main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena 2020 Summer Olympics - Tokyo Japan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Pensivia and Luke02 like this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Watching the syndicated Opening Ceremonies now. As I see all of these former Soviet Union territories marching in as independent countries, it's hard to even fathom how it was before the mid-1980s; did the Soviet Union all march in with one delegation - like 1000 athletes for one country?

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    There wouldn’t have been as many athletes because there are a limited number of spots for each competing team.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Understandable.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ok that opening ceremony was pretty dull apart from - that drone-light show ! That was awesome , was it really done with flying drones ? how would they ever keep so steady?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Pensivia likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Not that shocking.

7. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    So I'm at the gym, they got our ladies soccer game on. Took me a moment as they're in red not white to recognize them. But we're up by 1 over NZ. only 13 min in

8. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Twice Heath has been denied by offsides.

And they keep showing Alex Morgan on the sidelines more than people on the field

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Wish I didn’t have work I would definitely be watching, but I don’t think my boss would care for me watching the Olympics. Then again he doesn’t care if I use the internet.

10. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Three straight 1-hitters for Team USA softball. Just amazing.

And they still might find themselves in a dogfight with Japan, the reigning champs (from 2008) who are also 3-0 and hitting well.

Should be fun.

mnjedi, jcgoble3, dp4m and 1 other person like this.
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, it was done with drones. After the NBC live morning broadcast of the ceremony yesterday, one of the commentators in their Olympic news show afterward got their hands on one of the drones and showed it close up on camera. It was a very lightweight drone made of transparent parts with a large light fixture in the center, possibly LED.

As for how it was so steady, most likely the whole swarm was controlled by a single computer that kept them in sync.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Here's the thing, Japan should be utterly forgiven for having a rather modest opening ceremony this year. The entire Olympics was postponed last year, and given that they were forced to consider social distancing rules and limited capacity gatherings, how much collaboration could they have used while the pandemic was still going strong in the country? I have a soft spot for Japan. I visited there in 2010 and despite I was like a duck out of water in terms of the language, the people were very kind and helped me through when I needed it. I was happy for them when they earned the hosting job of the Olympics, and was imagining what they're opening ceremonies could've been like. We'll never know what it might've been if there were no COVID; but I'm not faulting them for how it turned out. It was modest and above all suggested the important message of unity, which is something a lot of these host countries don't really do much of.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    USA doing really good in the swimming events.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We were watching swimming, but that Softball walk-off looked amazing...

jcgoble3 and LloydChristmas like this.
  15. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    It was. The US's bats still need to wake up, but Haylie McCleney has been the best hitter in the tourney-- her legging out a single is what set up the winner (which was her bolting in to score from 2nd).

Now we've got a fun scenario with Canada-Japan up next-- if Canada wins, and then Japan beats Team USA tmrw...it'll be a three-way tie at the top. Tiebreaker after H2H is runs allowed, which is why those 1-hit shutouts are extra important for USA. But it also means literally the *number* of runs in this very next game could determine who plays for the gold.

If Japan wins, we have a weird scenario where they play Team USA tmrw BUT both are already in Tue's gold medal game. Likely will be an exercise in gamesmanship w/ backup pitchers etc. and trying to get a further read on tendencies.

Anyway that's why anyone reading this should stay up and watch this next game in 30 min.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    anyone know when they get to the skateboarding ?

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It was on overnight on NBC.

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    LOL USA basketball

LloydChristmas and heels1785 like this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

also i am so pulling for mike brown to win gold with nigeria

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Another extra innings walkoff, TOLD YOU

Rematch of the 2008 final tonight, and again Tue for all the gold.

It will be the last Olympic softball you'll watch for 7 years, but in addition to that...

--Cat Osterman, likely on the Mount Rushmore of all-time women softball players, came out of retirement purely in an attempt to avenge that loss to Japan 13 years ago.

--Monica Abbott, prob the best pitcher in the world over the last decade, was also on that team...and she's actually been playing in JAPAN! She's a 5x MVP there and several Team Japan members are her pro teammates.

--On the flip side, Japan returns the starter who won the gold for them in 2008...Yukiko Ueno. She's an 8x MVP dating back to 2002. Tom Brady eat your heart out.

--Also returning is the outfielder who hit the decisive home run off Osterman in the final, Eri Yamada. That's going to be an epic at-bat.

In addition to the rivalry of the vets, both teams have some great youth-- Team USA features one of the best two-way players ever in 24-yr-old Rachel Garcia, and Japan has a flamethrower named Goto Miu who is only 20. Both of them may see the field in the game tonight to preserve the aces for Tue.

...and would be fun as hell to see develop for the next Games if the IOC could pull its head out of its ass and realize it's one of the most gender-equal sports. For reference, in 2021 ratings for the women's college game outpaced the men's college game here in the US. That is no small feat. These athletes deserve the chance to compete.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The IOC are moving up my crap list.

Not content with their covid idiocy, commercial greed can be added in with them selling the UK TV rights to pay channel Discovery. The BBC is showing some but not everything. This was not the case for 2012 and 2016.

Pensivia likes this.
  23. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Josh Okogie too. He might not be able to shoot, but he’s the only player on the Timberwolves willing to play defense.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    NBC has Steve Kornacki as part of their Olympic coverage.[face_laugh]