main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2023 Oscars (discussion of likely award-winning films)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thena, May 13, 2022.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get." that's not true either, it says on the box what each one is.

2. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Before they may not have said it. Now they say it, because people no longer appreciate good or bad surprises, or maybe because we live in an era where we feel too insecure.

Still a touching scene though:

Juliet316 , gezvader28 and Sarge like this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Really the problem is that people are going to assume it's some sort of mock frog.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Except it sounds like she literally did what every studio does...?

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, that is incredibly inaccurate; he didn't mention beagles at all.

Sarge, solojones and Darth_Duck like this.
  7. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    the donkey in the Bansheerenis (how the **** do you spell bansheerisn?) how has he is he not got a best Oscar Nom ?

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    "Best Oscar?"

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Definitely the Grouch.

10. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    well Best Donkey or whatever, he was brilliant. Have you seen the movie?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Producers get an Oscar when their movie wins Best Picture; they don't need their own category.

But, yeah, I've seen it. Predictably excellent. Farrell might just be career best; he's subsumed all of his natural charm and affability to play an utterly charmless, unlikable and pretty stupid character. And Kerry Condon was fantastic. Barry Keoghan . . . excellent. Yeah, really great movie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    All right, who's seen Women Talking? I just came from seeing it in the theater and I am kind of dumbfounded at how little I liked it. I tend to like Sarah Polley; it's got Rooney Mara, Jessie Buckley and Claire Foy. Why am I so chilly on this movie? Well, one thing I can say objectively: I hated the extreme desaturation. I get what they were going for with the whole thing about how the lives in this community are so bleak and it would have been jarring if a movie about the systematic, years-long program of rape and molestation of young girls and women was filled with vibrant colors. But there was probably a middle ground. I found it really off-putting and it just kinda pulled me out of the movie, I think.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm waiting for VOD for Women Talking which should be in about less than 2 weeks. I like all those actresses so probably find something in it.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I'm waiting on that one too..just saw TAR is now on... I think Peacock? One of the services I have. So that and Banshees are up next for me this week probably.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    TAR is on Peacock, yes.

solojones likes this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Of the best picture nominees, I've seen:

The Banshees of Inisherin
    Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Top Gun: Maverick
    Triangle of Sadness

I've liked them all on some level but I didn't walk away from any of them thinking I'd just seen the best picture of the year.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Something I usually do at some point is just watch all the BP nominee trailers back to back in one sitting. It's just kind of a way to get a compressed overview of the films in a way that even just watching them all separately won't do. So I just did that.

This is a weird slate of movies. They are each radically different from all of the others.

BigAl6ft6 and solojones like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Saw Banshees last night, and I really enjoyed it but good god is it dark. Not as dark as Three Billboards or In Bruges.

Okay, never mind.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Banshees is definitely dark but there are some great one-liners. "Why'd you start with fingers?" and there's a sight gag involving a dog that totally breaks the realism vibe the movie is going for but it's good enough to get a pass.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Barry Keoghan gets some amazingly funny bits. "What the hell was he hittin' you with?" "A kettle was the final thing. *pause* I wouldna minded but for the spout." I mean, that's just such a classically structured joke that you can't help but laugh, but it's so terrible. I genuinely think I laughed more at Banshees than I did at anything else I saw this year. It's hilarious. And, yeah, really dark. It's a great example of how you can be dark without being grim.

BigAl6ft6 and tom like this.
  21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Ah ha, so the evil confectioners of Crunchy Frog have returned.

(Promptly leaves thread)

Sarge and Ramza like this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The best movie of any given year isn’t a very high bar. Also it’s hard to tell what movies are going to stand the test of time. Ideally they should hand out Oscars 10 years later. We should be nominating 2012 movies now. What movies do people still watch from 2012? Probably Ted, The Hunger Games and Pitch Perfect. So those get nominated for best picture in 2023. Ok this was a terrible idea.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  23. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    For 1980, the nominees for Best Picture should have been The Shining, The Elephant Man, Caddyshack, and Airplane!

Oh, and a nice little picture called The Empire Strikes Back.

Count Yubnub, Rylo Ken and Sarge like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You're forgetting that the academy loves a musical. So Popeye is the obvious 1980 winner.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I'd be more upset about Andrea Riseborough's grass-roots campaign for an Oscar nomination this year if she shouldn't have won in 2020 for Possessor.