main
side
curve

JCC 2022 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2022.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Welcome to the 2022 Fitness Goals thread!

Last year was a dud on a personal level, I’m hoping this one will be better.

I ran a 5K this morning, first in-person race since early 2020, and despite having stopped running for a good bit of last year, I did not lose any time. That made me happy despite no PR. I’m also in a new age group since I turned 50 a few weeks ago, so I placed higher although I did not win anything.

Goals this year:

—Run more. Possibly some sprint triathlons and 13.1s this year but definitely just run more.

—Move more towards a whole foods diet. I’m glad I live at a time when vegan junk food exists but I need to eat less of it. I’ve downloaded the Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen app and it’s helpful. (Putting flaxseed in steel cut oatmeal is not the best idea though, ask my intestines, they’ll tell you.)

As with previous iterations of this thread, discussion is to be centered around support and encouragement, not judgment or debate.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett PT Interview-Teh Mole Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    20k goal each day. On average. So some days I’ll walk a marathon some I’ll walk a mile so long as by years end it averages to 20k I’ll be happy.

3. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    This year, I want to improve my overall health whilst enjoying life as things (hopefully) open up more. I want to balance a healthy (mostly plant-based) diet with a regular exercise program and more time outdoors exercising with friends/family. My work has made training difficult in the past couple of years, but a new opportunity with predictable shifts may change that.

My goals are quite general:
    • Swim more
    • Stick to a structured weights program
    • More hillwalking
    • Try a marathon or some kind of event

4. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2018
    I've already started running 5 miles on a treadmill. Did one yesterday at 41:10. May do so every other day. My goal is to increase the time also that I can run. Like yesterday I didn't slow down till I got to 15 minutes. I need to keep working at that

5. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, boo. I am 43 and 1/2 years old and my body is completely broken. I mean that's how I feel. My body has never been right though, so there's that. My right leg has been injured in some way shape or form since high school. It usually bounces into shape for a few years between each injury. The crazy thing with my body is how it refuses to heal on it's own. I can't really go into why I say this, but let's just say most women have babies and get better without extra medical intervention. I did not.

So most recently I pulled a muscle in my hamstring. Doctor's like no big deal, despite knowing my history and sends me over to physical therapy. Tells me to see how it feels in a few weeks or a month. It was just steady pain, couldn't sleep at night. Was literally staying off it as much as possible and only getting less than 5,000 steps most days to try and just make the pain go away. Finally, after two more visits to this doctor I get a shot that immediately begins to relieve some of this ridiculous pain. No it doesn't miraculously make it better, that's not even what I want. I just wanted the healing process to start and for some reason my body doesn't do that on it's own. In 2012 I limped around on a bad ankle for 3+ months got a cortisone shot and boom it was better in two weeks. But no doctor would intervene with a simple shot of cortisone for 12 weeks. I just wish I could heal up like a normal person. I don't mind some discomfort for a few days or weeks and I hate having medical intervention.

Anyway, I am on the mend now, but it's very slow going because of my age or just my body type. Is weak and slow to heal a body type? Today for the first time I walked a full mile without stopping and no real pain, but my leg was tired at the end. So my plan is to do that every day this week. I have been getting 10,000 steps or very close to it for the past week and one half. I've just been taking lots and lots of short walks. I got the shot back in the beginning of Dec, it didn't work immediately. There was some immediate relief, but there's still good and bad days. I think I need to hang up running, but my guess is eventually my leg will feel good again and I won't be able to resist.

I've been swimming. I hate it. It's SO boring. I also am trying to get back into my yoga routine. Even though yoga doesn't seem to help me from getting injured, it feels good to stretch. 2 of the last 3 days I did yoga.

So I don't have any goals this year and that's why I say boo. Because I really want to have some. I'm just gonna be active like I always am.

6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia/Book Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    -Keep up my mileage and don't get burn out. I don't think I'll get as many miles as this year but I should be able to get 2200-2400 miles ran.
    -Run a new race in a new place. I'm semi checking this one next week. I'm doing the Walt Disney World Marathon next weekend, I've done races there before but not the full. I'll look for trip in the fall to a new race.
    -Get a new PR for any distance.
    -Bike more
    -This might be a longer shot just because I don't know of that many close by to me, but try a duathlon.

7. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    One week into the new year. I've cut back on the prescription Ibuprofen my doctor proscribed. I wish I could say it was all perfect. It is decent at least. I feel some pain in my leg, but it's very manageable. Instead of taking one every 12 hours I'm now just taking one every 24 hours. Really hoping to ditch them altogether soon. I've been doing less swimming, but more swimming with my full body instead of just using my arms and dragging my legs behind me. Now I swim 50m just arms 50m full body, this morning I made it to 1250m total (but to be fair I was starving because I had a salad for dinner last night). I also walked a full 1.25 miles this AM and yesterday my one mile walk was just barely over 20 minutes, would have been 20 minutes if I didn't have to slow down for a few icy patches.

I saw that they had spin class at the gym this morning. I so want to get to a spin class, but I'm nowhere near ready. I wish I could set a goal for myself, but if I did and didn't make it I'd feel awful. My real goal in life, to wake up as jubilant as excited to face each day as my 8 year old son.

8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 6

Dec 19, 2015
    Got my tenth ride badge on the Peliton. Joined the 2022 challenge, am taking the six week cycling basics course to help stay motivated. Haven't been able to take the dog for long walks all week because of the temperatures, but it's finally climbing back into the 30s today.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm trying to eat healthier. Just have a sandwich and a piece of fruit for lunch on work days.

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    If I can just get back to my weight before Thanksgiving, I'll call 2022 a win.

Juliet316 and soitscometothis like this.
  11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Force Ghost star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Absolutely minimal goals for me this year: get back to some form of exercise, don't have a bowel resection.

I've had an increase in problems related to my Crohn's disease since May, and beginning of November saw things turn to ****. Gut pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting... I've barely been able to walk to the shops, let alone exercise. Always underweight, these two months have seen me lose six or seven kilos, all of it muscle - the flesh I have has been hanging off me like I'm in my seventies. It's been incredibly depressing. I've spent a week in hospital being pumped full of drugs, switched to a low-fibre diet, and am now moving to a different series of drugs to see if they will stabilise things. I am feeling much better today, but have yet to try eating anything more substantial than soup and bread. Quite scared of starting exercise, but at the same time I'm really hating my body and feel guilty not running and lifting light weights. Walking is probably what I'll start with, as my legs are a bit shaky, but after that I don't know. I need to put my weight up, too.

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2010
    In 2012 my weight was up to 170 pounds (I'm 5'6", so about 145-160 pounds is a healthy weight for me). I took up running that spring to drop some weight. Two 5Ks later, I was down to about 150. But then I slightly injured my knee and had to stop, and then a couple of weeks later I went on a three-week vacation to Orlando (Star Wars Celebration VI and all the parks) and that basically killed my motivation. I eventually ballooned back up to 180, then made a small change to my diet (switching from chocolate milk to water as my primary beverage at home) that brought me back down to around 160. Then I started college, and walking around campus all the time kept my weight around 160-170 for a while until COVID hit, at which point quarantine and everything being online for a year and a half pushed my weight up to 199 pounds according to my most recent doctor visit in December, which makes me obese.

Well, I'd like to be back down to 160. Also, I graduated in December and now work a desk job where I am very sedentary, so I need to consciously incorporate physical activity into my routine or it's only going to get worse. So I'm planning to take up running again as soon as spring arrives. Not immediately, because 1) I need time to adjust to my new work schedule, especially because I am moving to a new team next week and that may come with new or lessened requirements, and 2) I know I won't be able to sustain the motivation at the start of my fitness program if I'm freezing my butt off; it'll be more likely to stick if I wait until it's warmer and then build a routine before next winter hits.

So I need to get new running shoes and map out a good route for starting fresh. I live in a large apartment complex now that is secluded among woods, so I'll probably just find a good loop in the complex.

13. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    @soitscometothis I’ve had some problems with my digestive system over the years, so I understand a little about the negative impact it can have and the pain involved. I hope your new diet and medication have you feeling better soon and allow you to return to exercise at a comfortable pace.

14. FatBurt

FatBurt Chosen One star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I made plans for last year and then did sweet FA and I feel stupid

I weighed myself on NY Eve and I'm 10st over my "ideal" weight

I went for a bike ride on NY day as a result and until tonight, hadn't had a drink as I know that's my major calorific downfall

My new inner tube arrived today (bike ride last week and got a flat as the inner tube had perished :( ) so I'll be changing that tomorrow and weather permitting will be out again.

I absolutely need to get in shape for July this year as we've booked a family holiday to Mexico. Likely to be the last "family" holiday as our eldest is 18 and will be off on her own thing. And to cap it all I've already pre-booked diving at Cozumel and snorkelling with Whale sharks. If I don't get fitter and lose some weight, the flight will be awful and I'll hate diving and won't be able to keep up with the whale shark so I have significant incentive to get on with it this year coupled with an absolute need to lose some timber.

I have dusted off the kettle bells and cleared the front room.

I will do it this year.

I have to.

15. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    @FatBurt Good luck with the training and weight loss. Diving at Cozumel and snorkelling with the whale sharks are a pretty good incentive to work towards. I’ve never dived in that part of the world, but it looks awesome and I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval TV Screaming Service / FFS! star 9 Staff Member Manager

Aug 19, 2003
    Pandemic came right after a move to the suburbs so I ended up with my first case of Dad-Bod. 15 over healthy weight is not a lot to many people who truly struggle with their body mass but I've spent my entire life built like a moderately muscular version of Shaggy from Scooby Doo, so it effected a lot. I've already lost 10 of it due to Covid but that's not actual health. The trick is going to be to maintain my normal build through getting back to regular exercise. While overcoming residual effects from the plague.

I've been a boxer nearly my whole life and losing access to the boxing gym has been disastrous but I keep a speed bag and a heavy bag in the garage that I'm planning on getting back to next week.

Juliet316 , Guidman , Sarge and 5 others like this.
  17. Emperor Ferus

Emperor Ferus Chosen One star 7

Jul 29, 2016
    Was at 160 two weeks ago- far lighter than expected.

This is mostly due to my mood and low motivation since the start of the new year and moving back to school, but I’ve become very lazy and prone to binge eating and soda drinking.

Not a good start for me

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett PT Interview-Teh Mole Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    So I signed up for a half marathon. I don’t know if I’ll run it or walk it. I’ll try to run as much as I can and speed walk the rest

19. Emperor Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Sounds like a good fitness milestone.

good luck!

20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia/Book Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Did the Disney World Marathon this morning. Ran 3:16:00, had a blast the whole time. I’m good with not running a full marathon for a very long time now, especially ones that involve a 1:30AM wake up.

21. Emperor Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Was that the same marathon
    with the Ewok picture from a couple years ago? (time flies!)

22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    2 weeks into the new year. Swam 2100m this morning. All full body swimming including some backstroke and breaststroke. Hopefully going to brave the butterfly soon. I also made it 20 minutes successfully on the elliptical this week with 0 resistance. Crossing all my fingers and toes for a March 1st return to running program. And I have also kept up with my yoga routine.

Also for anyone interested, especially anyone just struggling to get started. If you need a quick free workout you can do at home they are all over YouTube. I do one of these on alternating days to keep up with arms and abs:

10 MIN BEGINNER AB WORKOUT (Sixpack Abs, No Equipment) - YouTube

Total Arm Workout - YouTube

Right now I'm just doing the leg exercises assigned by my PT, but I'm hoping to find a good 10 minute beginner leg video I can keep up with in the next week or two. It's way easier for me to have an instructor to follow and a narrative to listen to than to do the exercises on my own. There's also lots and lots of walk at home stuff on YouTube in case it's cold in your area and they aren't as bad as they sound. Or even if they are, it's better than doing nothing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  23. FatBurt

FatBurt Chosen One star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    A reasonable start

Alcohol consumption reduced by 50%. Target is to reduce further but want to do it by changing habits rather than just cutting out as denial is the quickest way to fail (I've discovered from my own experience)

New pair of walking boots obtained and the rear wheel of the bike is now fixed

I've set up a small weights station at my work desk and during calls I now stand and do kettlebell exercises and arm curls etc... during the portions I need to listen

I've also started a full house clear out as housework is also a good source of exercise (and we really need to move this year) so powering through luggin heavy bags around and going up and down stairs a lot is providing a simple level f exercise that wasn't there previously

Need to maintain focus.

24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm still dealing with the issues inherent to starting a new job and being in a new apartment, so haven't been able to do much yet.

Things I have done:
    • Surveyed the apartment complex for potential running routes
    • Discovered that the apartment has a fitness center for residents with a handful of treadmills, ellipticals, and exercise bikes, so I don't necessarily have to wait until warm weather arrives
    • I live on the second floor and there is no elevator, so I have to climb a flight of stairs every time I go inside
    • I am also taking the stairs to my office at work (second floor as well) instead of the elevator
    Things I need to do but won't be able to until at least next weekend:
    • Buy a new pair of running shoes
    • Buy workout clothes
    • Find a good running plan designed for couch potatoes (last time around 10 years ago, I used Couch to 5K, and I might do that again)

Runjedirun, Sarge, Guidman and 2 others like this.
  25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Woo Hoo! I did 22 minutes on the elliptical today and I put it up to resistance 3 for a few intervals and I broke a sweat! It felt so great to have wetness on my forehead again. Tomorrow is a 100% swim day so I don't go too crazy, that's my hope to maintain at least two swim days a week. Days where I might not get 10,000 steps and I do not beat myself up or even feel bad. It's a struggle for me. I've done about 6 swim days in the last two weeks and it's fine, I'm getting less hung up on the # of steps I have done in a day. But I have mental work to do on that end for sure.

Unfortunately, I had a horrible Physical Therapy session on Thursday. I've managed to bounce back from the negativity, I felt like I was treated with, really well. I have three more PT visits on my calendar and I plan to go to them all. Next time I luckily have a different PT. I'll try to sum up what happened. I had a rough day Thursday, meaning my leg was hurting more than normal. I reported this to the PT, she says well it's a good thing you have a doctor appointment next week. And I say I'm frustrated I want to stop having rough or bad days. She tells me to cancel my appointment for next week. I am shocked and disappointed. She goes on to say the only way I am going to get better is if I get mental help. She's tried this before and I tell her politely as possible that I would never deny I need therapy, but that's not going to help a sports injury. She doesn't want to help me at all, but asks me what I think I/we should do. I tell her how the massage she gave me last week was great, worked well and I think we should add more strength to my at home exercises. She quickly whips out some strength exercises. Shows me how to do them and tells me the session is over. We still had 15 minutes and you know I don't get any of my $ back. So it literally took me a good 48 hours to put that experience behind me. And I was really worried I chose what's next wrong. I am not a PT or a doctor and I do not appreciate being asked what I think I need to work on. I really think the PT is paid to guide me to getting better. But so far the strength exercises are going really well. Huh.