main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2023 Oscars (discussion of likely award-winning films)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thena, May 13, 2022.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The difference is that the actual filmmaking in Top Gun is better. The cinematography, the visual directing.. it's fine in The Woman King but nothing special. Also, The Woman King gets into not just cliche territory but utter melodrama to the point of being unbelievable or unnecessary to the story. The entire plot of

the mother-daughter connection

Is unneeded and frankly made me roll my eyes.

By comparison, in spite of its cliches, Maverick is restrained enough to keep the uber melodrama at bay. It's not like it's revealed that Rooster is actually Maverick's son or something.. it's a cliche drama, not a melodrama.

Also I'm sorry but The Woman King HAS to lose points for being historically inaccurate in the most over-the-top way possible. If it didn't posit itself as based on a true story or historical in any way, it would be different. But literally the only true thing in it is that these women warriors existed, which was impressive and interesting...

But the fantasy version of it in Black Panther is better than this "true story" version.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [Braveheart has entered the chat]

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    no-one gives a **** what wins best picture. the oscars are dead.

Jedimarine and SW Saga Fan like this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, but he was white.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    true apathy goes unannounced.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @gezvader28 Yet incredibly it still landed in the Top 25 TV Shows according to the Nielsen Ratings:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/to...wstone-ncis-oscars-fbi-super-bowl-1235475629/

Heck it was the only thing that wasn't in a sporting event in the Top 30. Yes, the audience has significantly shrunk over the past 30 years but you can say that about a lot of things since obviously the saturation of TV has been happening for a few decades due to cable and especially streaming. It still has significance just not what it once though I do concede that it needs to get more modern and if it doesn't it could very well become truly inconsequential. But it isn't there yet especially how much businesses value it. There is a reason why it fetches the second highest dollar amount for a 30 second commercial outside of the Super Bowl. It's because besides the ratings being very high for a non sporting event, Madison Ave knows those who watch it are typically people with some strong discretionary spending and like to use it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

No one here is defending Braveheart? It's totally completely inaccurate and should not have been nominated.

But again, most of my objection to the idea of TWK getting a BP nom is that it's simply not one of the ten best films of the year this year..period.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @solojones One good thing about Braveheart? It did give Alan Ladd Jr. a much deserve Academy Award.

[​IMG]

Just ignore the crazy racist psychopath in the middle.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't think historical accuracy or inaccuracy should really factor in at all honestly. I mean, BlackKklansman had a ridiculous amount of completely fabricated material in it, but it absolutely deserved the BP nomination and I wouldn't have been angry if it had won, even though it wasn't my favorite of the slate that year.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Then read the rest if my post about why it's not a deserving movie.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Gladiator isn't historically accurate, but it's a damn great movie that deserved all the awards it won.

Very few historical movies are particularly accurate, because actual history could be quite boring.

You don't give out awards based on accuracy, you do it based on film-making quality.
    Are we going to disregard any movie every time someone carries a sword on their back or uses flaming arrows?

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Another strong point of Devotion is that it has no glaring historical inaccuracies like those. The only things it got 'wrong' were some early scenes that were made up to provide exposition that set up the ending for success. The ending is as close to exactly right as we're ever likely to see for a Hollywood history movie.

solojones likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah but Top Gun Maverick has Danger Zone!

14. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Well, they still have managed to recapture once again everyone's attention last year. I think they should create a prize for "how to ressurect from the dead from a brief moment" and reward themselves, or at least reward Chris Rock and Will Smith:

[​IMG]

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    You know as well as I do that they're already typing up the boring jokes for the teleprompter to talk about Will Smith's absence and how many people he's slapped since last year.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    *host enters, wearing football helmet*

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Did anyone read the rest of my post where I said The Woman King was not as well made as Maverick and has some actively bad melodrama elements?

Of course not.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes, I read it. I haven't seen TWK since it first came out, and I agree there was some melodrama, but I don't recall if it was as actively bad as the melodrama in TGM. I just saw that one yet again last night, and I had forgotten how bad some of the characters and dialog are. Hangman is a terrible character with terrible lines and exists only to add some meaningless conflicts. But even his lines aren't the worst. "We're the best there is. Who're they gonna get to train us?" Ugh. Who talks like that? Nobody. Pure cringe.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree that Maverick shouldn't have gotten a screenplay nom..there are many many more deserving films for that.. that's not it's strength.

But I'm sorry, the melodrama of TWK with
    the focus character who clashes with the general just HAPPENING to be her long lost daughter

Isn't just cliche, it's straight up soap opera territory. And the film didn't need it at all. It for me kinda

reduced these strong warriors to "just women" by kinda implying their lives were only fulfilled because they had a child to pass it on to.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, I can't argue with that.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You're tempting me to put TWK in my arsefests list. I thought it was okay when I saw it, but I'm disliking it more, day by day. It's such a silly and contrived film and the historical inaccuracies make Braveheart look like a Ken Burns documentary.

22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I do think the only thing that makes it worth it are the unscripted things.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Having not seen The Woman King, there's really no such thing as a historically "accurate" film. To craft a story, things must necessarily be compressed, omitted, twisted; things must be distorted or added for the sake of drama. History itself is often debatable, a matter of perspective, or just outright lies. Many records are lost, others are biased sources, and the vast majority of past events were never recorded to being with. I agree with @Rogue1-and-a-half generally that historical accuracy doesn't matter when evaluating a film as a work of art, but it can be a problem when it is presented as accurate (especially for political purposes) or is widely believed to be (e.g., The Birth of a Nation being used to stoke racial animus, or as a less extreme example, James Cameron defaming a real member of the Titanic crew).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So this is my problem with the particular way historical inaccuracy works in The Woman King. It IS changed, wildly so, for political purposes.

Just because those are politics (diversity, anti-slavery which is still a modern issue, women's rights and power) I generally agree with though does NOT mean it excuses this film for the particular way it presents historical subjects.

I mean, let's call a spade a spade: the women warriors portrayed in the film were a cool aspect of history from a feminist point of view... They also were actually on the side of the slavers.

The film glosses over this by having their nation currently involved in slavery, but the women heroically fighting against it.

This is not a mere historical changing to make the story more compelling. I get that those will always happen. This is exactly as you said, a politically driven change that totally flips reality on its head.

This would be akin to if Braveheart, a notoriously wildly innacurate film, also purported that William Wallace was fighting for English rule.

I completely understand historical adaptation and have participated in it professionally. I was a historical researcher for one of the most prominent historically based television shows in history!

It's this background and understanding of how history works, how it's all just perspective-based stories, that gives me reason to feel The Woman King is an egregious example of changing major facts for political reasons.

In spite of all this, TWK manages to tell a story of slavery that is overall true (that it was a horrible colonial atrocity, that Africans participated in, and that some Europeans fought against). So I could almost forgive all this...

.... If it weren't also working with character development beats right out of a soap opera.

Look, I really WANTED to love this film in spite of its flaws. I did. It's just... Not that good. It's not one of the best 10 films of the year, there's no way.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Brace yourselves; I have a real shocker for you. I know a thing or two about military aviation history. Everybody recovered now? Take another minute if you need it.

I've read a bit about Manfred von Richtofen, aka The Red Baron, including the advice he shared on air combat. One of the things he told his men was, "Always aim for the man, not the machine."

A few years ago I was watching a then-recent movie about him and the Red Baron character said, "Always aim for the machine, not the man."

That's one I'll never watch again.