main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT 3 changes you'd make to each prequel, to make the PT nearly universally-loved?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Vic and Bob

Vic and Bob Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2018
    Then why waste time discussing such matters? In my mind you obviously do care.

2. Antipodean

Antipodean Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2019
    Episode I:
    1. Anakin is a teenager around the same age as Padmé. (His presence in the final battle would make a whole lot more sense that way.)
    2. The Trade Federation are much more obviously intimidating and formidable, with their occupation of Naboo being more clearly brutal instead of being mostly left offscreen.
    3. There's no Rule of Two. It just creates too many problems later. The Sith can be a small group without needing a rule like that.

Episode II (in which Anakin is the same age, so about five years have passed rather than ten):
    1. Instead of going back to Naboo, Anakin and Padmé go directly to Tatooine and seek out his mother together, falling in love on their journey.
    2. Everything Dooku says to Obi-Wan in that scene where he's got him in the floating restraints is actually true. Dooku is much more morally ambiguous, he hasn't fallen to the Dark Side, and he left the Jedi Order and split from the Republic because he found out the Chancellor was a Sith lord. He's not allied with Palpatine, he's just playing into Palpatine's hands.
    3. In that part near the end where Anakin wants to jump out of that aircraft to go help Padmé, and Obi-Wan tells him "You will be expelled from the Jedi Order!" – Anakin should've jumped, and been expelled from the Jedi Order. It would solve the problem of how Vader was said to have left Obi-Wan while "still a learner" and yet Anakin was said to be Obi-Wan's equal (because they're still both going to be fighting alongside each other as generals in the Clone War), it would leave Anakin more open to Palpatine's influence in falling towards the Dark Side and becoming more distrustful of the Jedi, and it would cause an uncomfortable echo in Episode V when Luke leaves Dagobah to go rescue Han and Leia.

Episode III (aside from the knock-on effects of what I've already changed):
    1. Anakin is already in the process of falling to the Dark Side (again there should be an uncomfortable echo in Episode VI with Luke's first appearance when he Force-chokes Jabba's guard), and the whole thing is framed more as a seduction than as a Faustian bargain.
    2. Obi-Wan and Anakin's duel is on the rim of a volcano rather than on a river of lava. Obi-Wan ends up stabbing Anakin through the lungs and severing his spine, and then lets him fall (apparently dead) into the volcano: he doesn't just leave him lying there alive but crippled. In fact, when Vader gets revealed in his suit at the end there should be some ambiguity about it: did he actually die and Palpatine revived him somehow? Is he a zombie? Is he a clone? Does he even remember his old life as Anakin?
    3. Padmé doesn't die at the end: she goes into hiding on Alderaan with her (unnamed on-screen) daughter.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  3. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    I'm reluctant to compromise George Lucas' "vision," here, but here's my 3 changes:

The Phantom Menace
    Shorten the final space battle. It goes on too long and compared to ANH, the extras playing the pilots just don't seem to have their hearts in it.
    Give Jar-Jar the excuse of previous Human contact so that he can talk normally compared to Boss Nas. He was given too much incoherent dialogue.
    I wouldn't have Anakin fall instantly in love with Padmé - try taking him away from Qui-gon, a little bit, in favor of developing a believable bond between them.

Attack of the Clones
    Steal dialogue from a romance novel, if needs be, to help the love story out.
    In TPM, Anakin assured his mother he would return to save her in AotC, so ... return and save her.
    Give Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru more interaction. They pop in only because they have to. They say "hi" and then ... they're out of the story.

Revenge of the Sith
    Give Anakin's turn to the dark side more motivation. Padmé is smokin' hot and the mother of his children, but it would help if Anakin respected his wife as more than that. Nothing about their relationship that we get to see suggests that they're doing anything other than playing house. He doesn't talk with her, he talks at her. This is done because Lucas demands the simplicity of motivation that he's desperate enough to join the dark side to save his wife. And what about that big-ass library we saw in the previous movie? Doesn't that have a medical section? Is their relationship so secret that Padmé's not even allowed to go see a doctor about her pregnancy? What about his abilities with gadgets? Cant' he fashion a device to scan her? Can't R2 do it, he can keep a secret ... come off it.

Having Padmé willing herself to die with 2 mouths to feed. She was the queen on the Galaxy, babe! She'd be accepting enough of the situation to do what must be done.

Anakin's battle with Obi-wan was entirely too drawn out. Skywalker's speech about his "empire" and all that garbage just didn't even make sense. It was barely more than word salad, I commend Hayden Christensen for regurgitating it with as much passion as he did. And when "Vader" gets his limbs chopped off and Obi-wan's giving him a lecture and leaving him to die went completely contrary to his "I loved you" rant. I mean ... he didn't even try to use the force to toss him up to higher ground. Just this "you've really disappointed me, Anakin" awkwardness.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Episode I:
    1. Remove Jar Jar
    2. Remove Anakin saving the day in a Naboo Fighter
    3. Remove Stiff Jedi Attitudes

Episode II:
    1. Remove Anakin’s Complaining
    2. Have Padme make Palaptine Supreme Chancellor instead of Jar Jar, making her folly equal with Anakin’s.
    3. Let us see more of the Tuskancide, Anakin going dark.

Episode III:
    1. Remove General Grievous, he’s one too many villians in EPIII.
    2. Cut out Yoda and Palpatine’s duel, it distracts from the Battle of Brothers: Anakin vs Obi-Wan.
    3. Have Dooku instead of Grievous, so that Obi-Wan redeems himself in lightsaber combat and defeats the Count, ending the war.

5. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    What library? And why that? On Coruscant there must have been thousands of hospitals and doctors. Plus, Padmé herself was never concerned about dying in child birth, only Anakin was. And after he choked her, Coruscant was already under the control of the Empire. How could she have gone back there to get treatment, when even the Jedi were already in exile? None of them could have gone back there without Sidious noticing.

6. Master Edlo

Master Edlo Jedi Grand Master

May 25, 1999
    Episode I changes:
    1. Eliminate Jar-Jar character and no kiddie or potty jokes
    2. Haley Joel Osment instead of Jake Lloyd
    3. No killing of Darth Maul (even though we now know he lived)

Episode II changes:
    1. Eliminate Jar-Jar character and no sappy love dialog, particularly about sand
    2. Leonardo DiCaprio instead of Hayden Christensen
    3. Darth Maul instead of Count Dooku

Episode III changes:
    1. Darth Maul beaten then beheaded by Anakin instead of Count Dooku
    2. Padme die due a plausible reason other than a ‘broken heart’
    3. No “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Erkan12 likes this.
  7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    you are probably the first person I have heard that wouldn't mind DiCaprio as Anakin on these boards.
    I like DiCaprio and think he would have done a good job!

I now like Hayden in the role. Took me quite a few years, but now I do :D so either choice is fine by me :)

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Here's what I would change from each movie:

TPM
    1. Nothing
    2. Nothing
    3. Nothing

AOTC
    1. Nothing
    2. Nothing
    3. Nothing

ROTS
    1. Nothing
    2. Nothing
    3. Nothing

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  9. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    A sense a fan of the Son of Dorthimir.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't really change much. IMO there are far many more things to enjoy in this trilogy than there are things one could deem "cringeworthy."

1. I would rewrite the dialogue in certain scenes, and direct the actors' delivery to be "faster, more intense."
    2. I would have most aliens and the clone troopers be real, or animatronic-rather than CG.

I suppose I DO have a few story preferences:

1. Starting TPM when Anakin is older-like 12 or 13
    2. Darth Maul being the main Sith apprentice that Anakin ultimately defeats-and Dooku not existing
    3. Anakin turning to the darkside already by the end of AOTC
    4. Darth Vader in his mechanical suit during the whole climax of ROTS, with his duel with Obi-Wan occurring earlier in the film.

However, I'm ultimately happy with how the story progressed in the PT overall.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  11. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    - Make Anakin a teenager in TPM. Older Obi Wan instead of Qui Gon Jinn. Alderaan instead of Naboo.

- Jar Jar is a Sith and the main antagonist along with Palpatine.

- Yoda does not fight anybody and is a mentor for the Jedi council.

Avnar likes this.
  12. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    This is the library to which I earlier referred:
    [​IMG]
    The point I was making about Padmé seeing a doctor was that Anakin doesn't just hit her with the "die at childbirth" bomb at the last minute. She had plenty of chances to see a medical droid (of which STAR WARS has shown a plethora) and confirm that all's well regarding her pregnancy and the significant likelihood of her not dying at any point during it. And this information would've surely been used to assure Anakin causing him to investigate the probable cause of these dreams (Palpatine) or to dismiss them as the fears they are.

Padmé doesn't even suggest that Anakin's got a problem, due to his mother's fate. That this might all be in his head. She shows no concern over any of this, does not investigate anything further. Instead she's dismissive of information dumps Anakin urgently imparts upon her. The falseness of how these matters are approached and handled also makes Padmé's eventual death come across as equally false. We're never given a window into Padmé's reasoning for any of these things. Some dialogue changes might've helped, but again ... she was Queen Amadala. You know? In her hands was the fate of the Galaxy. So adept was she, in fact, that we're told her citizenry demanded she stay in office. But because its in the script, she's dumbed down, considerably since she's left her post ... and it doesn't ring "true."

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Great contribution! [face_plain] I love the OT but would still play along with the TS question!

I would literally change everything... The easier question for me would be "What would you keep"

TPM
    - Change Naboo to Alderaan and get rid of the Gungans...
    - Make Anakin older (and have the whole PT set over 5 years) and keep the Jedi numbers right down.
    - The battle droids should be more menacing. Replace with commando, super and magna.
    - Match up the aesthetic of the OT and get rid of the over the top cgi
    - Line it up with the OT backstory properly and get rid of Qui Gon - He's not needed.

Sorry, that was 5 - 10 things :D

I won't do the other two films as it starts with the above to me...

Last edited: May 4, 2019