main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga 4K HDR Movies on Disney+

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by yodaman_reborn, Nov 16, 2019.

1. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    So I haven’t seen this talked about surprisingly but Disney+ has all the Star Wars film in 4K HDR. I’m just trying to get a good look at these. So far they look great but this gives me a good excuse to watch all the films again. Anyone else get a chance to review these yet? I’m watching on my 2018 LG OLED.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not yet but I’m going to be marathoning them in chronological order and I look forward to it.

3. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    So far, I've watched ROTJ and ROTS on Disney+. And I love the quality, even on my computer.

Deliveranze likes this.
  4. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I can't wait to check them out when I begin my Marathon for TROS coming up soon!

5. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    It'd be nice if there were some comparison shots out there so we could see how big the difference is. I know that they fixed the majority, if not all, of the lightsaber color errors in the OT.

6. yodaman_reborn

Feb 7, 2009
    So I watched TPM yesterday. The HDR definitely gives it more brightness and contrast compared to the Blu Ray. The colors just pop. I’m not a videophile so I’m not sensitive to digital noise reduction (DNR) but I watched some reviews how there was some slight excess of it for the films. I definitely feel it was a big upgrade from the Blu Ray.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Do we know if the DNR for episode 1 is supposed to be gone for the 4k version? That is really going to be interesting to see. Im also really interested to see how episode 2 and 3 look on 4k after all the talk and controversy surrounding the early digital cameras used on those movies.

8. yodaman_reborn

Feb 7, 2009
    From the youtube review I watched it seems there was still some DNR for TPM. For AOTC and ROTS, because they were made in 2K, there's no way to increase their resolution. However, for picture quality purposes, contrast is far more important than resolution and therefore the use of HDR and it's greater contrast will be the most important upgrade factor for those two films I would think.

rpeugh likes this.
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    My family and I are watching all the films before TROS comes out. I can't wait to see them in 4k, especially the PT, ST, and Rogue.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Don't have the equipment for 4K yet, but I started ROTJ last night just to see. Picture quality looks just as good as my blu-rays! Though I will still watch them on blu-ray cos I don't have the right setup to be able to play Disney + Thru my surround sound system. So, the blu-rays will prevail for now, simply due to watching it in 5.1.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  11. AnakinTheChosenOne

AnakinTheChosenOne Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2019
    How does AOTC and ROTS look? I don't have anything 4K yet.

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've sort of watched the "Maclunky!" shot in ANH a few times and the colours look really great in UHD. Although on Disney+ Canada the crawl for ANH is currently in French. But I think I'll watch the 4K versions of Disney+ movies before Rise of Skywalker (Solo and Last Jedi I have digital download redeems/blu rays). Last Jedi will hit Disney+ in 4K in December but after Christmas.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I've watched ROTS and it looks amazing in 4k. Like "Jesus, how is this movie almost 15 years old" amazing.

14. AnakinTheChosenOne

AnakinTheChosenOne Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2019
    Oh awesome, I hope AOTC looks good too!

Deliveranze likes this.
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Whatever DNR exists in TPM, it's exactly the same as in the Blu-ray. The master is unchanged, except for the aspect ratio (cropped, compared to the current Blu-ray) and HDR.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Anyone notice if the blue tint and green tint from the 2011 versions of AOTC and ROTS have been removed? That has been a minor annoyance for a bit

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    ROTS never had a teal tint. AOTC did. From the screencaps I've seen, it's slightly subdued but any difference is barely noticeable.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019