main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 50 Best Movie Villains (acc. to The Times): 1. Darth Vader (David Prowse) - Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by The_Face, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    The film itself shows the fact that it was made on a shoestring, and that Murnau didn't have much technical mastery at the time. What's astonishing is the speed in which he acquired technical expertise, because "The Last Laugh", made two years later, is absolutely remarkable. He did make about ten films prior to it, and about ten after it.

Some are lost: "4 Devils", his next to last film, had very good reviews, but there are no extant copies.

I saw a similar arc with Seastrom: in his early work, "The Phantom Carriage" (1921), the film is remarkable, but we get stuff like light glares, etc. By the time of "He Who Gets Slapped" (1924), he has mastered the medium.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think Nosferatu is pretty technical sound but in comparison to Sunrise you see a much more developed filmmaker.

3. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    A lot of the frames are overexposed; which may or may not be his fault. Also the day-for-night doesn't work.

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    That generally seems to be the most noticeable technical fault in silent films though and it's even worse when you have a bad print.

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Keep in mind, though, that those day-for-night scenes would have been shown theatrically with a blue tint, creating a nighttime "feel" that is almost laughably absent from most DVD copies of the film. Yellow-orange for the sunrise scene at the end, green for the outdoor scenes... and all of that with a truly excellent Classical score, and the film would be a much richer experience than the crummy, washed-out, third-hand prints we have easily available today.

6. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    5. Alex Forrest (Glenn Close) ? Fatal Attraction (1987)

They say
    : Glenn Close?s bunny-boiler is terrifying not only when flying into jealous rages at her married lover and his family, but also in her calm demeanour as she considers and carries out these acts. Alex Forrest is a compelling character because everyone can relate to her spurned advances and the basic human need to feel loved.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Close is good in the movie, sometimes very good. Her "I won't be ignored" bit is absolutely chilling. But she's not top five material. Not when people like John Doe from Se7en were in the forties.

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    A more realistic villain than some, and most men (and women) have met a version of her: the girlfriend/boyfriend who won't go away.

9. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    4. Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) ? Psycho (1960)

They say
    : What makes Bates so terrifying is that he appears normal, and it?s only towards the film?s stunning climax ? when that pesky oedipal complex kicks in ? that we learn the extent to which he has lost his mind. Perkins was the prototype for the attractive, articulate yet psychotic villain that has become the mainstay of spine tingling psychological thrillers ever since.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Definitely. Perkins' performance is a thing of absolute beauty.

11. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    No "benefits of a classical eduction" or teeth-sucking liver and fava beans... Perkins is just pure, subtle malevolence.

12. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Perkin's greatest role. And it ruined his career.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Both true. He's a bit like Robert Walker in "Strangers on a Train"; he's so very convincing, it's unsettling.

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Really? I don't know very much about him, but what-he couldn't get parts after scaring the crap out of everybody?

15. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

No, he could get parts, but he was somewhat typecast, not neccesarily as a murderer,
    but as someone nervous and eccentric. His range didn't really grow after Bates.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    He could only get certain types of parts--and not the sort that sustained stardom. Of course, there were other issues, namely that he was bisexual, and it was fairly well known. This is in the early sixties, when this was more of a problem than it is now.

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Wow, that sure sucks. The more you know, I guess?

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Perkins did eventually get married to a photojournalist named Berry Berensen, and had two sons. He died of AIDS; she later died on 9/11 in one of the doomed planes. Robert Walker died immediately after he finished "Strangers on a Plane" of chronic alcoholism. Only Joseph Cotten escaped the curse, I guess.

19. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    3. Henry F. Potter (Lionel Barrymore) ? It?s a Wonderful life (1946)

They say
    : The purest representation of greed and miserly misery caught on celluloid, Henry F. Potter spits venom at every turn in Capra?s masterpiece. He?s the antithesis of Jimmy Stewart?s ?heart of gold? hero George Bailey, and exists without a shred of redemptive quality to counter his greed, malice and downright evil towards the good people of Bedford Falls.

I say: Been a while since I saw it, but as I remember, Potter is pure unrestrained greed with no character shading to speak of.

20. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Notable for having no redeeming qualities and no redemption at the end of the film, but this guy ain't better then Norman Bates.

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Close was brilliant as Alex Forrest. "I won#t be ignored" was absolutely perfect. Of course, I always hear Elmer Fudd singing "Kill the rabbit" when I think of this movie. In a good way.

And yes, Barrymore was tremendous as Mr Potter. Though the real villain of the movie is Uncle Billy, imo. Stupid jackass.

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Better than Norman Bates? Nah.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    He's a stinker, but he's kind of small beer compared to most everybody else on the list.

24. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    2. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) ? Silence of the Lambs (1991)

They say
    : Despite coming a very close second, Anthony Hopkins?s courteous cannibal is still a terrifying prospect. Lecter?s calm demeanour, articulate manner and moral vacuum tick all of the boxes for cinematic psychological torture, while his penchant for human flesh crosses one of society?s final taboos. He?s visually striking too and the facemask and restraints have become a cultural icon outside the movie?s terrorising context. Despite his intelligent, controlled exterior there still lurks a vicious killer as seen during a frenzied attack when he bites the nose off a security guard and wears his face to escape.

25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    He's great in The Silence of the Lambs, he's pretty fun in Hannibal, but Hopkins becomes a boring old dude doing a vapid Anthony Hopkins impersonation in Red Dragon. A mate of mine told me that Ratner demanded that he overplay it, while Hopkins insisted that he underplay it. Instead you get neither, and the effect is nil.

Brian Cox is pretty chilling in the role too, taking it in another direction entirely.