main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2023 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2023.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Last year accomplishments:
    • Dropped from 200 pounds to 165 pounds
    • Restarted swim lessons after a one-year hiatus
    • Went backpacking for the first time
    • Began to get into whitewater kayaking
    This year's goals:
    • Get down to my target weight of 145 pounds
    • Continue swim lessons to the point of being comfortable swimming laps without assistive equipment or my instructor in the water
    • Find an actual workout regimen that works for me and that I can sustain (I've reached the conclusion that it will need to be something I can do at home in the living room)
    • Do at least a short day hike once or twice each month in a variety of parks, along with at least two overnight backpacking trips
    • Build my kayaking skills and do at least five river runs

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Off to a good start. Because I had to spend 4 hours at the vet and there was nothing to do I just passed around so it’s possible I could get my second day of 56k steps already.

cathiecat likes this.
  3. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    This year I hope to get back on some sort of exercise schedule. I would like to lose some weight and focus on eating healthier overall. I want to get back into running as well once the weather is better. One of my goals is to run a half marathon. The most I have ever ran was a 10k a few years ago.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Anyway. Second day of the year was 67k steps. My goal this month is to get 5 days of 56k or more steps since then all I will need is 1 day per month after to reach my goal

cathiecat and Juliet316 like this.
  5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    How do you get so many steps? I consider 20,000 steps to be an extremely active day for me. I can't imagine 56,000 steps in one day.

cathiecat likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh it is.

I get so many steps because me and my family got a treadmill months back. Now when I am playing video games or what have you I can do that while walking. It makes such a difference. Also mostly doing nothing but walking for most of the day. It helps that I don’t have basically anything to do for the next week or two cause winter break.

cathiecat, Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I will swim more. A lot more.

My other fitness goal is to never enter a gym.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of gyms either. As for swimming, I'd love to, but the lake is frozen now, so it will be a few months.

cathiecat and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Nothing an ice pick and a 7mm dry suit can’t fix! :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Another 60k steps for me. Got a 3 mile run in there as well

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    30k steps for me today. I know I’ll be able to get a lot of steps on this semester as I don’t have hard classes. I might as well only have 2 classes as history classes are a breeze for me. Anyway I want to build up some steps for my 20k average goal as this summer. I will have an internship. So who knows how much time I will have for walking.

12. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Repped 405 for 5 sets of 5. Light. Felt good. Explosive. Back felt like a slab of ****ing iron.

Once I completed my entire back workouts and dodged the New Year’s resolutions gym punks, ran a mile while having a convo faster than I’ve ran in months.

I’m feeling animalistic. Barbaric. An absolute terror.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    As an aside. I had gotten up to 3.8 miles per hour for my “relaxing” treadmill walks before Christmas break. But just 11 days off the treadmill set me back to doing 3.2 miles per hour if I didn’t want my legs to kill me at the end of the day.

it goes to show just how fast muscles can change. Or maybe my muscles suck :p

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    When I can chew again, definitely rethinking the diet (Less processed food).

Will start stretching again.

While the weather is decent I am walking and reclaiming that. Still haven’t walked home from the bank, but it will happen at some point.

Working on staying positive, it can be a moment-by-moment thing here.

15. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Or maybe you walked 50k+ steps per day three days in a row and your legs are fatigued?

Loving my gym membership. Had a wonderful spin class yesterday, every time I go, I get a little braver with the settings and burn a few more calories. Plus, my legs are getting stronger, love it! On these dark winter mornings, the treadmill at the gym gives me a safe lighted temperature-controlled place to run. I seriously don't understand all the hostility towards gyms.

cathiecat, Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Ugh sorry about the above post. This is what I meant to quote. @Jedi Knight Fett I really think your legs were just tired from several days of crushing your goal. A day of taking it easy or two will probably get you back to where you were.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I saw that above post and was wicked confused. But I don’t think it’s the reasons my legs hurt. As it only happens around step 40k and it happened on the first of January as well. No. I do think it’s because of how fast I walk and or how much I run on the treadmill. Sure doing it 3 days in a row also doesn’t help. But I don’t think it’s the majority of the cause.

cathiecat likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Okay 4th marathon of the year. Also over 8 hours on the treadmill. I actually went to a gym with a friend for a couple of hours. So that was fun

19. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I did my longest run in over a year this morning. It was 12 miles at a talking pace, finally got back with my running friends after the holidays and being nice last week by not passing my cold on to them. It felt really good, but I imagine my legs will be tired later today or tomorrow.

cathiecat, Juliet316, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Also I figured it out. It’s definitely more the speed than the number of steps. I did almost all of my treadmill time at 3.2 miles per hour and even after 8 hours my legs only slightly hurt.

also again it seems the gym I go to for strength training. Lifting weights and what have you. Has just the most wacky clients. Or just insane.

cathiecat, Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    LOL, Yeah I never visit the half of the gym with all the weights. I stick to the cardio machines and a little area with mats and free weights for us non committed to being muscle people. Nothing wrong with getting muscles, I'm just a cardio person. There are some trainers at my gym who I think push people too hard, but I just don't think it's any of my business. I did the exercise at home thing for the pandemic and I missed my gym. I missed having the machines and a place to go. I push myself harder at the gym. I see the same smiling faces every morning. It's my happy place.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I will probably rejoin a gym at some point. I was a regular for years. It’s just not worth the money to me now when it’s easy for me to work out outside and I have yoga mats and weights in my house.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I only go to the gym once a week

cathiecat likes this.
  24. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I go 6 days a week, but I don’t go for the smiling faces. Only the pain.

cathiecat likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ...and the gain, amirite?