main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"5/25/77" and "Fanboys"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by KennethMorgan, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Anyone else get to the previews of these?

I saw the preview cut of "5/25/77". It looked OK, but it was too familiar to any number of other similar "coming of age"/"follow your dreams" movies. And the ANH connection was introduced too late in the movie (though the scene itself is a good one). I do think, though, that the Celebration people should've explained that the movie's content was in the PG-13 to soft R territory (unless they did and I missed it). I noticed some parents and small kids walk out as the movie went on.

As for "Fanboys", I missed the Q&A session, but I saw the trailer during the Opening Ceremonies. It looks pretty funny, actually.

Over to you...

2. banshee

banshee Jedi Master star 1

Jul 14, 1998
    Kenneth,

I had to leave the screening about 3 minutes into the movie, (my wife was meeting me there and she showed up 1 MINUTE after the movie stared. I already had her seat saved but they wouldn't let her in so I had to leave:mad:

Why do you feel it might get a PG-13 or even an R rating? Language? I doubt there's any sex or nudity in it.

I bumped into a girl dressed as Slave Leia who was in front of me in line the next day and she said it's a "must see".

So give us a review if you don't mind.

3. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Due to language and adult situations, it's certainly a PG-13, though it might end up with a soft R, as I noted.

Like I said, I thought it was OK. The 70's setting was pretty well-realized and the performances were good, and I did like the characters. I was a little surprised by what could be considered a minor dig at a major filmmaker (no, not George Lucas). I thought the scene at a certain Van Nuys location was great.

On the other hand, it seems a lot like a whole lot of other "coming of age"/"follow your dreams" movies. The STAR WARS angle was intoduced far too late in the movie, which seemed to run a bit long, anyway. And there are a couple of rather dark scenes that I didn't like.

All in all, I thought it was pretty good. The may make some changes in it before it's officially released, so I can only comment on the preview cut I saw. I'd say as long as you know what you're expecting, it works OK.

Anyone else with an opinion?

4. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Good lord, 5/25/77 has been in production for the past 5 years.

5. ROTS_fanatic

ROTS_fanatic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2007
    I saw the Fanboys trailer and it seems like a good fan-film. The Star Trek convention scene was so funny!

6. Wilderness_Comedian

Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Yeah, you always hear about these fan films but you never see them.

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I saw both of the Fanboys sessions. It is HILARIOUS and is packed with SW references, and even other sci fi references, but it also has a lot of general pop culture references, and it has that teen movie/Harold & Kumar kind of feel to it, so I think it's more accessible than the normal fan film, but the mere fact that it is a Star Wars fan movie might be enough to kill it at the box office.
    The director, Kyle Newman, is a true fan and was having a lot of fun answering questions, talking Star Wars, and being at the con in general.

8. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    I thoroughly enjoyed the preview of "5-25-77". It told a good story and will probably be a bit of a cult classic, which seeing as it's a low budget movie ($2 millionish) that's likely their goal. I also attended the panel with the cast and crew which was interesting as well, especially the casting stories. The movie was 2+ hours, but Pat has already conceded that the movie will be further edited. I'll certainly be seeing it when it gets released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.