightmare but so is having them in a health emergency like Tokyo is right now.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not sure where you'd move them to at the short notice they had. When we had the 2012 Olympics in London they had around 5 years to build the infrastructure for it. And I think some of the facilities are still there but some have also been repurposed.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Or cancel both the Summer and Winter Olympics and just hold the next one in Summer of 2024 in Paris, since China is in similar straits to Japan right now.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Only problem with that is not knowing what the situation might be like in 2024. I hope we won't still be having stuff like lockdowns due to yet another Covid variant.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    permapandemic

DarthIntegral and Juliet316 like this.
  22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And the games have kicked off with the softball tournament and women's soccer tournament.

24. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    I known it's easy for me to say from thousands of miles away and no emotional investment in the event whatsoever, but just cancel the damn thing.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Sometimes an outsider's view is the best one.

Juliet316 likes this.