main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 4K UHD OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sith_rhino, Jan 3, 2021.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Re: the highlighted, interesting. I didn't know that those sounds were added in. I just thought they were original sounds that were made more audible with the 2011 release surround remix.

I will agree that the sound is more consistent overall. And like I mentioned there are great improvements in the sound effects and especially the score (which is what really shines in the remix IMO). My only disappointment was specifically with the dialogue track, coming out of the front speaker. The sound of the actors' voices (anything other than overdubs, like C3PO) seem incredibly muffled. 'S's and 'T's and 'CH's are lacking quite a bit of sibilance in many scenes. I don't remember this being as much of an issue in the 2011 blu rays. Honestly, it doesn't occur across the whole film-it's mainly just most of the dialogue in scenes on Tattooine and in the garbage compactor. Just about everything after the Falcon leaves Mos Eisley actually sounds fine. Maybe it's just me being picky...

Ultimately I agree with you though-when taken as a whole, IMO this new sound mix is very well balanced and sounds great.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think 4K would be the format that would finally see the release of the original theatrical editions since the Disney buyout happened in the previous format generation but alas it appears that may not be the case. Disney is far from being the best at home video releases and Lucasfilm may be tied to the wishes of Lucas in regards to the original editions. I will probably own the current 4K editions at some point anyways because I am a sucker who owns the 1980s, 95, 97 VHS...as well as the laserdisc trilogy release, the 2004 and 2006 DVDs and the 2011 Blu-Rays. I will just buy Star Wars forever.

3. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Itd be nice but I dont think it'll happen. Im pretty sure George still controls the UOT and its distribution. Disney isnt real keen on physical media either these days. So, maybe.... but I dunno.....

4. Martin Hoffmann

Martin Hoffmann Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2020
    Do the special effects of the original trilogy still look good in 4k?

5. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I would say they actually look better! I know it was mentioned in passing before-but I feel the effects-including the SE effects as well-blend more seamlessly in the 4K transfer than before. The color grading is more consistent between the CG and the rest of the shot. Although not perfect, the lightsaber effects do look much better in this transfer. Also, there are certain flaws in the past like matte boxes that could be visible around the TIE fighters in ANH or the far off wide shot of the death star II against the Endor moon behind it in ROTJ that no longer exist. The matte paintings blend much better in the rest of the scene. An example of this is the matte painting of the Falcon in ROTJ when Han and Lando are talking in front of it about Lando not damaging it, or the shot in ROTJ of Luke's X-Wing parked by Yoda's hut on Dagobah. I've always felt that those particular shots looks quite fake-but now it looks much better.

So the much less wordy answer to your question is: Yes!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  6. Martin Hoffmann

Nov 14, 2020
    Thanks for your answer. :)

What do the scenes with the speeder bikes look like in 4k?

The speeder bike scenes in 1080p didn't look so good on Blu-Ray in my opinion …

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    StampidHD280pro and DARTH_BELO like this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Well first of all, all of the endor shots have a much more natural color grading-much more browns are present than just vivid greens (like the 2011 blu rays), making it feel grittier and more real. The speeder chase is no exception. As far as the actual quality of the effects with the speeders, in my opinion they are about the same. But then again I didn't feel the 2011 version for the chase scene looked that bad, so I guess it's up to your personal preference really.

Martin Hoffmann likes this.
  8. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I think the issue with a lot of the Endor scenes from the 2011 Blu-rays wasn't the color, but rather the scan being out of focus. It just looks much blurrier than the rest of the movie. Thankfully, the new versions didn't mess up the scan so those scenes look much better.

9. Martin Hoffmann

Nov 14, 2020
    Thanks for the information.

If the special effects from the original trilogy look good in 4k, I will buy the UHD versions :)

Can we buy the original trilogy "alone" or is there only a 4k-box with all 9 movies?

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I most definitely recommend getting the 4K UHD releases, at least of the OT. You can get them separately-that's what I did. If you don't have 4K UHD equipment, there are 1080p Blu-ray discs in those releases (in addition to the 4K discs) that are made from the same transfer that the 4Ks are, which are the ones I watch-as I don't have 4K equipment myself. And even on those blu-rays, ANH, ESB and ROTJ look amazing. IMO, ESB in particular is so improved it's like watching a completely new film (when comparing it to the 2011 blu rays). I mean, you would be able to notice-right from the opening scenes-how much better these new transfers are!

If you're curious about all the details of the improvements, I recommend looking back to the last page or so. I've posted some pretty detailed reactions I had, after buying and watching the OT with this new transfer.

11. Martin Hoffmann

Nov 14, 2020
    It's great that the original trilogy still looks very good in 4k. :)

12. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Uncle Owen's chenille corduroy robe really pops in 4K.

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Do you know if those blu ray versions are the same as the ones released in the Skywalker saga blu ray boxset that came out at the same time as the 4k boxset?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  14. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Unfortunately I do not know-that's a great question though...I would expect that it's possible-as the 4K versions (and the included blu-ray "downscaled" versions that I use) are all using the latest digital transfer that was done just after the 2011 blu ray set was released. IIRC, it's been mentioned that the original reason this transfer was done was cos back then they were intending to release the films in 3D (a plan long since abandoned).

I would guess that those blu rays are the latest versions available-not sure why they would use an older cut if there was a newer, better one released more recently...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, the Blu-ray discs included in the individual 4K releases are the same as those in the Skywalker Saga boxset. In Europe, those 1080p Blu-rays also got released individually and in trilogy sets.

AndyLGR likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    So, what versions of the OT are on Disney Plus right now? Assume this latest one?

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, they debuted there before being released on home video.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Thank you.

19. RogueDianoga

RogueDianoga Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2022
    I just wish they would lay off the DNR. It got more heavy and sloppy handed with each OT disc. SW had a lot of DNR but at least they pretty much kept details intact and it looked OK for what it was and making it like a digitally shot film. With ESB you started losing details and with ROTJ almost all shadows have details smeared (often less detail than the old blues in the deep shadows) and they did sloppy stuff like dropping large radius blur brushes on some frames in the Endor forest moon where you literally see a perfect circle of blur and where some redwood bark has less detail than even the DVD. And Jabba often looks weird with removing the grain, DNR like crazy, and then putting fake grain back over that. THat said, many parts of some scenes in ROTJ still have a lot more detail than ever seen before.
    The colors are a lot more realistic than on the original blu-rays.

The PT, at least they brought back some of the color and pop of the theatrical release of TPM for the UHD but it still has all the DNR as the prior home releases, but the new colors and contrast do make it much improved over the older releases. AOTC still has the DNR and altered colors but is a little better than older home releases. ROTS always had pretty decent home releases and new one is good too.

20. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The altered colors of Attack of the Clones are now my only real gripe with the current releases of Lucas’s Star Wars films, which considering their release history isn’t too bad I guess.

The OT transfers were a revelation for me though. I always had issues with the previous DVD/BD releases, but I never quite grasped the full psychological impact of the color timing until they looked like they used to again.

As for the DNR, I’m only watching on BD so maybe it’s more noticeable in 4K, but it’s never been distracting for me. But as long as a film doesn’t look like those ghastly old releases of Predator or Army of Darkness, I’m generally pretty forgiving. The Phantom Menace pushes it a little far for my taste at times, but even that is within my tolerable limits for how that particular film should look at least.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    At the time, I had to gripes with the 2011 Blu-ray of Attack of the Clones, but now I have none. The first one was the "teal tint" first seen in the 2011 Blu-ray. But I found it to be only an issue on monitors. On a properly calibrated TV, the colors do look fine and balanced. The other were the two edited sequences where the order of the shots were changed. I always though it had been a mistake when they made the new master at the time. But since the edits remained unchanged on the new 4K release, there's no doubt that the changes were intentional, so I've accepted them.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I’ve never liked the added tint, and as many times as I’ve watched Attack of the Clones since 2011, I’ve never gotten used to it. Even in videos compiling shots from the different films, the shots from Attack of the Clones always stand out to me as looking darker, greener, and just plain uglier. This is made all the worse for me because prior to 2011, Attack of the Clones was by far my favorite of the six films from a visual standpoint, and now it’s my least favorite.

But oddly, I understood immediately why Lucas reedited those two scenes, because when I first saw it in the theater, both of those moments stood out to me as being oddly edited.

For the speeder scene, I always thought the timing of the dialogue inserts versus when they were shown entering and exiting the electric energy field stretched what Lucas calls super reality to the breaking point. The new edit reduces that effect.

And with the hanger scene, I remember being slightly confused by it seeming like no time passed between Dooku leaving Geonosis and arriving at Coruscant, which the new edit breaks up. Unfortunately this creates other problems with the flow of the scene and the music, so I’m less fond of the outcome here.

I can live with that though. And the tint doesn’t bother me quite as much as it used to, but I’d still very much like to see it removed someday. I’m not holding my breath anyway. I have a feeling these are essentially the final forms of these movies.

But since this is the OT forum after all, I’ll conclude by noting that this is fine with me, because the OT finally looks more or less as it should, and that’s worth a lot to me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    StampidHD280pro and Count Yubnub like this.
  23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Is the tint gone on the current 4K version of Attack of the Clones? Mustafar is red again, the scenes in the chancellor’s office seem back to normal. Etc.

That second edit with Dooku’s escape I think needed a bit more actual re-editing. Not just changing around the shots and music, but maybe other takes and a reworking is the music.

I think all of that should happen at the same time. Yoda saves Anakin and Obi-Wan while at the same time Dooku flies away while at the same moment Padme arrives with reinforcements. It’s hard to convey that as being simultaneous.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  24. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I haven’t watched the actual 4K disk, but no. The tint is still there. It feels like it looks better, but it doesn’t actually seem to be any different.

And Mustafar isn’t in Attack of the Clones. Are you looking at Revenge of the Sith screenshots?

I agree actually. I have a feeling that given the time Lucas could easily have ended up taking another pass at it.

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Excuse me. I meant Geonosis.

I’ll need to look this up more. I thought the tint was removed from the 3D version. The source for the 4K was what was remastered 2D preparing for 3D conversion.

Mystery Roach likes this.