main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2021 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2021.

1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I always get very nostalgic for my life around 2014. I was totally vegan during 2013-2015, and it happened to coincide with when I had a satisfying social and academic life.

In the last couple of weeks I’ve decided to go back to that diet, with a possible break in it every week. I’m very easy to tempt with sweets and unhealthy drinks, but I’m going to try to keep it. Not buying dairy and related foods from now on. Eating meat will be very rare. I will have nondairy desserts as well.
    I’m hoping with this change I will at least partly return to how I felt back then. Today is day one.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I've been vegetarian for about a year and 4 months. I eased my way in, started with meatless Monday's and kept adding days until I got to none at all. I want to do vegan, my largest obstacles are cheese and chocolate. However, even Hershey's is slated to debut a vegan chocolate later this year and I read So Delicious sells cheese now, so I honestly believe it won't be that hard soon. I'm not really trying to switch to vegan yet, I want to get through this Corona Virus crisis before I challenge myself like that. But it is a long term goal. I did loose about three pounds becoming vegetarian that didn't come back, it sounds miniscule, but I couldn't budge them before. Also I didn't really need to lose weight, but I sorta did. Weight is a really fragile subject.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  3. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Got up, had my coffee, ran 10 miles and got to Target for some last minute Easter shopping by 8:15 to beat the crowds. Came home and took a nap. Just had left over rice and vegetables "Chinese food" for lunch.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Doesn't dark chocolate count as vegan?

Also, you cannot have too much of the 85% variety. It's so strong you can only have it in small amounts.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So today is now the 5th time this year I have walked the same length as a marathon.

Billy Budd and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  6. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Some dark chocolate is vegan, but the majority of it, especially here in America, is not.

7. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Once you get used to the lower sugar content its actually delicious. Love me the 85% or even 90% dark chocolate. Lots of health benefits!

Master_Lok and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I have never liked dark chocolate

9. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Nothing but cruciferous veggies for my meal today at work
    That’s my new normal

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Juliet316 and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    :eek:Is there anything US companies cannot wreck? Dark chocolate is easy to get right, how.... Something something profit I suppose.

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Things are slowly evolving. I know Hershey's chocolate isn't the best, but their amusement park is so awesome and way cheaper than Disney. Their entire business of chocolate is MILK chocolate. They have an entire ride about how chocolate is made and milk is the main ingredient. But like I said, even they are planning to roll out a vegan chocolate this year. Anyway, I gotta get some exercise before my kids get up for Easter Eggs filled with Hershey's Milk Chocolate.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One of the things an American ex-manager of mine loved about being in London was access to good chocolate. After that Hershy's just didn't cut it anymore for him.

Master_Lok and Rew like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I gotta eat less chocolate that’s all I know

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Dark chocolate is good for that.

Master_Lok and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Why because it tastes horrible

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If you're used to milk choc, it'll certainly feel far too sharp and bitter. The higher the cocoa percentage, the sharper it'll be. But past that? It can be great in small doses. Bit like single malt whiskey.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Master_Lok likes this.
  17. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I know it’s an unpopular view, but I much prefer US candy to the candy we get over here. Hershey’s are awesome, especially Mr. Goodbar. Every time I visit the US, I come back with a case full of sweets.

As far as vegan chocolate goes, I never found one with the right taste or texture. But, I read that Kit-Kat are developing a vegan version. For dark chocolate, I like Lindt. It’s certainly something that needs to be savoured and I don’t find myself eating as much as I would with milk chocolate.

Master_Lok, QUIGONMIKE and Runjedirun like this.
  18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I was raw vegan for a long time, but am Paleo now. At this point, I am listening to my body. Am working to slowly increase more greens, raw and juice back into our diet (So glad I can get Urban Remedy food from Whole Foods slightly cheaper than from UR direct), but the pandemic has been a bit tricky -as far as eating more junk- slowly but surely I am leaning toward a balance.

Need to be more physical too. The muscle strains and cartilage micro tears tell me as much. Be careful, take it slow and skip beating myself up for eating garbage etc.

Need to find a healthy way to deal with external triggers until we can move (Drawing is part of it, but that doesn’t mitigate the physical stress), and I am settled enough to do something else creatively.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  19. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    15 mile run yesterday and then drinking until past midnight because my cousin is in town and we got the families together. I am SO tired today.

Billy Budd, Juliet316, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  20. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    To the Vegan crowd - I get the desire to eat better and I do the same. I chow down a large portion of salads and veggies each day and do enjoy them. But, dont you start to run out of variety after a while? Do you ever crave the things you have forgone? Curious how this plays out long term for people. I guess this goes for any diet system that eliminates food groups like the no/low carb thing or Keto. At some point you have to get bored. Maybe not?

Back in 2013 when I lost my weight I did do the no carb thing for a short period. I didnt feel right. My workouts sucked too. I felt all wrong. And, I got to a point where if I didnt have a hunk of bread or a bowl of pasta I was going to murder someone. :D.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Any nutritionist will tell you, you need carbs to workout. Just like you need protein, but all protein doesn't come from animals. Nuts and beans are the most thought of sources, but if you want to know more consult Google. This day in age there are so many meat alternatives you don't miss it. I promise and growing up I ate like 5 hamburgers a week. I haven't tried to give up cheese or products made with milk and eggs, yet. I already opt for non dairy ice creams and yogurts because I like 'em. I never liked dairy milk. Growing up adults constantly told me I'd get osteoporosis, but here I am! The nut milks just taste better to me. Honestly, being vegetarian the options are endless, vegan will be a little more difficult. But it is a long term goal of mine.

22. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I’ve cut way down on meat and dairy over the past year or so. I used to suffer from crippling acid reflux (bent double for hours at a time). Doctors couldn’t find the cause (despite inserting cameras down my throat) and told me to stop drinking soda, coffee and eating spicy foods. This made no difference and the pain continued for years. But, since cutting meat, I haven’t had so much as a twinge of discomfort in almost two years. I’ve felt benefits with my training as well. Generally, I have better energy and I just feel healthier.

As far as protein goes, I was surprised to find how much protein is to be found in vegetables, oats and grains. I can’t say that I’m 100% vegetarian or vegan, but it is a long-term goal of mine.

I do enjoy meat and fish, especially lamb and salmon. But, I now regard meat as an occasional treat as opposed to a staple of my diet.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I ended up doing 20 miles yesterday. Didn’t have time to do a marathon like usual.

24. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Walk or run?

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Both. Although mostly a walk

Juliet316 and Emperor Ferus like this.