main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

30 Years of Expanding the Universe, A Jedi Council event: The Top 100 EU Works RESULTS

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    "After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my storyâ??however many films it took to tellâ??was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories that I was destined to tell. Instead they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga." - George Lucas

Well, ladies and gents, the results are in for the top 100 EU Works list -- though, due to ties, it is in fact the top 101. Your votes were tallied and all 183 nominated works were totaled. Some of the works present you might find odd; you might find it strange that some others weren't included. You have no one to blame but yourselves.:p

Tonight I present to you the first portion of the list for discussion.

97. (tie) Tales of the Jedi: Redemption - The popular tale of Ulic Qel-Droma's death and redemption, it's perhaps surprising this entry didn't finish higher.

97. (tie) Splinter of the Mind's Eye - Among the first EU works created, Splinter of the Mind's Eye may be slightly strange, but it holds an important position in the EU.

97. (tie) Jade Solitaire - A short story about Mara Jade, this is only the first of many works by Timothy Zahn to make the list.

97. (tie) Battlefront II - It's the ability to kill Gungans and Ewoks that got this on the list, isn't it?

97. (tie) A New Hope Radio Drama - Brian Daley's radio dramatizations of the original trilogy remain among the most important early contributors in expanding the universe.

93. (tie) The Corellian Trilogy - In introducing Thrackan Sal-Solo and Centerpoint Station and giving us our first good look at the Corellian system, the Corellian Trilogy set up important elements for future EU.

93. (tie) Jedi: Mace Windu - one of the first Clone Wars comics, this issue introduced Sora Bulq and Asajj Ventress to comics readers . . . but more importantly, it introduced the Hat.

93. (tie) Rogue Planet - This prequel novel both set up the post-TPM world and many elements of the New Jedi Order series, as well as marking an early appearance of Tarkin in the prequel period.

93. (tie) Boba Fett series - In this young readers' series, the basis of Boba Fett's bounty-hunting career was finally brought to light.

90. (tie) Republic: Honor and Duty - The tale of Sagoro Autem's loyalty to and disillusionment with the Republic remains a strongly-characterized tragedy and one of John Ostrander's more overlooked contributions to the Expanded Universe -- though not so overlooked as to miss the list.

90. (tie) Republic: Darkness - Another Ostrander work, Darkness continued the story of Quinlan Vos, Aayla Secura, and Villie while introducing Tholme and exploring Quinlan's past.

90. (tie) The Truce at Bakura - The novel that shows just what happens after Return of the Jedi, The Truce at Bakura shows early cooperation between the Empire and Rebellion and Leia's struggle to forgive her father.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm surprised to see Jade Solitaire making the list- it's not one to come immediately to mind often when looking at the various works of the Zahnpoleverse.

Likewise, I'm also surprised to see SOTME ranked so low- I had expected the nostalgia vote to bump it a bit higher.

I suspect Redemption being so hard to find in the past couple years may be a factor in it's ranking.

I'd love to see where the CT ranks 10 yeras from now if we did another one of these polls, and likewise if we could have done the same back when the CT came out, as I'm curious how it's recent relevance to the events of the NJO and LOTF has affected it's ranking and perception.

I still remember back when it came out and taking awhile to recover from the shock of having Corellia be so independent and, essentially, the "bad guys" in relation to the NR- I mean, this is Han Solo's world, so you would have naively thought they'd have been a big part of the "good guys"/NR at the time. It was an interesting take on things that took me offguard, but led to some of the more satisfying aspects of the NJO and LOTF. Also, by picking up the loose threads from TAB, it was one of the first series that really felt like this mix of standalone trilogies and one-shots that Bantam released really were meshing together in the larger scheme of things.

...for a good reason. ;) :p

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I think that the CT is overlooked in general...it's certainly on the better end of the Bantam stick.

Splinter's rating is very, very disheartening. But understandable. ;)

4. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I think it's better than it's given credit for, but I do think it has some severe weaknesses -- it was really one big book or a duology stretched over a trilogy. It is one of the better executions of the Superweapon of the Week + Warlord of the Week plot, as it somewhat subverted both of them.

5. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    Selonians and Dralls just make stupid secondary characters. Q9 was and still is the bomb though. I'm also surprised that Jade Solitaire made the list. It does tone it down on the Mara worship in relation to other Zahn works IMO, that gives it some points in my book. Seeing the Radio Drama on the list is heartening, even if I've never listened to it. Always nice to see the old-school EU get a shout-out.

If Redemption only just barely made the list, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the TotJ series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rest of the series didn't seem to be very popular with the voters. Also, without the NJO, I doubt anyone would've voted for Rogue Planet, that book definitely ranks near the bottom on my EU favorites list.

Blasphemy! :p

6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Fixed.

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Even they don't save that thing. It's an extended preface to the NJO, and if you're just reading RP alone, well...there's no payoff. It's not exactly the best executed EU work...

IMO. ;)

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Actually I read RP many years before I read the rest of the NJO and I thought it help up pretty well. Of course this was also the first book, at least for me, to pick up what happened with Anakin after TPM so that made it interesting. Not a favourite in any way, but not just a preface to NJO either.

9. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I agree with ObiAnne. RP isn't one of the best books, but I'd prefer it to a NJO novel any day. Then again, I'm an Anakin and Obi-Wan junkie.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Personally, having never read RP, I never felt like I was missing anything, especially after the virtual summary in Traitor, which doesn't bode very well for RP's intended function as an NJO prelude.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I enjoyed RP. I'm not sure I would have placed it on my top 100, but I always enjoyed it.

I'm surprised, though, that there aren't more people going, "Battlefront II? What the hell?"

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Some of those entries are a lot lower than I would have expected. Makes me wonder what the rest of the list is going to look like....

Oh, and before I forget:

Battlefront II? What the hell?

13. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

15. hellacrazyjedi

hellacrazyjedi Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 29, 2007
    Post the whole list please, is there really any point to space it out over the week?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes- it gives us a chance to discuss the individual titles and their placement. If we posted the whole list all at once, people will just focus discussion on the top 10 and a few other titles, and the rest will be lost amongst all that as white noise.

For example, do you think the CT or RP would have gotten even the amount of the comments they've already received had we posted the whole list? Not a chance.

17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Here's today's chunk of the list:

85. (tie) Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War - Redemption not the highest-scoring Tales of the Jedi entry? No, I didn't expect it either.

85. (tie) Republic: The Siege of Saleucami - The culmination of Quinlan Vos's Clone Wars arc, this story sees him face his demons and overcome them. For good this time, right?

85. (tie) Of Possible Futures: The Tale of Zuckuss and 4-LOM - This Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story fleshed out this odd pair and showed them gain a conscience.

85. (tie) The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy - Voters liked this trilogy's take on the unstoppable Boba Fett . . . and they liked the word "Kuat" even more.

85. (tie) The New Jedi Order: Balance Point - Ben Skywalker: brought to you by this book. The first of many NJO entries on the list.

79. (tie) Union - Luke and Mara's wedding will forever be remembered as a work showing the rare happy moments in which the heroes take time off from the battles against the Imperials, relax, and get attacked by a bunch of celebrity-lookalike Imperials.

79. (tie) Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - Create your own Jedi, study under Kyle Katarn, ride a swoop, kick ancient Sith spirit butt . . . what's not to love?

79. (tie) The Lando Calrissian Adventures - Everyone loves reading about Lando.

79. (tie) Legacy: Ready to Die - Roan Fel's badassery knows no bounds, and this is the issue that drove it home.

79. (tie) X-wing Rogue Squadron: In the Empire's Service - The introduction of another Fel, In the Empire's Service also saw the beginning of the fan-favorite Rise of Isard arc.

79. (tie) X-wing Rogue Squadron: The Making of Baron Fel - The life story of Soontir Fel, this background issue gave us a real feel for the Empire's greatest starfighter ace. One word: awesome.

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    the phrase "the CT" really confused me for a minute there...

I don't think I've voted for any of those... least of all Battlefront II. What the hell? :p

19. _Erasmus_

_Erasmus_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 2, 2007
    Too be honest, some of these are good, and I appreciate that you're trying to generate discussion, but it won't get interesting till we get down to the top 20.

Unless RotS is spotted at 60 or something.

20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    But really, Battlefront II? What the hell? Thought that would be higher. Never imagined Rogue Planet outdoing it.

I'm actually surprised that the Bounty Hunter Wars made the list at all. I'd always gotten the impression that that wasn't well received by fans.

21. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Call me insane, but I rather liked the Journal of the 501st.:)

22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Colour me shocked, too.

But pleased. :)

Also, Battlefront II kinda isn't totally shocking, since it has several battles that have since been integrated into the broader EU, like the Kamino Uprising and the Hammertong bizzo on Saleucami.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Besides the sub-par voice acting, Rosh Penin and rubbish plot? :p

I hated Jedi Academy. Bring back Jedi Knight! Bring back Live Action Kyle!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sorry, Live Action Kyle is unavailable at the moment, you'll have to make do with Superior Animated Kyle.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/c7/Kylekatarn-pre-talay.jpg]

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I changed me mind: Battlefront II should have been above Bounty Hunter Wars. Wait, my stick figure drawings in philosophy class should be above BHW [face_sick]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.