main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2022 Winter Olympiad thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Oct 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    solojones, Juliet316 and Runjedirun like this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Can't wait for the Nathan Chen/Yuzuru Hanyu/Vincent Zhou showdown on the ice.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm so glad that Biden only order a diplomatic US boycott of the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing and not the athletes. Hopefully, the Omicron variant doesn't postpone the Winter Games either as watching the previous Winter Olympics was so much fun.

Pensivia likes this.
  5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Biden learned from the 1980 Boycott that it only hurts the athletes as it did nothing to put any pressure on Soviet Union to get out of Afghanistan.

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Australia is also doing the Diplomatic Boycott, which China has replying with "We don't care."
    It seems rather toothless of a protest.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Lot of countries will join the Diplomatic Boycott. It does put a little egg on China's face but nothing that will make a difference as again anything more significant would hurt the athletes. I think if anything China is more worried about hosting the games safely and not causing an endemic in the process.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Jedi_Goulden_25 likes this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    it is looking very unlikely that the nhl will allow their players to compete at the olympics.

going to have a huge impact on one of the tentpole sports of the winter games, assuming there are a "winter games."

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The omicron Olympics.

Isn’t the big holiday season in China the Lunar New Year? This year Chinese New Year is February 1st. These Olympics will be happening during the two week surge in cases ignited by the holiday.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well last I heard, they're not allowing fans at the Olympics anyway, so...

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Good. That will stop COVID blowing around. Even better if they’re not allowing people at the Olympics.

Jedi_Goulden_25 and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Honestly since hockey will barely be interesting I doubt I’ll even watch it

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    The summer games were eerie with with the indoor events...Volleyball, gymnastics, etc. Far to much piped in music and way to many closeups to hide the empty arenas. I don't even remember a basketball game from Tokyo.

Is figure skating gonna be like that? hockey? curling? speed skating?

Don't think I realized how much the crowd mattered to these spectacles before.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It's hard to say whether or not people will be allowed into the events. I have not come across any reports on the omicron effects on China, not whether or not China is allowing people to travel to China to attend the Olympics.

For what I can tell, China is very conscience of their appearance on the world stage and I would suspect they would want to have the events heavily attended to show how well the country is doing.

I'm hoping China's opening ceremony is as epic or better than their 2008 Summer Games opening ceremony.

Looking forward to seeing some curling competition.

18. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I just finished the 4 part documentary on Peacock called Medling. It's about the Pairs skating controversy in Salt Lake '02 Olympics. I liked it and I really liked that it had a mostly happy ending. The world needs more happy endings. It also got me more interested in watching some ice skating.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    My fandom for ice skating goes all the way back to the prime days of Peggy Fleming and Dorthy Hamill, as my mom and older sister were huge fans of the sport. When the Ice Capades tour rolled into my town my mom always got tickets for the show.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I like speed skating but I can't stand ice dancing or figure skating. I think my tastes lie more with the luge and downhill skiing/ski jumping events.

Jedi_Goulden_25 and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Alpine and Nordic skiing are the most important things for me, I don't care about the freestyle or snowboard events. I like figure skating, and I will follow the speed skating since we have a good Swedish skater for the first time since 1988. Curling is also one of my favorite sports of the Olympics.

Runjedirun, solojones and Rylo Ken like this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Curling is probably the greatest sport ever invented, but I like the skiing too. Once you've discovered that curling is a thing humans do you can never really be surprised by anything else they do.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Sarge, dp4m and Darth_Duck like this.
  23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The main thing for me though is that these Olympics will feel a bit like the corona lottery, and I believe quite a few medals will be awarded to people, where their contenders might have never competed because they are in quarantine. Or when it comes to larger teams like hockey, where too many of the players are quarantined so that it's not the best that are playing. There are quite a lot of reports on how the Swedish Olympians are mostly worried about getting in to the Olympic village, and that they are quite scared for the journey there.

Pensivia, Rylo Ken and Runjedirun like this.
  24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The NHL isn't letting its players go, so already the men's hockey competition is just the best of what's available (300+ Canadians, almost 200 Americans, 70+ Swedes, 40 Finns, 37 Russians all at the top of their game are off the table).

Runjedirun likes this.
  25. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Both the Swedish and Norwegian Olympic teams are annoyed now that they have cases where persons who have had covid previously, and tested negative multiple times before they travelled, are now picked up as positive. There is a discussion on how it is handled with people who are not ill, but might have remains of the virus in the body, are being handled, and that apparently the Chinese tests give positive results on much lower amounts of virus than what is being used as a treshold in the rest of the world. So far no real medal contender in the Swedish team is affected, but Norway definitely has issues with some of their top skiers.