main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

30 Years of Expanding the Universe, A Jedi Council event: The Top 100 EU Works RESULTS

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Uli, you sadden me. I thought you had taste. :(

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I also expressed the opinion that the RotS novel shouldn't have been allowed. ;)

What you've quoted has little to do with my taste and everything to do with everyone else's....

That said, you know how much I liked PoD. :p

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I also agree with this statement.

However, being better then a PT film is a LONG way from being the supreme piece of the expanded universe.

Just because we fall over ourselves praising the vast disparity between the awesome of the book to the malaise of the film, we should NOT allow that space to say "well this has to be the best EU, since it's so much better then the film on which it's based."

What this means, in a way NO ONE is considering...is that there are more fans who put the PT in a pre-eminent spot these days. Because to say "well if ROTS novel is so superior to ROTS film, it must be the supreme EU...then logic dictates ROTS film is on par or superior to the other films, OT included. Otherwise, where are the rest of the novelizations on this list? For ROTS novelization to place and the other film's novels not to even rank indicates a passion for this PT piece beyond any consideration of the other films. And since everyone cries out how much ROTS novel is superior to the film...there are in essence saying the ultimate piece of Star Wars lore, film or otherwise, is this book.

Are people really wanting to say that with this vote?

4. IcePirate

IcePirate Jedi Master star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    i must have missed it... i looked and looked.

dark forces 2 (jk1), 3(jk2jo), & 4(jk3ja) are on the list.

where's dark forces 1? where's the 1996 Codies Excellence in Software winner for Best Action/Arcade Software Program? PC Data's Best CD-ROM Seller? "The 11th best-selling computer game between 1993 and 1999". GMR Magazine's third best Star Wars game of all time. The game that was so popular that it gave lfl the first idea to make video/computer games part of canon.

did i just continually miss it? if so, what number was it?

5. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    It sucks so much that Jedi Academy beat Dark Forces. :(

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Jedimarine, I think what it actually says is, it reinforces the idea that the PT was lousily executed and that the ROTS novel is more how everyone WANTED the PT to be than the kiddie movies we got.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's also semi fitting that arguably the best OT-adaptation (the Radio Drama) bookends the list with the best PT-adaptation.

Personally, I think there's enough original content in ROTS to warrant it's inclusion, especially when even scenes from the movie are presented in astonishingly different ways. When I first read the ROTS prologue, I was literally shaking from emotion, and later was completely as surprised as Dooku was when Obi and Anakin caught him off guard and turned the tide of the duel- despite knowibng how it would end from having seen the movie. The original content revolving Anakin's need for mastership was brilliant EU work at it's finest- making absolute sense of a passing film element, and the otehr associated pressures built upon the framework of the film in original ways, which all combined with other actual EU references, adds up to a work that is, IMO, an undeniable EU work that accomplished things no other book I've ever read has done to me.

But to those who feel novelizations shouldn't have counted, then, by that consideration, TTT was still the top wholly-original work on the list.

As to why we didn't see the other novelizations on the list, well, with exception to ROTJ, none of them really go into as much depth and detail as ROTS did, and generally come across as more typical movie novelizations.

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    But that's just it...are we making a fair assessment with this list if that desire is what is guiding the decision.

"I want everyone to know that I think ROTS novelization is WAY better then the film by making it the ultimate EU novel."

Do we "hate" the ROTS film that much as a community?

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I didn't vote, but I'd have put the RotS novel high as well. It wouldn't be a "political" choice because I don't bear GL any illwill. I just think the RotS novel comes closest to getting more of the fantasy style that the EU should have rather than the military sci-fi style that Zahn brought to the EU. If it was political, I think you're right it shouldn't number 1 but, if it was an actual opinion I see nothing wrong with it.

The Thrawn Trilogy is the most significant regardless of this poll anyway.

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    If you haven't, please try to go to the EUC and participate in those 30 Years threads too, the current one is dealing with Top 20 EU characters and we need more votes! Thanks!

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Nope. I wanted to say...

1) The Dooku scenes are awesme.

2) The battle between Sidious and Yoda was so simple and yet so astonishingly effective

3) The Expanded Universe, combined with the film script, combined with Stover, made this into an incredible novel.

I don't see it as 'we hate George' or the appallingly bad novelisations of AotC or TPM would have made it into the Top 100. And none of the others did. It's simply an acknowledgement of the novel.

12. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    Either the Thrawn Trilogy was in your top 5 or it wasn't on your list at all. That probably had a lot to do with it. For me, it was coming nowhere close to the top 20. People just have such a nostalgic bias towards it that they'll vote it to the top no matter what. In my mind, there is no way that TTT could be made into a film trilogy that would compare with the OT or even the PT (even with all the flack it takes). If TTT came out today, it would probably be the most derided work out there. A clone Luke? A prescient smurf? A redheaded mercenary who upstages Luke at every turn? Sorry, but there's no way those things would fly. I appreciate the story for how it rejuvenated the EU, but come on. It wasn't that good.

13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Well, about 80% of them or so would have to abstain on grounds of not having read the EU, for starters...

TTT would have been higher on my list if A) C'boath wasn't an irritating villain and B) If Mara hadn't been such a clever clogs. It also suffers from a lot of retroactive eyebrow raisers, but that's not really Zahn's fault.

14. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Please prove me wrong rather than resort to personal attacks. The book suffered from a major technical issue and therefore should not be number one.

Geez, the Stover affection in this place has gotten even worse that people are willing to overlook the ending of the RotS novel.

15. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    It would be very interesting to see this poll done in Fan fic where the ratio of Male/Female is the inverse of Lit. The results would be quite different that's for sure.

16. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Say what? How is that even close to logical? Let me get this straight: the fact that this novel was well-received but the other novelisations weren't listed automatically means... that the entirety of people's reactions must be because it was a movie novelisation!

Oh, wait. No. Actually, that's the exact opposite of what logic would imply: that, despite its being a novelisation, people had an extremely high regard for what Stover accomplished in the novel - that is, an astoundingly brilliant novel that stands equally well on its own (something almost never heard of for novelisations). Revenge of the Sith was a pretty good movie. Revenge of the Sith was a great book.

rogue_wookiee, consider that your opinion being that there was a significant pacing issue does not make it so. I saw a minor pacing issue, one taht did not overwhelm the sheer artistry of the work as a whole.

Also, I believe the term you used to describe Stover fanboyishness with has been disallowed. :)

- Keralys

17. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I'm more than happy to accept that my sense that it was rushed is not universal. But the page count isn't my opinion nor is the fact that the amount of detail and the depth we get into the character's heads is disproportionate throughout the novel. ;)

And the mods are more than welcome to edit my posts if something is offensive.

18. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    The length of fight scenes are also very disproportionate throughout the entire novel as well. (see Yoda vs. Sidious)

Oh, wait - that was the "artistry" of the novel. :eek:

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You're just upset Republic Commando didn't make number one, aren't you?

20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    No real suprises in the top 10 (from general consensus...call me a heretic, but I don't think I've read any of the new stuff since Survivor's Quest or so) except the Hand of Thrawn duology. Vision of the Future was pretty good, but Specter of the Past seemed to drag. I think that its sad that Dark Forces didn't make the top 100 but Jedi Academy did. Academy had much improved graphics, etc, but the plot is not nearly as cool as Dark Forces. Oh well.

21. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Havac, you know me way too well.

22. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    I think you guys are a bit nuts (Seriously, SOTE? One of the most useless releases of the Bantam era? In the top 20?) but I blogged it anyway. ;)

23. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Never underestimate the Power of Nostalgia.

24. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    ::snort::

Fanboys. :mad:

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dunc: Vader hater! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.