main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    There was a Reddit comment speculated that the Big 12 told the refs to screw with Oklahoma for going to the SEC, and now I can see it.

Lowbacca_1977 and dp4m like this.
  2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm glad the PAC-12 is above such petty behavior; we just have terrible refs all the time

Jedimarine and PCCViking like this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The game was played in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, so that play will be known as the Whiff in the Griff.
    The Gators won the Eligi-Bowl.

:p

christophero30 and Rew like this.
  4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I was elated that, Michigan won for many reasons. The fan base has been just awful for the most part all year criticizing the run first mentality of Harbaugh. All I've heard this year is that you can't win against the big boys of the Big 10 by just running the ball. True the had a slip up against Sparty, but they dropped almost 300 yards on Ohio State and passed very sparingly.

So yeah, you can very much win games with great defense and a great running game.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You can win, you just have to be physically better than your opponent. What happens when you're not? You lose five in a row and get blown out several times. Attrition and relying on physical advantage is the lowest form of strategy. It's no strategy at all. You can win one out of six, but that's hardly something to hang your hat on.

This is the weakest Buckeyes team in a long time, they didn't have the usual physical advantage that usually makes that game plan a poor idea. This time, Michigan had the physical advantage.

Harbaugh is garbage. The players won the game in spite of the coaching staff holding them back. The coaching staff almost lost the game the same way they did against MSU, by repeatedly failing to be prepared for up tempo. Players like Hutchinson and Haskins took over and won the game in spite of the coaches.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    lincoln riley leaving OU for southern cal. bob stoops will coach the sooners in their bowl game. would not be surprised at all if he returns on a short-term contract to guide them in their first few years of sec play.

david cutcliffe sacked by duke, undoubtedly the best coach in program history.

christophero30 likes this.
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm not sure USC is a step up from Oklahoma. Unless he wants to live in LA.

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Oh man, the playoff committee has to be scared to death now.

The mess laid out there for them to pick through is gonna cause nothing but anger from all corners.

Today, the only safe pick is Georgia.

Does Alabama really deserve a spot if they lose to Georgia?

Cincy is standing there grinning like a maniac, desperate to crash the party, and while the excuses to omit them continue to fall, the biggest one, their schedule, still looms massive behind them.

Notre Dame...will not stand for being left out if Cincy gets to go. Watch them bail on the NCAA completely and form some rival university alliance if they get screwed.

Michigan? No worries. Iowa is gonna knock them down on Saturday. Classic let-down game coming.

OK State? Did they do enough to crack the egg?

The theory is that the contenders fall off as the weeks go by, and the 4 crystalize.

But this looks like weeks of pretenders building evidence to be considered "contenders". and the list grows and grows.

Will we be talking merits of Iowa and Baylor next week? Can Oregon squeak back in?

This is chaos.

Gonna be a lot of heat and a lot of hate on Selection Day.

9. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Georgia is a lock obviously

The cynic in me says Alabama is too unless they lose to Georgia by about 40, and even if they do they probably get a free pass by virtue of being ‘Bama.

I’m sure the committee would love to find an excuse to exclude Cincinnati but unless they choke it’s going to be really tough for them to do it.

That leaves Michigan, OSU and ND for the last spot. I’d favor Michigan right now just based on current rankings.

10. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Gators got a new coach: Billy Napier.

How will Tennessee react if Huepel leaves for OU?

heels1785 and christophero30 like this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I don't like Alabama but after dominating in recent years they probably deserve to get in with 2 losses over one loss teams like Oklahoma State and Notre dame. Michigan is probably the one loss team that deserves to get in next.

12. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Cincy will get in if they win since Houston is ranked. I'm just worried that a 2 loss Alabama will get in so hopefully Michigan and OK State win their Championship games, or the committee values a 1 loss Notre Dame team who only lost to Cincy.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i mean, we basically have a new coach every year as-is. we'll go hire the coach from north texas state or whatever, end up at the belk's bowl in 2022, and fire him in 2023.

Guidman likes this.
  14. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    My best guess today would be:

1 Georgia
    2 Alabama
    3 Notre Dame
    4 Cincinnati

I think Michigan will lose, and I suspect OK ST might lose, or look bad against Baylor.

I think they let Cincy in, but as the 4 so they must play Georgia in the semi-final. Once they get their doors blown off, the "evidence" to never select a group-of-five school again will be formulated.

Never mind the playoff has been filled with blowouts among Power 5 schools from the first season it was created, but oh well.

But never fear...only about 8 days until we get a tsunami of talking head content to "EXPAND THE PLAYOFF" because so many deserving schools missed out because it is only 4 teams.

I still champion the idea that only undefeated teams should have a chance to be called National Champs.

You have 2? They play a Championship Game.
    You have 1? Unanimously Declared at Season's End
    You have none? The title is vacant for that calendar year.
    Maybe you have 3? You give a bye week to the #1 school and play the other 2.
    The chances of 4 undefeated school are slim, but you could do a playoff like now.

Of course, you have to set rules to qualify. Otherwise everyone runs out to play Connecticut and Eastern Michigan as often as possible to pad the wins.

1. You have to schedule a minimum of 5 games against Power 5 schools that season. This basically means you are Power 5 or Notre Dame
    or
    2. You have to play at least 3 ranked teams (ranked at the END of the season). This is where Group-of-Five have a chance.
    or
    3. You have to beat at least 1 team ranked in the top ten (ranked at the END of the season). This is the underdog game moment.

So if you are Cincinnati, and you beat a Notre Dame who ends the year in the top ten, and you run your schedule out perfect, you deserve a shot at being National Champion.

Just a shot.

Sadly...there is too much sponsorship money to ever conceive of the notion of leaving a football season without a "National Champion".
    There have been several years where the crowned team was rather underwhelming, but hey, they need to eat those tostitos and drink that gatorade.

Also why the playoff committee is really looking at revenue projections instead of highlight reels.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Really not a chance the committee puts a non-conference champion ND above an undefeated Cincy team that beat them if Cincy wins out.

mnjedi and heels1785 like this.
  16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    They have ranked teams higher that lost to other playoff teams.

It is all about the matchups. They will spew some garbage about strength of schedule or "impressive skill sets".

As deserving as Cincy is...If they are in, they will be in as a 4.

And even more, they will be "disrespected" by the committee by having to look up at ND.

Truth is:

1. The committee want the chances of Cincy winning the semi-final to be as low as possible while still allowing them a spot in the 4.

2. There is also no way that they would rank ND and Cincy such that they could play each other in the first round, because see truth 1.

3. They know the money will be in an Bama/Georgia rematch title game, so schedule thus.

So you get Georgia v Cincy and Bama v ND in the semi's with the committee cheering for the SEC and the ratings to legitimize their farce.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    oklahoma state is a much bigger threat to cincinnati not getting in than notre dame.

the committee has made it clear that they value league championship games above all, and notre dame does not play one. if alabama, oklahoma state, and michigan were all to win, i think that's the only combination that could keep cincinnati out (other than a loss to houston). 1-alabama, 2-michigan, 3-georgia, 4-oklahoma state.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    @Jedimarine Careful not to get COVID toe with all these conspiracies

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's cool, Joe Rogan says it's fine. Relax...

20. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Brian Kelly to LSU, I'm astonished. I imagine Notre Dame will try and hire away Fickell from Cincinnati, since apparently he's a huge Catholic as well as being a great coach. If they do, hopefully Fickell doesn't leave before the AAC Championship Game and the playoffs.

Luke02 and christophero30 like this.
  21. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    As of a week ago, there were reports here that Fickell intended to stay in Cincy for family reasons and that money was not important to him. Cincinnati has one of the strongest Catholic school systems in the country (which was a factor in him moving here in the first place) and I'm sure he wants to keep his kids in that system.

But if he does consider ND...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :vader:
    This sucks. I'm a Notre Dame fan and think Kelly did a great job.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    what a **** hire for lsu, although better than jimbo fisher lol

notre dame should pursue matt campbell from iowa state, the coach lsu should have hired

24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The rumor is Notre Dame is going to go hard after the Cincinnati coach. They want Urban Meyer, but i doubt that happens.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    PCCViking and Luke02 like this.
  25. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    If Huepel goes to OU, Tennessee should go after Greg Schiano. [face_mischief]

heels1785 likes this.