main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2021 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2021.

1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Just watch the Olympic marathon this summer and tell me they aren't racing. I'm just aiming to finish and have fun, my race days are behind me.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It may not be a race, but everyone who finishes a marathon is a winner. That's what my dad taught me, and he ran 26 of them.

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Doing a marathon js a long term goal of mine.

Had a good chest and triceps day, tomorrow is biceps and back (that one really needs work). My one mistake was overdoing the weight with one of the triceps machines (it was called the fly).

When I stopped by the Starbucks by my job, I just ordered strawberry acai, without anything with more calories (the cookies are my weakness).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Guidman , Juliet316 , Ava G. and 3 others like this.
  4. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Oh I know, just teasing ya. :)

Of course. I’m jealous. I didn’t mean anything bad about this, folks!

Dannik Jerriko and Sarge like this.
  5. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I didn't feel motivated when I got to the gym, mostly because of typical mood swing, but I had a decent back and biceps workout. I used 15 and 20 pound dumbbells for different weight exercises, and my arms are sore from both today and yesterday.

Tomorrow I have a private trainer session, and it's also leg day.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So I did 42k steps. At work today. My “work” is just keeping track of how many people come by and helping answer questions. It’s a very easy summer job. But usually I am just sitting in a chair the whole time. Or at least that’s what I did last year. I decided to pace around the area and got 42k steps. I am doing the job just as well as I could by sitting in a chair. Might as well walk around and get the steps in. I’ll ask my boss anyway just to double check, but this will be a great way to get in shape while doing my job to the best of my ability

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  7. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Anyone here into rowing or using a rowing machine? Ive gotten a lot of use out of my water-rower(google it). It wasnt cheap but 6+ years in and it still works like new. Rowing is a killer all-body exercise. 100% more fun that any treadmill or elliptical Ive tried.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  8. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Cool! Rowing would be strenuous.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad watched this Three Stooges movie where they meet Hercules. He starts as a scrawny nerd, but they're captured by slavers, and he rows so much that he turns muscular and handsome. xD

9. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Well, it does keep me in decent overall shape but the handsome part has eluded me. :D.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Jedi_Goulden_25 likes this.
  10. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    The red bandanna's a nice touch tho!

Jedi_Goulden_25 and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  11. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Ill take it! As for rowing, the biggest key is that it’s much less impactful on your lower extremities than running. I’m 50 and arthritis runs in the family. I have the early signs of it in my knees and while they aren’t too bad right now my doctor has "broken the bad news" to me about running. It may not be the best thing for me long term. I was never that great at it anyways but did like the challenge and it does burn a ton of calories.

Rowing also has the benefit of engaging your core and upper body which running really doesn’t. Covers more bases per se. anyone that hasn’t tried it should give it a go. There’s a learning curve for sure but once you get the proper stroke you can get a very good workout in 20-30 minutes. Little or no impact to your joints. Most muscles of the body get used too!

Dannik Jerriko and Darth_Diealot like this.
  12. Darth_Diealot

Darth_Diealot Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2020
    No biking for me for the next 5 weeks . Had a bike acident on June 3rd with my roadbike when I got hit by some stupid truck driver. Tore my extensor tendon in my right index finger, so no biking, no gym workouts, only running. On sunday I was supposed to take part at a great bike event in the Alps (Rosenheimer Radmarathon). All bike events were cancelled in 2020 because of Covid, so I was really looking forward to that event. But well, it could have been worse (and probably would have been without my helmet). I will be back in 2022!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  13. Jedi_Goulden_25

Jedi_Goulden_25 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 3, 2021
    @Darth_Diealot sorry to hear about your injury’s. Get well soon. I was in a mtb accident where i smashed straight into a tree after a step up and broke the front fork of the bike ( i dont know how but the wheel popped of and it is at an angle?)

i have been doing fencing every Tuesday for 2 hours but i do speed tests at home. I always walk to and back from school and i do cricket and archery clubs at my school. I have always wanted to do rowing as every year we watch the Oxford vs Cambridge rowing race and it seems fun. But i think i would be the person who sits at the back with the megaphone saying row!

14. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    IE, the person with the coolest name on the boat: the coxswain.

15. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    That is trickier to do than it looks.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Foil, epee, or sabre?

17. Jedi_Goulden_25

Jedi_Goulden_25 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 3, 2021
    Sabre is my preferred but i did do epee to start with.

@Sarge do you do fencing?

Sarge likes this.
  18. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Shorter gym day than others, but I’m fitting in extra cardio by speed walking.
    The canned protein drink with caramel-coloring was a mistake.

I worked from my lower body up based on my session with the trainer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Ava G., Dannik Jerriko and Sarge like this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Gotten up to averaging 15k steps per day now and my goal is to keep that way. Our weight room will be open for us to use at school come next month and our gym membership comes back in August. I shutter how poorly I will lift after not lifting weights outside of dumbbells and resistance stuff at home since March 2020.

20. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Similar gym workout as yesterday, though it felt more satisfying at the end. Challenged my arms and legs more with the weight machines .

Maybe it's the time of day that I weigh myself, but I've lost a pound a day over the last two days. I'll have to see if this pattern continues.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  21. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    More intense today, but the same routine.

Felt even better at the end of my workout.

QUIGONMIKE and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  22. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Glad to see this thread getting bumped. I did get out for that 5K a few days ago and it went OK. First one since early last year. 28:47 was my time so not exactly going to break any records but I can work my way down. Knees and hip felt OK too. No bad issues the next day either. So, Ill stick with the twice a week strength training with walking/running/cycling mixed in to keep the belt line stable. Just gets harder and harder for us old fogeys but ya gotta do it!

Rowing is what I do during bad weather(winter and fall) or when I cant get outside. I try to take a break from it during our short NE spring/summer months and do what I can outside. Take advantage! :)

23. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    @QUIGONMIKE Have you ever tried wearing knee supports? I bought a pair last year as I was staring to get a bit of discomfort in my knees when hill-walking and running. I can’t say they solved the issue, but they definitely reduced my discomfort.

24. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    I have not but I do have them on my radar. Its really just the left one which is starting to develop some arthritis. Doc says I can test it and keep running since amazingly running can possibly help or at least not make it any worse. So, I am going to look into that, yes! ;). Of course, if running causes me major pain I'll have to back off but hopefully not.

What knee conditions do you have if any? Or is it just general soreness for you?

25. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    With my knee, it’s just general wear and tear. The discomfort comes and goes. I have a few back issues due to a slight scoliosis and I have found that a deep-tissue massage helps a great deal.