main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2023 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2023.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    If you're taking steps while swimming, you're doing it wrong. :p

In all seriousness, swimming is a different kind of physical activity, so I'm confused on how steps would be counted. Just like I wouldn't expect to accumulate steps lifting weights (other than walking from machine to machine), I wouldn't expect steps while swimming.

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, I know. I was just pretending to be offended. There are actually a number of apps for measuring swimming workouts. None of which I use because I’m generally allergic to measuring things and quantifying personal decisions because I’m Italian.

Sarge and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    So my running this year has gotten off to a good start except… immediately sore ankles and feet.

How do you guys run for so long or even build up the stamina and endurance in your feet to not hurt? And it’s not a question of muscle development, my body is very used to strenuous activity.

It’s specifically from running that I have lasting soreness in my feet and ankles that takes a few days to go away.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Liking the new avatar by the way

Runjedirun likes this.
  5. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It's the principal of the watch and other fitness apps giving you kudos galore for going for a run because you can get 10,000 steps in under an hour. But if you go for a swim and only get 5,000 steps during your daily activities the watch will take away your step count streak and this one fitness app I have will ask if I have the flu. Because they base way too much emphasis on step count. WTH.

You just have to build slowly. I had soreness when I got back on the spin bike a few months ago too. Your body has to adapt to new activities

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    Sarge, Guidman , Bor Mullet and 3 others like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s also why I don’t like running.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I’ve had a similar problem in the past. I was increasing the distance of my runs and I experienced pain in my feet and Achilles tendon. I had a pair of Muay Thai ankle supports lying around and I started wearing these on my runs (I’d probably buy a proper pair of support socks these days). Wearing the supports greatly reduced the pain and after a month or so, I was able to run pain-free without them.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Love your new avatar.

If you are on Facebook there is an awesome running group for 40 and over called Running Like a Wrinkly. I haven’t been impressed with the Runner’s World Facebook groups and was never on their message boards but I love the Wrinkly group.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Fitbit posted their yearly recap. Apparently fitbitters walked 47,000,000,000,000 steps. Wonder what the average is

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This. I have an acquaintance who talks about their step count all the time, and when I tell them about my swimming, their brain sort of does the slowly spinning hourglass of death from 90s Windows OS, and then they continue to talk about their step count.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    Sarge and Runjedirun like this.
  11. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Sir, this is the pedometer thread :p.

Bor Mullet, Sarge, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Sue this is a Wendy’s

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The right shoes are key. Any old pair of sneakers is not going to cut it. If possible, find a person who is trained in helping customers get the kind of running shoe that will work for you. Failing that, try on lots of shoes and choose one that feels stable and well-cushioned.

14. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    The left shoes are just as important as the right ones.

jcgoble3, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Dang it my joke was ruined by my big fingers!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Also, no matter how much your body is used to “strenuous activity” in general, running is a very specific stress on your lower body. So you should make sure to be increasing your mileage (and speed) very slowly as you progress.

But…if you have easy access to a body of water, know how to swim, and don’t do stupid things in open water, it’s overall a better workout overall (with one bone health exception): https://www.formswim.com/blogs/all/swimming-vs-running

Sorry, I’m a swimming stan.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    cathiecat and Sarge like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So there is a chance I may actually get my 16 days of 56k steps in January lol.

18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Good running form is certainly really, really, really important. There's a simple exercise that can assist in having good form, even though it's performed without moving forward.
    Christopher McDougall, author of Born to Run, wrote an article for the New York Times after discovering an old running article about the 100-up exercise.
    The exercise is comprised of minor and major versions, as described in the following articles. Of course, you'll find numerous videos by searching for "100-up exercise".

https://www.kineticedgept.com/100-up-exercise/
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/100-up-running_n_5406664
    https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html

Also, Danny Abshire wrote a pretty good book on running form, titled Natural Running: The Simple Path to Stronger, Healthier Running.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Guidman likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So turns out I was very dehydrated. I really need to drink more water

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That'll do it. Back in the beginning of the summer of '21, I woke up with horrific stomach cramps. Turned out I was very dehydrated too.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s good just to know what caused it

also my tenth day of walking over 56k steps finished and dusted.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  22. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Today I have started the long road towards building a new me. First, the facts:

1. I am 47 years old, I will be 48 in June
    2. I am 5 foot 10 and half inches tall
    3. Today I weighed in at 276 pounds

At one point in time I was in a really bad way. Around 2009 I was clinically depressed and I topped the scales at 372 pounds. Since then I have dealt with my mental health issues and started going down (all under the supervision and help of doctors). In 2015 I was at 245 and feeling great, and then my dad got sick and died. That set me back a bit, both physically and mentally. Long story short, since 2013 or so I have been stuck in a certain weight range, between 245 and 275. So I have decided to give myself one big push.

Today I started my prep work for Thursday, when I will have an intragastric globe put in my stomach. The globe will take up space in my stomach so I fill up rather quickly, so I will be eating less. Combine this with help Im getting from a nutritionist, the discipline I have started developing already of eating less and eating healthier, and also a workout routine, I have to believe my prospects are good to finally getting fit. I have been fat all my life, since I was like 6 years old.

I also plan on getting braces put on my teeth, and after the globe comes out (you have it in you for a year) I will be getting plastic surgery to take care of the loose skin. So physically I am getting my life in order, which will of course help my self-confidence and my mental health overall, which is already doing very well.

I cannot wait to see the results and share my experience with all of you. Maybe it will inspire and/or help some of you.

Just so you get an idea of what I'm putting myself thru, per medical instructions of course, today I started on an all liquid diet. Thursday I get the globe put in (via endoscopy) and I have to stay on an all liquid diet for about another week or so, and then I can start consuming "blenderized" foods, slowly incorporating foods until I can eat normally again. I am expected to suffer from nausea and maybe dizziness and an upset stomach while the globe settles in and my body gets used to it.

Feel free to ask any questions. I will keep you guys updated.

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Congratulations @Yoda's_Roomate on taking a very large step for your long-term health! The first step is always the hardest. Just remember that it will all be worth it in the end. [:D]

cathiecat, Pensivia and Runjedirun like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a friend who had the globe a few years ago and lost 50 pounds in six months on it. Good luck to you.

cathiecat, Pensivia and Runjedirun like this.
  25. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    @Yoda's_Roomate Thanks for sharing this. I’ll be interested to read about your progress. I can tell that you have made up your mind and you’re determined to get fit and healthy. With that positive attitude, I’m sure you’ll have success and see results. Good luck.