main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 24: The Jack Bauer Power Hour (and Spin-Offs)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2005.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Finale was interesting, a lot more lower key than the (incredibly awesome but incredibly dark) finale of Live Another Day. But this instead of being world ending stakes went something much more personal. Also the Eric V Tony brawl was kind of awesome. And I'm genuinely surprised

they killed off Miranda Otto's Rebecca. It is a solid move for the season, if this is the only one, because her being caught up in awful things she did is how it ends. Now, I'm legit annoyed Jack Bauer didn't even get a mention at all, not even a passing update. But the sort of thematically referenced Jack when Rebecca said that things end badly for people in their jobs. So basically being at CTU is portents of doom for their lives. Killing her off works but it's kind of a bad move if they get a second season because basically the three best characters / actors in the show were Eric, Rebecca and Tony. But if this is it, it's a nicely dramatic ending.

Some good interviews on 24 over at Hollywood Reporter. Spoilery stuff with Manny Cotto about the finale and what Season 2 would portent. I found this quote interesting:

"We didn't want to redo what we did with Jack [in season one]. We wanted to end on a slightly hopeful note. The Jack Bauer storyline and seasons became very much Jack having to end in darkness: his wife dying, or his daughter not wanting to speak with him, or some personal horrible tragedy. We wanted to take that away and go in a different direction with Eric Carter. The season swims in a pretty dark place, but we thought it would be interesting to end in a happier place. That was the original conception for Live Another Day. I always wanted to end it on a happy note. But creatively, things went a different direction, with Bauer going to Russia. In this incarnation, I was bound and determined that that wasn't going to happen, that Carter was going to find some happiness at the end of all of this."
    So Live Another Day was supposed to give Jack a happy ending in it's initial conception and then, well, what actually happened. Which was great! but really dark. so they changed that around a lot. But I think it works as a finale for Jack, bleak it may be. But Rebecca kind of said the same thing here.

Also a interview with Otto (I literally did not realize she was in Lord of the Rings until today. That's why she looked so familiar!) And two slightly older articles, a nifty interview with Carlos Bernard about Tony's origins and how he came back. And, my personal favourite, a list of the best 24 deaths on 24!

So, goodbye 24 if this is it. Been an interesting run and I did like this season / experiment. Cool to see the 24 world still happening without Jack but .... in the end, you kinda do need him. It's too big of a hole. But Tony is slightly less evil now, yay! And Eric is pretty cool and I understand the reasoning that Jack has been broken so much you need a lead who doesn't have as much trauma baggage (and still intact / alive loved ones).

But we really need Jack Bauer to be the Jack Bauer Hour of Power. Hopefully one day he gets out of Russia. Maybe.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe by the time Jack gets out of Russia, he'll have taken care of our real - life problems with Russia as well.

*only half - kidding*

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I am two episodes behind on this season; however, from everything I have read I do believe that I want them to come back with a new season.

Season 2: Tony and Eric team up to get Jack out of Russia?!?!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Depends on what happens with Designated Survivor, I suppose.

5. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I was so disappointed. I went to On Demand to get caught up on the 2nd half of Designated Survivor and the first episode I missed was already off.

Guess I have to wait for Kodi to go on my FireStick tonight.

I will say that I too am disappointed we didn't even get a mention of Jack. He saved the country how many times over 8 seasons and was the gold standard of CTU and not even a single reference? Seemed like they went too far to take him out of the series.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah that is a tad, okay, extremely weak we didn't get a single Bauer update or teaser. Hopefully, the producers realize if they get a chance to do 24 again they need to fill us in on Jack. But I'm officially back on board (again!) for hoping for a magical circumstance to get a "24 All Stars Crew Break Jack Out of Russia" season. Would be an interesting capper to the series if they could pull it off (and just pure, unadulterated fan service). And it's not as if there's been years-long gaps in between 24 seasons anyway and potentially adding Jack in there again would definitely boost the ratings that 24: Legacy probably sorely needed.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    A season-long campaign to rescue Jack from Russia would be awesome. They wouldn't even need to necessarily show Jack until the final episode or two, allowing Kiefer to keep on filming Designated Survivor. Then he flies out to the 24 set for a weekend, films a couple scenes, then goes back to DS.

Yodaminch and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I need to catch up on 24 but will likely not get to that until summer at this rate.

As to a season dedicated to rescuing Jack: Just add Chloe as a main character and I'm in. I would also not oppose Kate coming back. She was one of the better agents. Perhaps we learn she and Chloe have been working on rescuing Jack during this time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    24 always had a habit of "rebooting" basically every season, they'd start with very few returning characters, a whole whack of new ones, and then slowly reintroducing returning characters as it went on. 24: Legacy was bit of a different beast in that there was only 1 returning character, and it was Tony so horray, but it took 6 episodes until he showed (and his screentime was kind of limited in a few appearances). The show is mostly aware of it's own continuity even as it freely chucks out huge chunks of it. I would hope if (hopefully when) we see 24 again, they go full bore into their roster of (surviving) characters and make something big out of it.

Oddly, I'd still rather see a 12 episode 24 season (although I still would love a full 24 ep season return) than a 2 hour movie. The show kind of works better in the real-time format as opposed to just a single chunk. Sometimes you kind of need these dithering romance / family conflict / mopey subplots that generally end in horrible violence anyway.

TX-20 likes this.
  10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The problem with losing the other twelve hours is that we don't get to see the great cheesy subplots.

I wanted to see Mullins deal with his bipolar ex wife.
    I wanted to see Amira & David attempt to finish off Drew at two more times.
    I wanted to see Nicole deal with a patient that asks her to help him die with dignity.
    I wanted to see Mariana deal with the ghost of Edgar Stiles in the haunted server room.

Oh well.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    They need to do a season long attempt at rescuing Bauer only to find him dead in the final minute. Now that is how you do 24.

TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    In a 24 episode season, the Amira plot would have been stretched out to gloriously dopey levels. She blew up the truck in episode 6 but you bet your bottom dollar it would have been episode 12. She'd probably have to go kill Drew's mom or something while crying profusely. I thought that plot in Legacy was my favourite classic 24 dopey somewhat romance or sexual tension infused with terrorism sub plot. Which is totally a thing in 24.

I actually thought the actress was pretty good, considering she had to swing from emotional and ideological extremes in every episode. There's always a crazy one who does that.

TX-20 likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, Designated Survivor was renewed so if 24 comes back, it's likely Jack will remain in Russia for the time being.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Fox has definitely cancelled or renewed their fall 2017 slate but on 24: Legacy they're still silent. However, I would wager if there was a S2 it would air in 2018. Hell, maybe they'll hold back and make it a summer 2018 show, that would be kind of awesome. I sorta loved 24: Live Another Day in the summer.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    No 24! In the fall. Which we all figured anyway. Corey Hawkins on Broadway (I bet Keifer Sutherland wouldn't have delayed a 24 season and the closest he may have gotten to Broadway was probably having a smoke outside).

http://deadline.com/2017/05/no-24-legacy-prison-break-this-season-fox-corey-hawkins-1202093623/

But they are going to talk about it.

As for the future of 24: Legacy, blame Broadway. The Great White Way is where reboot star Corey Hawkins is onstage in Six Degrees Of Separation, and that’s stopped the clock on more 24 for now. While mentioning more 24 could be “in the mix,” Newman said on a Monday morning conference call that Hawkins’ “schedule won’t allow consideration for the fall.”

Giving further hope to more 24, the Fox execs said Monday that they wanted to sit down with executive producer Howard Gordon to see where the franchise could perhaps go next.

So I doubt we've seen the last of 24. Maybe they're waiting to see if Designated Survivor makes it past a S2 order.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So officially 24: Legacy is cancelled. But still chattering about a future anthology format.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-fox-eyes-anthology-franchises-future-1011389

"While 24: Legacy will not be back for a second season, Fox is already talking with 24 producers — including Howard Gordon and Brian Grazer, who are said to be very involved — for a new anthological take on the franchise. Network brass remain confident that 24 will return for a new incarnation that would be built around 24's famous real-time storytelling device. It will not, however, be a version of Legacy, meaning stars Hawkins and Jimmy Smits would not be involved. (Female lead Miranda Otto was killed off in the Legacy finale.) The anthology format makes sense for the franchise and would allow for the creation of new storylines and characters in every incarnation."

I kinda just dig the world and storytelling vibe and all. Still think they have an awesome all-star version in them somewhere.

TX-20 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Double post.

[​IMG]

Dammit, Chole! You need to fix the servers!

Juliet316 and TX-20 like this.
  18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Anthologize this show!
    24: Tony the Torturer
    24: Chloe O'Brian and the Server Farm of Doom
    24: Kim Bauer is the Cougar Now!
    24: Day in the Life of a CTU Mole

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Double Post!?

20. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Triple Post!?!?!

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's been doing that the last few days. The powers that be say it'll be at least a couple of more days until it all calms down.

TX-20 likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's been doing that the last few days. The powers that be say it'll be at least a couple of more days until it all calms down.

TX-20 likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

TX-20 likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    24! Returns! As a legal drama! Wait, what?

http://deadline.com/2017/11/24-series-comeback-female-lead-fox-franchise-1202199024/

Details about the premise are sketchy, but I hear that the potential new 24 series centers on a female prosecutor who uncovers a legal conspiracy and has to work against the clock to save a death row inmate facing imminent execution whom she had helped prosecute but may be innocent. I hear this is part of an anthological take on 24 that would tackle a new world with new characters each season.

Uhm, okay? "Witness take the stand!" *BEEP BEEP BEEP* Although I'm sure the plucky female lawyer will have to disarm a nuke at some point. And if it's about prosecuting various CTU moles over the years, I would be okay with that. Or the trail of Jack Bauer. And some terrorist sets up a nuke in the judge's gavel.

26. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That’s actually an interesting approach (well maybe not the lawyer part, we have plenty enough lawyer shows already, but rather the anthology approach)- take the clock premise without having to make clones of Jack or drag Jack back into things yet again.

Juliet316 and TX-20 like this.