main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2022 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I am fairly certain I tore my hamstring again. Told my doctor in November. He insisted it was minor and sent me to PT. Went back to my doctor for the 4th time this week. Finally got taken seriously. Got an MRI April 13 and go back to my Dr April 18. Because limping around on a busted leg and being in pain 24/7 is not life threatening. I've been given no advice. Physical therapy told me "stop treating it like glass". So I take walks, do some strength training mostly abs and arms and swim a lot. I'll let the thread know what happens but I am mostly expecting another surgery probably in August or September because I have travel plans in May and July.

Emperor Ferus and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  2. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    My 2022 started out great and has turned to crap since mid February. I started with lots of energy, very disciplined in my diet and my workout regimen. Then something happened with a certain female I had interest in, and my energy went downhill, and then my knees gave out.

For background, I am overweight, I'll be 47 in June, I have no ACL in my left knee and have had two orthoscopic surgeries on it to fix my meniscus, and I have osteoarthritis on either both knees or that left one.

Both knees now feel funny, like theres something off, and they hurt and sometimes theyre weak. I leg massage last week really helped a lot, and yesterday and today I went to the gym and did some training (carefully) and very little cardio. What frustrates me was that I was doing a lot of cardio and 3 sets of 20 squats every single day. I guess that mustve worked against me, but not being able to do the walking I was doing for fear that my knees will get even more messed up is really frustrating.

The past 2 weeks Ive been a bit lazy and not done much. I have to get out of that funk. I am not giving up. I have a very important wedding to attend in July, and knees aside, I want to look as best I can for that wedding.

Monday Im seeing my doctor to talk about maybe seeing an orthopedic surgeon, maybe getting an MRI on my knees, and also get some info on some procedures to help me lose weight. I think Im pretty good at mainting weight, not losing it. I have become a healthy eater, I just need more discipline on the weekends to avoid making exceptions to my strict diet during the week, and I have a good habit of working out, so procedure like bariatric surgery, that saline solution globe they put into your stomach, or stomach staples, are in my sights. I want to inform myself of the risks, and take advice from my doctors to see if any of those are good for me, as a way to get a little push to help me lose weight. Im also seeing now a nutritionist.

I think I have all the tools I need to achieve what I want. Now I need some patience and discipline.

Emperor Ferus and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  3. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Well you're just a little bundle of bad luck, aren't ya.

Good luck with those travel plans. Don't crash...

4. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    For the past few years, I’ve been bothered by pain in my lower right back & side. Massage provides some pain relief, but the problem inevitably returns. Recently, it had gotten so bad that I couldn’t run because every time my right foot landed, the pain shot up my side.

Last week, I went for the usual massage and I was seen by a new practitioner. She’s a physiotherapist and immediately got to the root of my problem. She stuck me with some acupuncture needles and gave me a program of exercises to address the imbalance that is the cause of my pain and discomfort.

After only a few days, I can feel a significant improvement. It’s a relief because the pain was starting to effect me at work as well. Hopefully, with consistent effort, I’ll completely rectify the imbalance and get out running again for the summer.

I hope everyone else has some similar good luck with overcoming their injuries and pursuing their goals.

5. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    My goals are quite lofty which I fully expect to achieve.

1. Compete in no less that 4 more BJJ Championship level national tournaments.
    2. Run 2 more marathons (already ran 1)
    3. Complete 3 Iron Man competitions
    4. Run over 3000 miles total this year (well on my way already)

not really fitness related but…
    5. Walk on the NY Fashion Week runway again (did so the past two years)

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It's really hard to find motivation to start exercising at all when it's late March and snowing outside. [face_plain]

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  7. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    It snowed here today too! Last week it was 74 degrees. Very typical March.

8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    We had 75 degrees last weekend, sub-freezing and snowing this weekend, and... 75 degrees in the forecast for Wednesday. Mother Nature is off her bipolar meds again.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I did a five-mile race yesterday. Was happy to make my usual time (turtle through peanut butter time but it’s mine) with negative splits in miles 2 and 3, given that I have not done much training. The arthritis in my right hip which was diagnosed five years ago has gotten worse, so a half marathon is out for right now.

Emperor Ferus, Juliet316, Rew and 6 others like this.
  10. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Unfortunately it sounds like getting old is most of our problems. I swam 3,850 meters this morning. Which is over 2 miles. I never swam that far before in one swim. If course in pool swimming you don't just swim. I took lots of 10 - 20 second breaks between laps and I had Gatorade on the side of the pool to sip on, to keep me going that long.

Juliet316, Rew, Guidman and 4 others like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Nice! How long did that take?

Many many years ago when I was in good shape, I swam laps in the pool for 2 hours non-stop. I didn't even try to count laps, it was just about the time.

Emperor Ferus and Runjedirun like this.
  12. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    It took 1 hour 20 minutes and 18 seconds. I was swimming for 1 hour 10 minutes and 9 seconds, the other part was resting. I didn't count the laps. My watch did.

13. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    The week before this last one was spring break. I just got a bicycle before then, and so at home I rode it every day (can’t here until I fix the lock), and I got much better even with just a week of practice. I also tried a couple of longer runs during that period, but not as much stamina as before for long stretches.

Ive also been going back to the gym slightly more, including last night. Im not able to lift with as much weight on the bar yet, but I can do curls and lifts with 20 pound dumbbells for most exercises.

Below average strength for my age and size, but I’ve got to keep at it regularly.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    Juliet316, Guidman , Sarge and 3 others like this.
  14. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    That’s the key to improvement. Consistent effort always pays dividends.

Juliet316, Guidman , Sarge and 2 others like this.
  15. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Finished a workout very much like Friday’s- last time I felt like I couldn’t handle any weight on the bar, but this time I added 10 pounds per side- still very below average for my age and size.

Also a 10 minute speed workout on the treadmill- I burnt 99 calories.
    You’re right about consistency @Dannik Jerriko - I’ll have to make sure I set aside enough time each day

16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    A more moderate work out the night before last, including a run outside, and then just a long walk last night-
    Consisted of dumbbells and the Stepper instead of the treadmill-
    I couldn’t do as good with the weight, because I’ve had more of the arm tremor that’s bothered me in the past- also find myself getting more anxious and agitated this week, so that’s hindered my drive to get working out and off my seat.

I have started improving my diet though, after lapsing- I’ll have to see what I get done tonight befor going to the gym- probably not

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Juliet316, Dannik Jerriko and Thena like this.
  17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I had hoped to be able to start running this weekend. Instead, it snowed today. [face_plain]

At this point, I can probably kiss goodbye my plans of running a 5K race on Memorial Day. Not enough time between now and then to complete a "zero-to-5K" training plan -- it's a 9-week plan, although I could theoretically run a race after week 8.

18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't put yourself down. The average person here in America is sitting on their couch watching TV. Don't push yourself and get injured, just be you, get exercise and enjoy it. If you enjoy it you're more likely to keep it up.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If your system doesn't respond well on weights, bands can be a good alternative. They will also, if you fail to give them due respect, kick your arse.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Thena, Juliet316 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  20. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Got my MRI. I see my Dr on Monday. I read the report sent to my email, there is a small tear and tendonitis. And more but that's the only part I understand. My husband read it and said, "there's a lot going on with that leg".

Good news is we went to Busch Gardens last week 2 days in a row over 20,000 steps each day and I only felt minor reminders that it's hurt. As long as I don't jump, run or take-off in any way it seems fine. Bad news I have two trips coming up and $0 left for physical therapy. I know my doctor is not going to want to hear that, but I am good with my $ and the physical therapy has done nothing but make it hurt worse. I haven't been in weeks and it feels better. Maybe this is because both physical therapists I went to insisted the injury was minor and pushed me to do too much. I still can't understand why we didn't get the MRI before any physical therapy. Money/Insurance, probably.

20 minutes with 0 resistance on the elliptical this AM and a 30 minute treadmill walk. Still swimming too, just took a day off.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    My doctor really just wants me to continue physical therapy. Unfortunately, for $50 a visit and seeing improvement without going I turned him down. I'm torn because I think it looks bad that I don't go. But also...$50 a visit! Plus I would beg for not so hard exercises because they'd blow it up and cause pain for days after a visit, but they didn't listen.

I honestly don't think there is much I can do, I'm old, I have always been injury prone and tendonitis just doesn't go away, that I know of.

Oddly enough I have stuck with exercise. I am back down to only 2 pounds over what I was before this injury (at one point I was 5 pounds heavier). I try to eat right because I know you can do all the exercise in the world but managing your weight is 80% about what you put in your mouth.

I am swimming 2 days a week, walking every day and doing the elliptical 4-5 times per week. Also been really consistent at strength training. I did 14 real push ups this morning! I kinda want to get back into yoga, but it doesn't seem to help me heal or not get injured and it doesn't burn calories so it's hard to get motivated. But it does feel great to stretch.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Power yoga burns a lot of calories—I have found it more intense than running. That might be an option for you.

Also what I may be doing in a month or so when it starts getting too hot to be outside for long.

Juliet316, Sarge and Thena like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I’ll be honest I have fallen off compared to last year. On average I have only walked 17k a day. Where’s last year I walked 30k a day. Will have to step it up a bit if I am to make my 20k step goal on average a day. Still doing way better than the average American though.

Juliet316, Sarge and Guidman like this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I walked 2.17 miles today with my dog. Trying to get some good walking in with her before I'm gone for two weeks.

Of course I'll be walking a lot on tours daily in Europe so I'll get my own steps in. Trying to do that this year...

Neighbor will be walking the dog too.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I think the winter weather has finally broken here. [face_dancing] So I have scheduled running times into my calendar. I'll be following this Couch-to-5K plan and will try to remember to post updates here.

Also! I found a cool thing called Habitica. Basically it's an app (web and mobile) to gamify your life, fantasy role-playing game style. I have a variety of regular chores and such set up in there, and it rewards me when I check them off and punishes me if I don't. I've added in tasks for running three times a week, so hopefully that will motivate me to stick with it.

Juliet316, Sarge and Guidman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.