main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2021 Film Awards Season (Golden Globes, Academy Awards, etc.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Feb 3, 2021.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Sound of Metal is the best movie I’ve seen in a loooong time. Riz Ahmed is possibly in my top five actors working today

BigAl6ft6 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, well, I've seen all the BP nominees, so I might as well give my completely irrelevant ranking. Starting at the top:

Nomadland
    Judas & the Black Messiah
    Sound of Metal
    Mank
    The Father
    Promising Young Woman
    Minari
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Pretty strong slate, actually. I don't hate any of them (and that's actually kind of rare for a Best Picture slate, especially since they opened it up to more than just five nominees) and Trial of the Chicago 7 is the only one I'd call significantly flawed. Minari's the one I saw the most recently and I'm still kind of wrestling with it and I haven't given it a straight up star rating yet, but I'm leaning toward a 3 1/2. The top 6 are all 4 star movies to me. Top five are . . . damn near perfect.

If I had my way, I'd throw Possessor and The Invisible Man on the list. And replace Chicago 7 with Pieces of a Woman.

And that is why they don't let me have my way.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I finally saw The Father (hellova final scene, holy heck!) which means I've got all Best Picture nominees viewed. Very sombre list this year actually. I'd go with a two tier system, no particular order of really fantastic and very good

Tier 1
    Sound of Metal
    Mank
    Promising Young Woman
    Trial of the Chicago 7

Tier 2
    Minari
    The Father
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Nomadland

Somewhat interesting, if snarky, Slate article about a case against Nomadland. Not many happy about it's perceived shilling for Amazon (although the fact that the movie shows seasonal workers discarded and living in vans as not a good look) and setting it in 2011 being ultimately irrelevant that the novel is set there, but that it'd be difficult to make 2019 Nomadland without getting into Trumpism. Which would be a terrible way for the movie to go, Fern ending looking at the camera and saying "I have to keep being a Nomadland because I have to stay one step ahead of the caravan!"

Anyway, I've noticed the last few years the frontrunner has actually mostly lost to the 2nd pace flick so I'd actually put a bet on Minari coming out to win, but probably will be Nomadland. Probably.

I loved Mank they did the 2021 Awards Honest Trailer and had great line "loved by everyone, from film historians to film preservationists!"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That guy called Birdman a "cinematic atrocity" in the first sentence, so I did not read any further. :p

As to the 2011-2012 setting, I guess that is tied to the real story of Empire. I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure if the Empire story is part of the book, but I guess the mine in Empire shut down in 2011 and then reopened in a much smaller capacity in 2016, so it makes sense to set the movie somewhere in those intervening years if you're going to connect your main character to Empire. And 2011 is still close to the Great Recession which is why I figured they did it when I first saw the movie.

Most importantly however it allows Fern to walk by a theater showing The Avengers, which is the one joke in the movie and a movie this punishingly sad does need a joke, so I'm fine with it. :p

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    All commercial slots have been sold for the AA Sunday Night:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/22/osc...ory-despite-awards-show-ratings-declines.html

I understand that cons cannot grasp the fact that it is not so much the actual number of people who are watching that drives advertisers but rather who is actually IE do they have expandable income however come the media cannot figure that one out? Talk to any ad executive it's better to have an audience of ten million people who have expandable income and not screaming for a boycott every thirty seconds over "politics" then twenty million people viewers that most do not expandable income and are poor consumers due to their political misgivings.

7. Jean-Luc Picard

Jean-Luc Picard Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 13, 2018
    Anyone watching?

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No

Ramza likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    no. having dinner with another fully vaccinated family. Dinner. Out. At someone's house. And we're all vaccinated. All of us, at the same table. Eating dinner. Vaccinated. Oscars can't compete with leaving the house for a social event.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    No. I am, however, listening to the Mads talk about "The Oscar", and then watching "The Academy of Robots Choice Awards Preview Special". Then I'm balancing my checkbook.
    Hey, the only movie I saw that was nominated for anything was "Onward".

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    working now so on the background anyway. vaguely socially distant wooden carpet, it's odd.

12. Jean-Luc Picard

Aug 13, 2018
    Wooden?

13. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    So far they've done a good job showcasing the Academy Museum, or at least the outdoor deck of it.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Liking the performance

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    probably getting the songs out of the way cuz they can't do it live. there's even an Oscars After Dark for an hour which could be vaguely interesting to watch as people probably get drunker and completely shed social distancing

whole lot of wooden floors than a red carpet interviews hahhah

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I barely even know what movies came out this year

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    DP

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    apparently all the attendees have gone full anti-masker so maybe that'll appeal to the Trumper demographic.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They are probably all vaccinated

oh they just explained it.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    literally the only 2 ppl I see wearing masks are at Sorkin's table, just looks odd. anyway, Promising Young Woman for screenplay, interesting. Hellova ending at least and a whole lot of monologues.

21. Jean-Luc Picard

Aug 13, 2018
    It feels and looks so weird this year.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I didn’t realize how long Borat 2’s actual title is

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah it was so long they didn't have time to actually say anything except the writers and the title.

anyway, definitely should watch Another Round at some point when it hits a streamer, at least if only cuz Mads is in it. Galen Erso/Hannibal Lecter/Le Chiffre/Kaecilius!

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Man that was a tough one. I can’t imagine what it’s like to lose a child

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Love me some Daniel Kaluuya so this is cool.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.