main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 4K UHD OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sith_rhino, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    KyleKartan and DARTH_BELO like this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I also appreciate you taking the time to lay this out.

I have one question: So, I have the 2011 blu rays. You mention there (it seems) that the 2019 blu rays are better? I mean, I'm pretty happy with how the blu ray versions look, apart from a few blemishes here and there. But Would you recommend I get the OT 2019 blu ray versions (I'm assuming these are not 4k)? Would they be that much different, where it would be worth replacing my 2011 blu rays with those? (I'm thinking particularly in terms of the lightsaber effects, as I mentioned in my previous post).

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The 2011 Blu-rays use the HD master developed for the 2004 DVD release. It has some minor improvements when compared with the 2004 DVD, but the "source" is the same.

The 2019 Blu-rays are the 2011 versions. All DVDs and Blu-rays released between 2011 and 2019 have that version.

The 2020 4K/Blu-ray/DVD releases are the ones that use the new 4K master that was made for the planned 3D release. These new masters have a new color timing, framing and generally better picture quality.

Here are some comparisons between the two:

A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    You’re welcome. Glad to help. I love this stuff!

It’s really a matter of opinion. Personally I really like the new BluRays because the movies look the most like they did on film. And yes they have the most consistent special effects and picture quality.

Like @Alexrd said - those are available with the 4K discs as the included BluRay. The 2019 BluRay only release are still the 2011 versions. (Thanks for that reminder, I forget. That’s confusing isn’t it?)

@DARTH_BELO you can watch the new versions of all 6 Lucas Star Wars movies on Disney+ as a preview to decide for yourself before buying.

The best way know what these look like is watch them.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I haven't seen the 2020 versions of the film, so I'm only referring to the screencaps I've seen, but I really don't like the new/restored colors. Way too yellow/pale. Yes, I'm aware that the colors were changed for the 2004 DVDs, but I have to admit I like them.
    So for now, I'm perfectly happy with the 2011 BluRays.
    (And besides, I have no doubt that in a few years they'll find a way to create even better versions, and we'll have to buy them again lol)

6. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Makes sense now. So it sounds like the included blu-ray disc versions of the 2019 4k disc releases are what you were referring to. I actually did use the Disney+ versions as comparisons, and I am kind of tied. Parts of it I think look way better than the 2011 blu rays, and other parts seem kind of...dull and flat in comparison, color-wise. I guess I just have to decide which one I want to stick with as my "final choice." I guess I just wondered if it would look any different when viewing it thru an actual 4k tv, or if it would even make that much difference.

Thanks.

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I think you’d see a difference with 4K.

Besides resolution, the real improvement with 4k is the movies have HDR (High Dynamic Range) color info. So you get more color info and wider latitude for brightness.

Really it’s all about personal preference. The choice right is what you like most.

Can I ask in general what kind of TV you have, like resolution, screen size, type of display?

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Believe it or not, I actually have a THX certified Panasonic 50" (get this) 1080p PLASMA flatscreen.

I know plasma isn't technically "mainstream cool" anymore, but honestly, I feel that a plasma screen is much better for movies in particular-which is mainly what I watch. More consistent color definition and action scenes look much smoother. Some of the blu rays I have from even years ago still look incredible on there.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    That TV sounds amazing. Plasma is fantastic. Such nice deep blacks. Very film like. One thing that might be helpful for you to get the most out of your tv is a calibration BluRay.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  10. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Oh I envy you. I have a 720p Samsung Plasma which I think is still pretty dam good but yours is better. My understanding is the only thing better than plasma today is OLED.

11. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Disappointing releases. DNR’d to hell and back, and still the dreaded 1997/2004/11 versions with the needless CGI junk - and then some (Maclunkey) - for the 2019 versions.

Garbage. The only improvement being, the much more natural - if muted colour grading.

The original trilogy has never had the home video release it truly deserves. Extremely frustrating.

12. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I thought about getting one of those (I have a similar CD for my surround sound system and it's worked great). But there is a setting on the TV itself which is auto-programmed to all the "preferred THX settings," where if I want to watch something exactly how it was intended I can just use that setting. I used to use that, but I'm not using that now, as I've now made a custom setting based on my own personal preferences, using certain blu-rays (ANH, LOTR return of the king, Batman vs Superman and Half Blood Prince) as a "template."

I wonder if this calibration is the same thing or not?

Interesting to know that plasma isn't looked down upon nowadays. Afterall, my tv IS about 10 years old! Perhaps it is to general mainstream, that don't really care about picture quality...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  13. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Wow. Fascinating. Thanks for these links!

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    A calibration disc takes the personal preference out of it. It’s a series of charts and tests to standardize your TV’s picture and audio. Get the color, brightness, and contrast of your tv calibrated to the standards all tv shows and movies are mastered for. Let’s us see content as it is meant to look.

Most TVs are adjusted too bright. Store settings, which some TVs come set to out of the box, are purposely over saturated and bright to grab attention in a store.

The human eye automatically balances for brightness and color. That’s what makes eyeballing a calibration so difficult. Switching between two images isn’t actually the best way to calibrate a TV because our perception is fluid.

Typically the end result result of a calibrated TV is a less bright and less vibrant image that retains much more subtlety, range, and detail. It’s also much more natural. In a less bodacious image you’ll be able to see the difference in tones in the darkest blacks and the brightest whites. And our eyes adjust so once we are used to this the image, the picture will be just as vibrant and bright as before. Only now it will have even more to it.

it’s not nessasry, but I figure if I’m going to spend a lot of money on a great TV why not get the most out of it by picking up a $30 calibration bluray.

One test I really like is for sync sound.

Count Yubnub and DARTH_BELO like this.
  15. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    It's been my experience that streamed 4K movies do not look as good as 4K DVD's, so perhaps that is why you weren't too impressed with the sharpness?

16. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, the sharpness seemed good-just not much more improved from the Blu-ray versions. I've never actually watched the entire films on Disney+ though, just clips here and there for comparison.

As it is, I managed to find the releases of the OT 4K versions recently-and I ordered them for myself. I don't have a 4K TV or player so I can't use those discs yet, but as @Alexrd and @Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid have mentioned, I will be able to see those new transfers on the blu ray discs in that release-I'm not sure if I will like it better but since I got all three of them for like $20 it won't be a huge loss if I don't like them as much. I guess we'll see once I get them!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Awesome. That’s a great price. How couldn’t you pick them up at that price?

I’m rewatching the new BluRays myself right now and really enjoying it. The prequels are also a nice upgrade from 2011 - thou less apparent compared to the OT. I’m wondering if the 2020 releases are really optimized for the BluRays and the 4K discs saw less attention. I don’t know.

Please let us know what you think of the new discs. And try to have fun watching them as movies, as entertainment. Looking forward to your thoughts on what you see. Have fun. :)

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I bought them used. I figured if i'm just trying them out, no harm no foul that way (plus I've found even used blu rays can still work great). Thanks-I will post back with my impressions, whenever I've gotten a chance to watch them all!

19. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I wish I had two 4K TV's so I could do a side by side comparison! Oh well, after I win the lottery.

20. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Okay...SO, I just finished watching ESB and ROTJ. (I didn't get to ANH yet but I couldn't wait to talk about it-maybe I'll post on that later). All I have to say is:

OMG!

I mean, everything we've talked about on here doesn't even do it justice-Those films are beautiful now! And these are just the Blu-ray versions of the 4K release! And I just gotta say, don't go by the Disney+ streaming versions as an example, cos these discs put those to shame!

When I put in ESB, right from the opening crawl I noticed how much more these 2020 versions had been improved! Honestly it's like watching a newly made film. The blacks are deeper, which especially serve outer space sequences well-makes the starfield sharper and more vibrant, and adds a sense of depth to outer space shots. The color purity of everything is incredible: whites are pure, skin tone is realistic, and as you mentioned before, this improvement in color and clarity really makes special effects-both original AND special edition-blend much better in the picture! Hoth is white now, not blue. The asteroid field looks much more distinct and natural. Dagobah looks amazing-like a real swamp! There are even minor lighting/coloration fixes (like some in Cloud City) that are now fixed. Darth Vader's lightsaber is crimson now, no longer pink. Luke's lightsaber is a bit of a light shade of blue and fuzzy for my taste, but I've found it's also a question of how one has their TV settings. I turned the color up abit, and then it glowed vivid blue.

As for ROTJ, the improvement is the same: desert sequences look like a real desert now. Endor looks more natural. Explosions look more realistic, and space sequences look beautiful. The big space battle-the entire thing-is a joy to behold, it really does look that much better! Luke's green lightsaber has more of a natural green glow, no longer that weird green color bubble around the core-and Darth Vader's is no longer pink. I agree that with this 4K version, ROTJ looks like it was only filmed just like 10 years ago! Jabba's palace does look a little overly dark and dull in places...but hardly a dealbreaker! And in both films-though I didn't expect it would be possible-the picture has so much more detail, there are certain little details I can clearly see now that I never could before (like the windows on Jabba's palace when 3PO and R2 are walking towards it in the beginning of ROTJ).

That all would be amazing enough-but the sound! The (presumed) new surround mixes of these films are incredible! Right from the beginning you can tell, the score is deeper, brighter and seems to have more space in the mix (spread out more across the surround channels). Also there seems to maybe be more of a reverb effect, where the score now sounds more like it was recorded in a concert hall, rather than a library conference room. Sound effects have a little more power in the low range-although not much, background sounds come thru so much more clearly in both films-there are some little sounds I hadn't even noticed in previous versions. Also sound effects in the rear surround channels seem mixed more delicately and don't overwhelm the signal, causing feedback in the speakers like before.

Honestly, THIS is what the 2011 blu-rays SHOULD have been. I know I'm doing a lot of gushing here, but I've never been so happy with how these films have looked and sounded. Honestly, the OT now finally matches seamlessly up to all the other SW films, in terms of coloring and picture quality!

I'm looking forward to seeing how much better ANH looks-though that one did have more limitations, if these two are anything to go by, it should look/sound great. I'll let ya'll know what I think.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

That is awesome! So glad you are enjoying the all new rewatch!! I felt the same way. I’ve read your post three times now. Great review. Looking forward to reading what you think of A New Hope. Enjoy!

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  22. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I say the 2019 BRs are an upgrade over the 2011 ones, yes. The 4K releases of the OT have a little too much DNR and some other digital muckery but they have improved detail and the sound is great. The 4K's are upgrades over the blu-rays but I feel as whole we should have got better transfers than we did.

23. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Okay, sooooo….A New Hope.

Although I will say that this 4K version (Blu-ray disc of the release) is a vast improvement on all previous versions, though this enhanced format and new transfer did reveal some limitations, mostly in the sound.

Visually, all the improvements are the same as the others, though it doesn't look as pristine (for obvious production quality-related reasons): the blacks are deeper, making the starfield look more vibrant, and eliminates matte boxes around ships. The whites are purer, so the Tantive IV looks white now-not grey. Laser blasts, skin tone, desert sequences, etc. all look more natural, and Luke's lightsaber on the falcon is finally blue. Colors no longer bleed, which is nice as well. There are a few scenes here and there where the improvement makes the film look somewhat dated, like the cantina sequences involving Han for example.

As far as sound quality, I was delighted to see how vibrant the score sounded-brighter, deeper, better balanced and given more space to breathe in the mix (spread wider across the surround channels). I've never heard the ANH score sound so beautiful and powerful. The sound effects also are a little improved-they seem to have more punch and clarity as well. The only thing I was slightly disappointed with was that the dialogue track sounds somewhat muffled in many spots as if the treble end of the eq was turned way down. I'm sad to say that I actually thought the dialogue track specifically actually sounded clearer on the 2011 Blu-ray version. Also, there are certain background "white noise" type sounds which IMO came thru more clearly in the 2011 blu rays as well (examples are the background noise in the cantina when Han is talking to Obi-Wan and Luke, certain background noises in the mountain region on Tattooine, and white noises on the Death Star, etc.). These are sounds that came subtly thru the rear surround channels that really added texture to the scene. I turned the volume up as high as I would ever watch the film, but still could hardly hear them. But I will say, the improvements in the score and the fact that main sound effects seem spread wider across the channels (instead of all right in the front) are a decent tradeoff to this. Suffice it to say the sound mix in this version of ANH is great, but it's not as good as it could've sounded.

So I feel like after all my gushing on ESB and ROTJ I'm really painting a bleak picture of ANH. I don't mean to. The more natural color grading, increased sharpness of the image, and overall improvement in picture quality make this version of ANH the best I've ever seen, and matches up that much more closely to the visual quality of all the other SW films. I just personally feel ESB and ROTJ benefitted more from this new transfer, and it makes sense-as they were done with better production methods and budget. Honestly I'd say ESB wins the golden goose for "most improved," with this 4K transfer.

Ultimately, I'm quite happy I got these 4K versions.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Thanks Darth_Belo for the insightful and nuanced review.

The limitations in technology for recording and mixing Star Wars caused the new technology used for Empire and Jedi to be invented. A New Hope is never going to sound as good as the two sequels.

I think some of the extra sound effects you mention might have been added to the 2011 Blu-ray to cover over quality issues with other audio. There were some lines of dialogue which used to sound extremely hissy. And a lot of out of sync dialogue. That seems to almost all be gone in these newest blu-rays.

For my ear this is the most consistent the film has ever sounded.

Count Yubnub and DARTH_BELO like this.
  25. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    This is fair - its the best they've ever looked for home so thats a plus. I still think they mucked with them a little to much regarding DNR and whatever but Im also glad I got them. Hell, I bought the set on release day. :)

DARTH_BELO likes this.