main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2023 Oscars (discussion of likely award-winning films)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thena, May 13, 2022.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Producers Guild awards were a much more even split between mainstream spectacle films that people actually saw and Oscars leaned a bit more into the important serious movies. But Avatar 2, Top Gun Maverick and Everything are pretty cool (and good) mainstream hits, Everything is a bit lower but certainly more than 7 other movies on there

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I’m down if it shuts down conversations about mediocre movies being considered for prestigious awards, diluting the cultural cache of filmmaking to appease loud Internet fanboys. I’d be fine with just seeing a list of who and what films were recognized. Maybe they could conduct a live broadcast via the Academy’s website instead.

tom likes this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The Oscars don't need to be a big network TV event anyway. Who cares what the ratings are. Cut the show budget and stream it on youtube for all I care.

The Academy is more than just one night in a year.

Bacon164 likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    nah, people will just repeat this argument every year, making sure they stay relevant.

Bacon164 and solojones like this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I didn't mean it disparagingly. I'm just saying that the Oscar for Best Picture doesn't carry as much respect these days among moviegoers as it used to. While there are winners which are well-regarded, the majority of them in recent years just don't leave as much of an impression, generally.
    My sincere apologies for any misunderstanding I've caused.

Sarge likes this.
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I know there have been some more obscure films winninf recently, including ones I still haven't seen.

But the issue is you're saying they "didn't leave an impression" just because they're obscure.

Also my post about EEAAO is to point out that it HAS had a cultural impact. If you knew a lot of Asian Americans you'd see this (I know a lot because of BTS fandom and Korean learning connections). But it's had an impact on broader audiences too.

I'm not offended, just saying

1) obscure doesn't mean not great
    2) EEAAO is not obscure anyway

Jedi Merkurian and Bacon164 like this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If Will Smith hadn't assaulted Chris Rock last year, the Oscars wouldn't have generated much attention.

Award shows should generally streamline.
    I like the Oscars but I'm not prepared to sit through it given how long it is.
    It goes too overboard with sketches & songs and other attempts to be cool instead of just focusing on awards.

It's why I prefer the BAFTAs, you get Richard E. Grant as a host and it only lasts a couple of hours.

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Very well.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

See I think this is an example of people confusing The Oscars the tv production with The Oscars the awards.

I have never cared about the skits or the host or the broadcast really. Same with the Emmys, which I used to work at for 5 years. I was there to support the nominees, my fellow TV makers in that case.

They could cut every skit and never have a host and yes that would be fine.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Oscars aversion to mainstream Blockbuster spectacle can get transparently condescending. Last year's trifecta of King Richard, Don't Look Up and Belfast are supposed to be better films than Spider-Man: No Way Home? Horsehockey!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Can thanos please snap his fingers again

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Do you get a meal at the Emmys? There used to be a meal at the Oscars.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Not watching the Oscars is a slippery slope that may lead to not paying any attention to celebrities whatsoever.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ooh Best Documentary Fire of Love and Best Live Action Short Le Pupille are on Disney Plus, guess those will be the 2 I watch

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is Chris Rock presenting?

16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    No Mia Goth for Best Actress?

Alas, horror will always be the red-headed stepchild of cinema.

Bacon164 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    @Rylo Ken who said anything about celebrities. I care about the acting categories sure, but not for celebrity status. But most of the people nominated for Oscars, whose crafts like editing and sound and cinematography that I deeply care about, are not remotely celebrities.

Nope. In fact there's no food allowed at the Emmys at all, leading to a looooong day of work without a snack.

Even as an actual invited guest at the Creative Arts Emmys, that was a four hour presentation with no food allowed.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Still pulling for that class action lawsuit to materialize.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread reminded me that Don't Look Up was a Best Picture nominee. Thanks a lot.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    SAG does do this for their awards.

I'd prefer to see Stunt accomplishments at the Oscars before Ensembles.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Netflix paid a lot of money for the nomination.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Absolutely need a stunt Oscar. For a long time they have. They have one for the Emmys.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Of the Marvel films recently, yes she does. Especially when you consider this is, in the grand scheme of things, a minor character that was pushed to the foreground due to the death of the lead actor. The fact she took that on, channeled that grief into her acting, and killed it? Yeah, I’d say she earned a nomination. It’s hard not to watch that movie and say she wasn’t dominating every scene she was in. The speeches she gives first to the UN and then to the council, are powerful, regal, and emotional. But beyond being the Queen, we get those moments of her as a mother and see the warrior side of her as well. And we see throughout how her grief drives her actions and the results.

It’s actually pretty impressive how much she was able to flesh out this character in really only one film. While she was in Black Panther, her role was significantly smaller. And aside for a blink and miss it cameo in Endgame, we really get everything about Ramonda from this film. And it’s hard to argue that Angela didn’t put her all into the performance. Clearly, this wasn’t the original plan but because she is a talented actress, she was able to step in and really help anchor the film and give it gravitas.

So sure, give her a nomination.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    A famous acting veteran being better than everyone else in a movie is hardly surprising.

Ian McDiarmid owned every scene be was in when he was in the PT, as did Sir Christopher Lee in most of his movies.
    Did they get nominated?

Did Sir Anthony Hopkins get nominated for out-acting everyone in the first Thor movie?

The main problem I have is that a lot of the nomination process doesn't seem very consistent.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I have no problem saying Ian did great in the prequels - but that wasn’t an Oscar level performance. Same with Anthony Hopkins really. Both put on something that probably would have rightly earned them Tony nominations were they on stage. But I do think there is a difference between a stage performance and an Oscar performance.

The grief filled speech that Ramonda gave about being the most powerful Queen whose entire family is gone? That was Oscar worthy. Honestly, it’s hard to even say she was supporting actress since she dominates more than half the film.

Now, whether she should win is another matter entirely. But I don’t think there should be any argument that she didn’t earn a nomination for her performance.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.