main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2022 Fanfiction Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Feb 5, 2022.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    2022 Fanfiction Winter Olympics:

This winter, athletes from around the world come together and compete in Beijing. In much the same way, fanfic writers from around the world will have the opportunity to come together on these boards and participate in a Fanfiction Winter Olympics.

[​IMG]

The Fanfiction Winter Olympics is inspired by the Fanfiction Summer Olympics that I hosted in the past,. The main difference is that the Fanfiction Winter Olympics will feature events created in honor of those competed in the Winter Olympics rather than the Summer Olympics.

The Fanfiction Winter Olympics is a competition where authors attempt to complete their choice of a triathlon (three writing events), a pentathlon (five writing events), or a decathlon (ten events) for a character, couple, family, or friendship they have selected before the competition closes.

Nota bene: if you pick a certain character, couple, family, or friendship, that character or those characters should be the main focus of your stories, but you are certainly welcome to include other characters as well. For example, if you are writing Han/Leia for the Star Wars Pentathlon, Luke is welcome to show up as well in your story or stories. When picking a couple, you may also write about a non-canon couple if you'd like, and when writing stories, you may write in an AU if you'd like as well.

For the triathlon, pentathlon, and decathlon there will be Star Wars and non-Star Wars categories in which authors may enter. This means the available events are as follows: Star Wars Triathlon, non-Star Wars Triathlon, Star Wars Pentathlon, non-Star Wars Pentathlon, Star Wars Decathlon, and non-Star Wars Decathlon.

To enter the competition, simply post in this thread with your intention to enroll in a particular event in the Star Wars or non-Star Wars category and list what character, couple, family or friendship you would like to use for each event. You may enter multiple events. For example, you could announce your intention to write about Luke Skywalker for the Star Wars Pentathlon and Lily/James in the Harry Potter fandom for the non-Star Wars Decathlon. You can also edit your post to add new events that you’d like to sign up for as the competition continues.

In your post, you can provide a link to your story thread or threads. You should keep all the events for a particular competition that you are entered in confined to one thread for easy reference and include the events in separate posts. For instance, if you are writing for the Luke Skywalker Pentathlon, all your writings for that event should be in one thread, but you should have another thread for your Lily/James submissions for the non-Star Wars Decathlon in another thread in the non-Star Wars category. Likewise, if you were to decide to write a Star Wars Triathlon for Han Solo, you would create yet another thread for that. You should also update your post with information on the different events that you have completed as you go along so that everyone can see and celebrate your progress.

Multiple people may choose to write about the same character, couple, family, or friendship for their category (for example, multiple people could write about Han/Leia for a Star Wars Pentathlon, or multiple people could write about Anakin Skywalker for a Star Wars Triathlon). The main point of having people choose the couple or character they wish to focus on is to provide an extra element of challenge to this competition.

At the end of the competition, anyone who has finished an event in a particular category will be considered a champion and a virtual gold medalist in that particular category. Anyone who completed multiple parts of an event but did not completely finish the event will receive a virtual silver medal in that category. Anyone completing one event in a particular category will receive a virtual bronze medal.

[​IMG]

Competition Dates:

The competition opens on March 1st, 2022.

The competition closes on April 1st, 2022.

The medal ceremony is scheduled for April 2nd, 2022.

Event Choices:

Star Wars and Non Star Wars Winter Triathlon: Complete any three Winter Olympic events of your choice.

Star Wars and Non Star Wars Winter Pentathlon: Complete any five Winter Olympic events of your choice.

Star Wars and Non Star Wars Winter Decathlon: Complete all ten Winter Olympic events.

Winter Olympic Events:

500 Word Speed Skate: A 500 word story featuring your character, couple, family, or friendship with any theme.

Short Program Song-Fic: A 240 word story featuring your character, couple, family, or friendship inspired by a song or song lyric.

Fantastical Free Skate: A 430 word story featuring your character, couple, family, or friendship that contains a fantastical element.

Kiss and Cry: A 100+ word hurt and comfort fic starring your character, couple, family, or friendship.

Snowboarding Adventure: A 500+ word action or adventure story featuring your character, couple, family, or friendship.

Hockey Hug: A 100+ word fluff story featuring your character, couple, family, or friendship.

Laughing Luge: A 100+ word humor story featuring your character, couple, family, or friendship.

AU Alpine Skiing: A 100+ word alternate universe story featuring your character, couple, family, or friendship.

Single Sentence Ski Jumping: A story starring your character, couple, family, or friendship told in a single sentence.

Scary Skeleton: A 100+ word story featuring your character, couple, family, or friendship in which something scary or spooky happens.

Competition Rules:

1. All stories should comply with the fan fiction rules of this site, but I'm sure all you wonderful people knew that already.
    2. Word counts for stories should be followed as exactly as possible in order to ensure that the completion remains challenging.

FAQ's:

Q: Does a story have to be "new" and written specifically for the Winter Olympics to be used for the Winter Olympics?

A: In a nutshell, yes, I would like all the stories posted for the Winter Olympics to be new, but don't be too intimidated. Remember that if you sign up for a particular triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon, you can still become a bronze or silver medalist if you finish a story or two from that triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon, so any progress you do make toward finishing your triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon will be celebrated and acknowledged!

Q: Can stories written for the Winter Olympics be combined with other challenges?

A:
    From my end, I'm fine with someone "doubling dipping" with a particular story by making it work for this event and other challenges. I would still like anything written for this challenge to be put in its specially made thread for easy finding, though. Also, since I don't want to step on any toes or violate the rules of any other challenge, I'd say to double-check with whoever is running the other challenge you plan on "double dipping" with just to make sure that they are fine with it. I'll put the responsibility of double-checking that with each individual competitor, however, and if a story that "double-dips" is posted for this Winter Olympics, I'll assume that they did get such approval from the person running the challenge.

Q: Do signups close on March 1st when the competition begins?

A:
    Since this is such a long competition, I will leave signups open after March 1st, and allow signups until the closing date, though, obviously, the nearer you signup to the closing date, the less time you have to work on your events. This also holds true for people who might have signed up already but want to add another event. For instance, if someone signed up to write a Luke Pentathlon but wants to write a Han Triathlon as well, that person can signup after March 1st for the Han Triathlon. I know it can be hard to predict in February what your March schedule will look like so I think having signups that go beyond March 1st will help with that.

Q: Can we start planning before the competition officially opens?

A:
    Absolutely. Everyone is welcome to plan and outline before the official start of the competition. Consider it training and warmups for the Olympics!

Q: Do titles count toward word counts?

A:
    I don't generally include titles in calculating a word count, but you may as long as you are consistent throughout the competition.

Q: Can we start writing the actual stories before the official opening of the competition?

A:
    You may begin writing your stories, but please wait to post them until the competition opens officially with a post in this thread on March 1st.

Q: Should we use a specific word count software for the Olympics?

A:
    You may use the word count software of your choice as long as you are consistent in which word count software you use throughout the competition.

Q: For events that include no upper limit (e.g. 500+ or 100+ word events) should we try to keep the story as close to 500 or 100 words as possible?

A:
    You can do that if you choose but you do not have to. As long as your story is over 100 or 500 words, it meets the requirements of the challenge and is absolutely acceptable for the Olympics. You are free to make these stories as long or short as you like as long as the stories meet the minimum word count.

Further Questions:

If you have any further questions about this Fanfiction Winter Olympics, please feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM, and I will do my best to address any questions you might have.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Parade of Athletes (a.k.a. Index of Competitors):
    Star Wars Triathlon:
    @JediMaster_Jen (Obi-Wan/Satine): She Said the Word
    @Anedon (Ulrika, Ilona, Kinga, Elena, Tobin, and others): Knights of the Outer Rim

Star Wars Pentathlon:

@Nehru_Amidala (Grand Admiral Thrawn/Jaina Solo): Nehru_Amidala's 2022 Fanfiction Olympic Journal
    @Kit' (Kit'verse OC's): The Shadow's Index
    @gizkaspice (Boba Fett and a cat): Book of Boba's Cat
    @Thumper09 ( Myn Donos): Survivor

Star Wars Decathlon:

@earlybird-obi-wan (Tarko Sanek-OC): Padawan techie Tarko Sanek

Non-Star Wars Triathlon:

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (Star Trek Ensemble Cast)

Non-Star Wars Pentathlon:

@devilinthedetails (Aang-Avatar the Last Airbender): Blowing in the Wind
    @devilinthedetails (Izumi-Avatar the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra): Fire in Her Veins

Non-Star Wars Decathlon:

@devilinthedetails (Lu Ten-Avatar the Last Airbender): Brave Soldier Boy

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  3. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Medal Ceremony:
    Gold Medalists in the Star Wars Triathlon:
    @JediMaster_Jen: She Said the Word
    @Anedon: Knights of the Outer Rim

Gold Medalists in the Star Wars Pentathlon:
    @Nehru_Amidala: Nehru_Amidala's 2022 Fanfiction Olympic Journal
    @Kit' : The Shadow's Index
    @gizkaspice: The Book of Boba's Cat
    @Thumper09 : Survivor

Gold Medalist in the Star Wars Decathlon:
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Padawan techie Tarko Sanek Winter Olympics Challenge

Gold Medalist in the Non-Star Wars Pentathlon:
    @devilinthedetails: Blowing in the Wind

Silver Medalist in the Non-Star Wars Pentathlon:
    @devilinthedetails: Fire in Her Veins

Silver Medalist in the Non-Star Wars Decathlon:
    @devilinthedetails: Brave Soldier Boy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    amidalachick likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] I would like to sign up for the Triathlon - NSW.
    Mine will be in the Trek fandom-- an ensemble cast featuring established and original characters.
    My events will be:

1. Hockey Hug

2. Laughing Luge

3. AU Alpine Skiing

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    This is great to tell more about my OC's
    Sign me up for the decathlon

6. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Yay, my first signups! How exciting![face_party]

@earlybird-obi-wan So happy to have you joining the Winter Olympic fun:D I've got you down for a Star Wars Decathlon with your OC's currently, but if you would prefer to be entered for the Non-Star Wars Decathlon category instead, just let me know, and I can change it for you with no problem!

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha So thrilled to have you aboard for our Winter Olympic journey, my friend[:D]I've got you all signed up for your Non-Star Wars Star Trek Triathlon with the ensemble cast you mentioned!

As for me, I too am in a Non-Star Wars mood (and obsessed with Avatar: The Last Airbender, but what else is new?:p) so I have signed myself up for the following, probably biting off more than I can chew as is my custom and habit:

1. A Lu Ten (Iroh's son) Decathlon.
    2. An Aang Pentathlon.
    3. An Izumi (Zuko's daughter) Pentathlon.

May the Force be with me.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @devilinthedetails ... =D= :cool: Too much fun!

8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Think I´ll do a SW decathlon as well. ;)

9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Aww, thank you for the kind words of support as always[:D]

@Anedon Excellent! I will put you down for a Star Wars Decathlon as well. If you want to focus on any particular characters, just let me know, and I'll add a note in the index:)

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Tarko Sanek (my OC from the Kessel run) will have more adventures as a padawan in my decathlon

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Wonderful! I will update the index with that information so everyone will be aware:)

12. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Probably on my usual cast: Ulrika, Ilona, Kinga, Elena, Tobin and so on...

13. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'd like to sign up for the Star Wars Triathlon, please, with the EU character Myn Donos. I'll have to see as things get closer whether to keep it as a Triathlon or add more events. Thank you!

14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Me, me, me!

Star Wars pentathlon! More Thrawn/Jaina goodness, I say!

Pairing- Grand Admiral Thrawn/Jaina Solo

Event- Star Wars Pentathlon

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  15. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Star Wars Pentathlon (yeah, I know I said no more challenges until the long fic is done, but I'm weak!)

Characters - Kit'verse OCs

16. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Can I sign up please?

Star Wars Pentathlon
    Characters:
    Boba Fett and a cat

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] already!

18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Marvelous to see more wonderful authors hopping onto the Winter Olympics train[face_dancing]

The competition index has been updated to reflect all our new signups!

19. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    When I see an opportunity, I seize it ;):D

20. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @devilinthedetails oh this is another wonderful idea! I love the names you've come up with for these events, they all sound so fun. :D

*insert gif of Barney Gumble saying "Just hook it to my veins!"* [face_mischief]:D

21. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I want to sincerely thank @devilinthedetails for coming up with these Olympic challenges because not only are they awesome and a great source of inspiration for fanfic writers who otherwise may not be inspired to write (like myself right now!) but now @amidalachick gets to have Mando+ cat and Boba + cat stories hooked up to her veins and I worry about her sanity (and mine as well) :p:D

22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @amidalachick and @gizkaspice, thanks for the kind words! I had a ton of fun inventing these Olympic challenges, and I am so happy you both think they sound fun and inspiring! I absolutely can't wait to see what gems everybody produces once the Fanfiction Winter Olympics is underway in a couple of weeks![face_dancing]

23. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Don't cry for me, I'm already dead. @};-

[face_mischief][face_laugh]

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll stop derailing the thread now.)

24. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Could I please change my SW Triathlon to a SW Pentathlon? Same character. Thanks!

25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Absolutely! Awesome to hear you are going for an SW Pentathlon. I'll update the index to reflect that:)

And, as a reminder to everyone, if at any point in the competition you want to change what event you are participating, just let me know and I can edit the index with no problem.

Also, a heads-up that the Olympics will be starting soon on March 1st. I can't wait to see what everyone will come up with for this Winter Olympics[face_dancing]