main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "There are seven thrones." Black Adam (Release Date: 7/29/22)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 29, 2021.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

A release date for this film has finally been announced. For reference, The Rock first talked about taking on the role of Shazam or Black Adam at least as far back at 2007. It will have literally taken 15 years to finally reach the screen.

In related news:

The news follows on from Pierce Brosnan scoring the role of classic hero Dr. Fate alongside Aldis Hodge as Hawkman, Noah Centineo as Atom Smasher and Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone in the film.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I hope they remain faithful to the essential spirit of the original portrayal of the character and have him shrivel up and die after being outsmarted by a comic relief character with no special abilities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rebuilding this one-off nothing into Captain Ma... er, Shazam's greatest enemy in the 1970s - when you couldn't exactly use Captain Nazi anymore - was a very smart move on DC's part, but still.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thankfully, an updated Captain Nazi would be a wholly fitting character for a present-day take.

Sigh.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    SHAZAM: FURY OF THE GODS
    SHAZAM: FURY OF THE GOP

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So none of you have read Johns' JSA run? As that did quite a bit with the character.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    This Black Adam film is setting up to be a precursor for a Justice Society film (doubtful that WB/DC will use "America") with the cast of characters. DC is moving onward and upward.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    aldis hodge is a tremendous actor, remember him first from friday night lights, in which he took on a very tough role at a very young age. looking forward to seeing his take on hawkman.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I read that he moved the Moon. I mean, how over the top are they gonna go?

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm very intrigued by Pierce Brosnan as Kent Nelson. It's not someone I would normally think of, but given his current age and his films, it actually seems like a really good fit.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is my favorite casting in the entire current DCEU. The potential is limitless.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wow, I must be the first one here to have seen Black Adam since it came out in July. :eek:

But yeah, I thought it was alright. Very bare bones story, but it was stylish and had some flair. It's definitely a step up from Snyder's DC films since it feels comic booky a couple times throughout. IDK what The Rock was going for but he came across as too flat, though he had a few good moments trying to be the T-800 badly utilizing catchphrases. The Justice Society were much better, especially Brosnan's Dr. Fate. I enjoyed the connections to Shazam!, and would have been curious to see Zachary Levi and Johnson bounce off each other. Def glad I waited to watch it on HBO though.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I should have waited to see it on HBO. And I don't have HBO.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    October, actually ;).

I think most of the previous discussion just ended up taking place in the main DCU thread.

14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I tried watching it on whatever streaming service, fell asleep twice, and on the third attempt managed to verify that it is indeed one of if not the worst movie Dwayne has ever headlined. It makes that earthquake movie look like a masterpiece, the kind of thing that makes you want to watch the Baywatch movie or Red Notice just so you know Dwayne is capable of being in something better.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I found it to not be super horrible. It was pretty predictable in spots but not all. IMDb gives it a 6.5 and I kind of agree.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Why does the older Marvel guy look like Mr. Magoo? [face_laugh]

Sarge likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Uncle Dudley. Artists in the Golden Age tended to have their characters squint a lot.