main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

4-8-15-16-23-42: FFUK Discussion of 'Lost'

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Mustafar_66, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Well, as you may know, 'Lost' aired for the first time tonight. In a word: Amazing. In two: Bloody amazing! I've already got favourite characts (Charlie, Hurley and Sayid) and I loved every moment of it. What did everyone else think?
    (People watching the following episodes on E4, please black out any spoilers)

2. mvwg3003

mvwg3003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    [Homer] Doh! [/Homer]

I meant to watch it. Sayid is played be Naveen Andrews isn't he? He's a good actor.

Oh well, just have to hope I can catch up next week. [face_not_talking]

3. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I saw some of the cast at comic con it looks exciting and you can quite get into it but what makes it so special is there will be a dramatic twist to it what makes it so great.

4. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Anyone got any theories on the creature in the jungle?

5. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I missed the first then minutes, but I thought it was really good.

Liked the 16 year transmission thing at the end, really made them feel that they were lost and about to be eaten. Sets up the series very nicely.

Its interesting to note that there were better, more interesting and likeable characters in one episode of Lost than there has been in all the British drama TV series over the last 10 years.

I hate British drama, its so long (average episode of some dyre Sunday night ITV drama being 4 hours), dull and full of ugly people.

I like my TV to be glossy, good looking and fun. Something they just don't do in this country.

6. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
  7. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Sorry, are you guys just getting the first episodes?!

8. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I was waiting for it to come on and had the volume off as I was reading, dozed off lol, but caught at least the last 30 mins of episode 1. Seen up to and including Episode 3 now, and it looks great. I love a good mystery.

### Not spoilers really as conjecture and using the C4 Lost website interactive flash movie, but Spoiler warning anyways

My bro made the comment straight after the first show - the thing in the jungle sounded "mechanical". We now know that there are at least polar bears stranded on the island too, in a climate too warm for them.

If you check the main website -

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/L/lost/index.html

and then visit the "Lost: Untold Section" there are several details that can be gleamed from the interactive Flash movie that opens. Look for things to click on there and you'll see -

[*] There are news reports talkng about the loss of the plane in what they are calling the "Fiji Triangle" - so I am guessing this is going to turn into a Bermuda triangle" situation - or is that something to lead us astray? But it semi-explains the polar bear - something is dragging different "groups" to the island - the plane, the polar bear, etc.

[*] Deep into the interactive flash movie, there is a book in a study that takes you to here -- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590180542/qid=1123682394/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-0114364-1203302?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 (sorry, you'll have to copy and paste, damn thing is too long :( )

"Airplane Crashes (Man Made Disasters)" - a book aimed at kids btw.

[*] A newspaper article appears at one point, indicating that Jack may have operated under the influence of alcohol, and his patient died. It says "cleared of all charges" but then the newspaper clipping says the case was brought forward by one of his medical staff.

A female voiceover says "bring your father home Jack" "Where is he?" "Australia"

After messing around on the interactive flash movie, I think that part of the site is aimed at giving hints about Jack, his relationship with his father (a stern man it seems - failure is not acceptable) and maybe Jack's inner demon - drinking and failure. There is some strange symbology like a pink rabbit suit, but I am not sure what is a red herring and what is not. There is a part where you take the choice of two pills - black and white, and the white path is saying unlocked in one days time. The black path reveals lots of little snippets that I wrote above. I'd check it out yourself, but I am think the crash was no natural incidental disaster - they are meant to be on that island.

In the bio sections for the main page, there are several entries that mention characters having "special powers" -

About Walt Lloyd (the kid who's dog goes missing) - "In the aftermath of the crash, Walt seems more troubled by the absence of his pet dog, Vincent, than anything else. But is there more to this seemingly innocent 10-year-old than meets the eye?

Why was his step-father so anxious for Michael to take custody of Walt? And why do strange 'things' tend to happen around him, especially when he's angry or upset?"

ABout John Locke (the bald fella who chats to the kid and makes the whistle that calls the dog back) - "But does he really have a mystical connection with the island - and what is the nature of his previous association with Hurley?

And how could a plane crash somehow restore the ability to walk in someone who has been paraplegic for the last four years?"

Hugo Hurley Reyes (big kid with funky hair who hates blood) - "And then there's the matter of his luck. Good or bad, he seems to have an awful lot of it..."

Claire Littleton - "All mothers think their babies are special. But Claire has been given good reason to believe her child will be more 'special' than most..."

So is the island bringing in "gifted" people - psychic? So is this another alien abduction scenario or something else?

In the bios, it hints that several

9. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Do we know for sure that everyone we've seen was on the 'plane?

10. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    almost all teh characters have secrets. u think you knwo a character... think again

11. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    One glaring error that I spotted though is to do with the polar bear. It was white. Polar Bears aren't white unless they're in an artic climate. Their fur isn't white at all, but translucent. It uses the colour of the surroundings to disguise itself (Like a chameleon). So, if a Polar Bear ever did end up in a forest-like environment, it would be green or brown, not white.

Just thought I'd post that :p

12. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I really enjoyed Lost very good I've been waiting for a new show that I could sink my teeth into I've got to say it's weird were have they crashed Jurassic Park I can't wait to find out what's going on.

13. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    So what's with the white ones I've seen in zoos? :p

14. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I've been trying to wrap my head around these numbers and I can't get it. None of them conect. Usually with numbers, they have something mathmatically in common. Take the number 347; 3+4=7, 7-3=4, 7-3=4 etc, but these numbers don't connect at all.

15. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I watched it but was prepared to be let down as every one raved about desperate housewives and that was a load of crap. But I will be watching Lost, it made me jump a couple of times tho cause I'm a wuss.

16. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Did anyone else think that the noises in the jungle sounded like the Tripods from War of the Worlds?

17. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

The "White" ones you see in the zoo are actually more of a dirty grey (reflected light from rocks) anytime they are actually white is when they have a fake white background behind them.

I thought the show was very good though and I'm looking forwards to seeing how it all pans out.

18. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I mised Lost last night.

Good job E4 is repeating it on Sunday night.

19. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003

Yeah, I like Charlie too. He had some pretty good lines, plus he's British. Also, did you notice that he was about to flush his drugs when the plane started going down. He's got to give them up sooner or later. Dominic Monahagn was pretty good, acting wise. Some people might think I'm just saying that because I'm a huge LOTR fan, but I genuinely mean it.

I like Claire(the pregnant girl) too. Though I was reading a review of the episode in one of the papers today and although what most of the person wrote was kinda rubbish they raised a good point. If Claire is eight months pregnant, why was she allowed on the plane?

Also there's more to Sawyer(guy who tried to beat up Sayid) than meets the eye definately. Though you can certainly say that about pretty much all the characters.

But what is with the numbers 4-8-15-16-23-42? I keep asking and nobody has given me an answer.

In short I really want to see the episodes again and I think that if people gave this show a chance it could really be a hit.

20. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    I didn't really enjoy the show, thought it was a bit silly. WTH could the creature be? What knocks over trees? A dinosaur? Give me a break!

21. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    They were talking about it on GMTV (why the hell did I like that programme?) and they said:
    "It's a bit of everything really; a bit of humour, a bit of horror, a bit of fantasy" yet they fail to mention it's actual genre: Sci-Fi. God I hate GMTV.

22. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    Ive seen teh first 6 eps, However I prefere to watch a show all In one go (so to speak.) so I wont watch another episode Untill the DVD is released in america in october

23. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    That sounds like a good idea orn-free-tada.

But don't you go telling us spoilers now. [face_shame_on_you]

24. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    I promise I wont. I kept a spoiler from the FFUK for half blood prince for about a week before it was released. I dont want to ruin peoples fun.

25. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    That monster in the jungle sure as hell ain't organic. I think it's definately a machine. The question is, who built it?[face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.