main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada $5 Marconi coins

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Bria, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I collect coins and I got an email from a friend in England this morning asking me about the new $5 Marconi coins , but this was the first I'd heard of them.

Could anybody tell me about these new Canadian coins?

Any help would be hot. :D

~*~Bria

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I knew they were talking about a $5 coin... you mean to tell me they actually did it?

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    There is a newly designed $5 bill which will be out in the next week. The design will be similar to the new $10 bill.

No word on a coin.

I suspect this is a commemorative thing that was released late last year to mark the 100th anniversary of wireless communications.

It might have been only available in Newfoundland?

4. Gungan Din

Gungan Din Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 9, 1999
    The new $5 bill is out tomorrow morning (March 27) and features "Children at Play".

The Canadian mint has nothing on their website about a Marconi coin, and the only denomination they tend to release commemorative coins in is $1. The only commemorative coin I could find for Marconi was a £2 coin released in the UK last year.

5. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    That's true. The only special toonies I've seen were the Nunavut (sp?) and the Knowledge, but there have been tons of special loonies... 1992...1994...1995... if I recall correctly... obviously since I'm not Canadian I don't see everything that is made. :( I have yet to see the special dime that came out in 2001.

Anyway, interesting. I had no idea about a new $5 bill (or a $10 dollar for that matter). I'm mostly a coin collector. Yes, the Marconi thing is in relation to the 100th anniversary of wireless communication. After extensive searching this morning I came up with the following from the RCM.

The 2001 Marconi Sterling Silver Two Coin Set
    http://www.mint.ca/NR/exeres/00001133jgcgxhcftsewjysv/PressRelease.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fen%2fnews%2 fpr%2fFall%2b2001%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7b278F7914-2870-4246-B0FA-E41813DB99EE%7d

Looks pretty cool. I'm hoping I can make it to Winnipeg this year and possibly get one. :)

~*~Bria

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Back
    [image=http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/5bill_back020327.gif]

Front

[image=http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/5bill_front020327.gif]

wk

7. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Hockey and Laurier, eh? That's cool.

8. Grey_Fox

Grey_Fox Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
    I hope it works better in vending machines than the $10 bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.