main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2021 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2021.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Goals:

Physical: More stretching, walking and getting back into those exercise vids.

Mental health: Staying calm and happy. Laughing more. Being creative.

Diet: Back to more greens, less processed food. I’d like to be veggie several days a week again.

Supporting everyone here. This is a great thread! We are doing it.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Got depressed last night and broke my 3-days-a-week-no-alcohol rule. Didn't even enjoy my last glass of wine, but I didn't have the courage to pour it down the sink, so I forced it down.:(

On the upside, my run today felt really good. By the end I was really hitting my stride, running at a faster pace than when I started. I hope more of my runs are like that. Nice weather for it, too.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Ava G. and soitscometothis like this.
  4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    For some reason I shed some 25 pounds during the lockdown last year when I wasn't even trying (I guess not going out to stuff my face regularly made that easier) and my wife decided to actively get in shape. I followed her lead and started to watch what I ate and exercised more regularly. I want to get below 200 lbs. by the end of February and lose at least 30 more lbs. by June.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    My sister went with me to the gym today, but she turned around when she felt there were too many people there. She's very strict right now since she's a trip with a national sports team coming up in two weeks (she's not an athlete) and she can't risk anything.

On the other hand we decided to go skating tomorrow, we have heard that there is ice on a small pond, the lakes don't have enough thick ice yet, and it's outdoors so not like being in a gym.

Pensivia, Juliet316 , Sarge and 3 others like this.
  6. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    I ran 12k today and had my first significant hill run in months. The uphill was okay, if on the slow side, but the downhill was tough. My legs started hurting shortly after I started the descent. I wasn't expecting that to be the case.

7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It's actually the downhills that get to a lot of people when they run the Boston Marathon. Anytime you run a marathon or long distance, try walking down the stairs the next day. You should feel it.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    We went skating today, around 10 k. It's not a kind of excersize that makes me sweaty or short of breath, but it is a low intensene kind where you are moving continously for around one hour so you still feel that the muscles get to work.

9. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    My goal is to keep jogging 10 - 15 km per day (when possible). It is winter and the sidewalks are slippery so my jogging has been cut down to once a week instead of every day. The pandemic has meant the gyms are closed and no indoor sports like hockey (normally I play goalie a couple of times per week).

I started jogging at the end of July and as of mid Dec had shed almost 50lbs. If I can drop another 40lbs in 2021 that would be awesome, but I tend to always find what I lose, so even if I just keep off what I already lost, I will be happy.

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Was it bone, or muscular pain? When I have knee pain it usually is worse on the downhill, the impact is much harder. My sister has complained to me of the same thing.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Running down long steep hills sometimes gives me shin splints. I avoid those as much as possible.

I finally got my first 5 mile run finished this year, didn't walk any of it. I wish I could say it was nonstop, but about a hundred yards after I started a neighbor came out to talk for a couple minutes, and then when I was halfway up the big hill my shoelace came untied and I had to pause a few seconds to fix that. Still, I made it the whole way running. Maybe tomorrow I'll get it all nonstop.

12. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I actually got more intentional exercise last year than I had for many years before that. I think I had been using the walks at either end of my 45-minute commute as an excuse not to do pretty much anything else.

My husband is a marathon runner and likes to work with weights to make the running easier. I know I'll never be as fit as he is, but at least we have a lot of equipment at home, it's only a matter of me actually using it. So I try to get in two sessions of weights and two sessions on the stationary bike every week, and at least a 20-minute walk outside on the days I don't do anything else.

I'm obese, so the exercise I've been doing doesn't really show yet, but the main thing is that I can feel it, I'm growing some muscles under all the flab.

13. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    This time it was muscular. I think the old legs are just out of practice with the pounding involved with downhill running. I have had joint pain in the past but I think it was mostly the result of too much road work. I try to stick to the trails as much as possible these days.

Well done to everyone for getting stuck in with their goals.

14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    What a beautiful morning! Had a wonderful run. Also I checked out Lidl this week because they had a grand opening near me. Absolutely nothing special about this store, EXCEPT their California Veggie burgers. Just some frozen burgers, but I put one in the oven last night with my sweet potato fries and it was the best damn Veggie burger I've had since the restaurant I used to go to at the mall pre pandemic closed.

15. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    So far, I’ve dropped 4 lbs in 2021. If I can shift another 10, I’ll be back to me pre-lockdown weight. The snow has also started to melt, so I’m hoping the pavements will be ice-free tomorrow and I can get out for a run.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've lost weight too since this began mainly because all of my jeans keep threatening to fall off.

17. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    Today I ran 8k in hot weather. I really enjoy running in the heat, as long as I'm prepared, and fit enough to cope!

By the way, when I say heat, I mean South Island of NZ heat, which is rarely that hot. It was 28C/82F.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  18. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    So far so good for me--I've missed a day here or there but am still working out most days.

I am also realizing how pitifully weak my core and upper body is.:p Seriously, I can't even do one actual push-up. I don't even think I'm doing the modified knee-down ones right either. I was searching YT the other day for "how to work toward being able to do a push up" vids. Oh, the shame of doing "wall pushes"[face_laugh]

edit: on a more positive note, though, my energy levels are fantastic and my body just feels so much better as I go through my day. Really want to keep that going once the work **** hits the fan soon...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Juliet316 , Runjedirun, Sarge and 8 others like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You might find wall pushing can be useful if you do enough of them - still a form of exercise. Plus press-ups are as much about coordination as strength.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Began using Google Fit for the first time. Also getting a Fitbit as a birthday gift. Anyone have suggestions on which one? My wife has the Fitbit Versa 2 and loves it though that is $150 as it's not on sale. I do not like spending that much on myself so I am hoping to find a good one that is a bit cheaper.

21. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    well then I may be doomed:p As my husband often notes, I am one of the most uncoordinated people he's ever seen[face_laugh]

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My coordination is pretty awful!

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I had no idea how bad my coordination was @Jedi Ben until I started trying to do a plank with alternate arm/leg up in the air. I literally do not have the coordination to do it. I keep lifting the same arm and leg up! It gives my wife a great laugh though.

24. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes, exactly @Luke 02. I am doing these bodyweight classes on Peleton, and I have such a hard time with that exercise and anything that requires that type of coordination. There's another one where you are on your back and supposed to lift your right leg, while keeping your right arm extended straight up and moving your left arm back behind you in sync with your right leg lifting. I cannot get it right for the life of me!

Juliet316 , Runjedirun, ZV-83 and 4 others like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So far I have walked on average 24k steps a day not bad at all

Rew, Juliet316 , Arwen Sith and 8 others like this.