main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run | 12 Weeks, 11 Writing Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for a great Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker , Jan 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Happy New Year, everyone! A brand-new year is the perfect time for a brand-new writing challenge! Whether you’ve made a resolution to write more in 2022 or you just want to have some fun (and win some colors ;)), I hope you’ll join me for…

The Kessel Run!

[​IMG]

Welcome to the Kessel Run, a fast-paced fanfic challenge worthy of the Millennium Falcon itself! Over the next twelve weeks, you’ll be pushed to your writing limits as you complete eleven different fanfic prompts. Here’s the catch: once each prompt is posted, you’ll have only one week to write and post your response. [face_mischief]

Okay, so it’s somewhat fast-paced, and the prompts aren’t nearly as wild as the previous paragraph would suggest, but I hope it will be a fun and challenging experience for everyone who signs up!

Let’s break it down a little more…

How Does This Work?

We all know that Han and Chewie made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs, so in honor of that achievement, you will complete eleven writing prompts spread out over twelve weeks. Ten of these prompts will be secret prompts – you won’t know what they are in advance, and once they’re posted, you’ll have one week to write and post your fic. Given the time limits involved, most of these prompts will have a word range of 100 to 1,000 words. There will also be one longer prompt for a 2,000-8,000-word vignette. This prompt will be revealed at the very beginning of the challenge, and you will have the whole twelve weeks to write it.

Because life sometimes gets in the way of fanfic, I’m including a bye week in the schedule, to be taken totally at your discretion. If you know you can’t finish your prompt during a certain week, you can opt to skip that week and make it up during Week 11. (I’ll include a sample schedule below so you can see how this would work.)

In addition to the eleven prompts already mentioned, there will be a twelfth “get out of jail free” prompt. Basically, if one of the secret prompts just isn’t doing it for you, you can replace it with the “get out of jail free” prompt. Be selective with this one, because you only get one, and you won’t know what any of the other prompts are until they’re posted. Also, you cannot use this twelfth prompt to replace the 2,000-8,000-word prompt.

Normal Schedule – No changes

Week 1 – secret prompt #1
    Week 2 – secret prompt #2
    Week 3 – secret prompt #3
    Week 4 – secret prompt #4
    Week 5 – secret prompt #5
    Week 6 – secret prompt #6
    Week 7 – secret prompt #7
    Week 8 – secret prompt #8
    Week 9 – secret prompt #9
    Week 10 – secret prompt #10
    Week 11 – no new prompts (you could use this time to work on the Week 12 fic)
    Week 12 – 2,000-8,000-word prompt

Sample Schedule with a Bye Week

Week 1 – secret prompt #1
    Week 2 – secret prompt #2
    Week 3 – secret prompt #3
    Week 4 – secret prompt #4
    Week 5 – choose not to write this week, make-up during Week 11
    Week 6 – secret prompt #6
    Week 7 – secret prompt #7
    Week 8 – secret prompt #8
    Week 9 – secret prompt #9
    Week 10 – secret prompt #10
    Week 11 – secret prompt #5
    Week 12 – 2,000-8,000-word prompt​

The Rules

1. In order to participate, you must post in this thread stating you’d like to sign up.

2. All of your vignettes, ficlets, drabbles, one-shots, etc. written for this challenge must be posted in one (1) story thread, and your story thread must be a new thread created for the Kessel Run challenge. Please also include a reference to the Kessel Run in the header for your thread, so that I can keep track more easily.

3. Prompts will be posted in this thread each Monday, and responses must be posted in your own story threads by the following Monday at 11:59 EST. (That gives you a week plus 12 hours, give or take, to write and post your fics.) The first prompt will be posted Monday, January 10th.

4. The final vignette (the 2,000-8,000-word story) is due Monday, April 4th at 11:59 EST.

5. Please post a link to your story thread in this thread once you’ve started. You may also post links here each time you update your thread, if you wish.

6. The “get out of jail free” prompt can replace any one (1) of the secret prompts, but it must still be completed by that prompt’s deadline. The “get out of jail free” prompt cannot be used to replace the longer 2,000-8,000-word vignette.

7. You do not have to stick to a single character, theme, time period, fandom, etc. for the entire challenge. Go wherever the muse takes you! (Of course, if you want to focus on a single character or ‘verse or theme, go for it!)

8. Even though each response to the challenge should be posted in your Kessel Run thread, feel free to double up on challenges, if you have another writing challenge that applies. (Please also check the rules for the other challenge to make sure that it’s okay!)

9. Non-SW stories are welcome!

10. As always, all entries must abide by the Fanfic rules and the TOS for the site.

The Rewards

Guess what? Anyone who competes in the Kessel Run has a chance to win colors! Here’s the breakdown:
    • If you complete the entire Kessel Run on time (that’s 10 secret prompts, plus the longer 2,000-8,000-word vignette), you will receive 1 full week of colors!
    • If you complete eight (8) of the secret prompts, plus the longer vignette, on time, you will receive 72 hours of colors!
    • If you complete six (6) of the secret prompts, plus the longer vignette, on time, you will receive 48 hours of colors!
    • If you complete four (4) of the secret prompts, plus the longer vignette, on time, you will receive 24 hours of colors!
    • Finally, if you complete all ten (10) of the secret prompts on time, but are unable to finish the longer vignette before the deadline, you will receive 24 hours of colors!

FAQ

Wait, when does this challenge begin?

The first prompts will be posted in this thread on Monday, January 10th to kick things off!

What is the deadline to sign up?

Sign-ups are open for the duration of the challenge; however, be aware that the longer you wait to sign up, the less your potential prize will be at the end. If you’re not concerned about colors and want to join the fun anyway, you are more than welcome to sign up at any time!

Are the word limits absolute, or is there some wiggle room?

In short, yes, they are absolute. The word limits are part of the challenge and must be adhered to. However, I’m not likely to go around doing a word count on everyone’s entries, so I’m relying on the honor system here!

Is there a specific word counter I should use?

You may use whichever word counter you prefer, whether that’s an online counter, your word processor, or if you want to count the words yourself. Whichever method you decide on, please stick with it for the entirety of the challenge.

What if I miss the deadline for one of the prompts? Can I still win colors?

You can definitely still win colors! There are multiple tiers based on how many prompts you finish on time, so even if you miss a week, keep writing! (See “The Rewards” section above for a breakdown of the prizes.)

Where can I find the master list of prompts?

An index of all prompts will be included at the end of this post!

Have a question that you don’t see answered here? Post it in this thread, and I’ll get back to you as quickly as possible!

[​IMG]

Index of Prompts
    Long vignette (2,000+ words)
    • Write a longer vignette/one-shot of at least 2,000 words using the "5+1 Times/Things" format. This is typically a series of scenes or shorter vignettes connected by an overarching theme. The first five sections will usually have the same "thing" in common, while the last section is an inversion of the previous sections. This format works for all genres - drama, humor, fluff, angst, romance... you name it!
    • Click here for further details
    • Word limit = minimum 2,000 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries due Monday, April 4th at 11:59pm EST
    “Get out of jail free” prompt
    (you may use this as a substitute for one of the weekly prompts)

• Write a story between 300 and 1,000 words in the format of a letter. It can be a thank you letter, a love letter, a letter-to-the-editor, a request for funding… any type of letter, for any reason, by any character. The entire story should be written as the letter, without any additional narrative framing.

Weekly Secret Prompts

Week 1 | January 10-17
    • Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that starts with this sentence: “Saying goodbye was never easy, but she couldn’t put it off any longer.”
    • Word limit = 100-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 17th at 11:59pm EST

Week 2 | January 17-24
    • Write a dialogue-only story between 400 and 800 words in which two characters have a disagreement.
    • Word limit = 400-800 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 24th at 11:59pm EST

Week 3 | January 24-31
    • Write a set of 5 drabbles with the following prompts: beacon, discovery, arcane, sister, burden
    • What is a drabble? A drabble is a short work of fiction that is precisely 100 words long, no more and no less!
    • Each drabble must be exactly 100 words, for a total of 500 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 31st at 11:59pm EST

Week 4 | January 31-February 7
    • Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words from the perspective of the Force.
    • For non-SW, write from the POV of an incorporeal or immortal entity or a concept/force or place appropriate to the fandom you're writing in. So basically, something that might - in some way - equate to the Force. Examples include, but are certainly not limited to: God, Death, Chaos, magic, the One Ring, the Triforce, the space-time continuum, the sky, a planet, Mother Nature, an event horizon... you get the idea.
    • Entries due Monday, February 7th at 11:59pm EST

Week 5 | February 7-14
    • Write a story between 600 and 1,000 words with your OTP (or any romantic pairing, canon or otherwise) in which your characters do not touch, and that includes the following sentence: "All things considered, this was an interesting way to wind up in prison."
    • Word limit = 600-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, February 14th at 11:59pm EST

Week 6 | February 14-21
    • Write an AU (alternate universe) story of at least 500 words where the moral alignment of one of your characters is the opposite of (or drastically different from) what it is in canon and/or Legends (or the source material, for OCs or NSW fandoms). For example: Qui-Gon as a Sith Lord, Tarkin as a Rebel, etc.
    • Minimum 500 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries due Monday, February 21st at 11:59pm EST

Week 7 | February 21-28
    • Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that is entirely introspection. No spoken dialogue, no action.
    • Entries due Monday, February 28th at 11:59pm EST

Week 8 | February 28-March 7
    • Write a story of at least 400 words from the POV of a character you hate/dislike and make them sympathetic.
    • Minimum 400 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries due Monday, March 7th at 11:59pm EST

Week 9 | March 7-14
    • Write a poem in any style/form, and of any length.
    • No word limit
    • Entries due Monday, March 14th at 11:59pm EST

Week 10 | March 14-21
    • Write a story between 100 and 400 words, and include these three words: galvanize, cavalier, adversary
    • Word limit = 100-400 words
    • Entries due Monday, March 21st at 11:59pm EST

~~

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
  3. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm in. I have a couple of story ideas in the early stages of development and research, but there's no deadline on those, and I have list of fic ideas left over from last year's (awesome!) Summer Fanfic Olympics, so sign me up. :)

Kahara, amidalachick, brodiew and 5 others like this.
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Trying to ease myself back into writing fanfic!

Please sign me up, @ViariSkywalker!

This sounds wonderfully fun and exciting:D

5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Ok, sign me up. My moose muse needs a kick in the shebs, and I hope this will help :D

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS CHALLENGE! What a great way to kick off the new year with a fresh jolt of inspiration! This already looks to be all sorts of fun as both a reader and a writer. [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

You know I'm in on the SW side of things, and I may even do a NSW entry too. But, let's see how the muse is feeling once it comes time to really start writing. ;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sign me up! I might regret this (my body is being less than cooperative as of late), but I've recently discovered a new fandom I am really excited to write more in, and I need some inspiration for some little ficlets and vignettes to practice writing these characters!

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Sign me up. I have ideas for one of my OC's

9. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Excellent, I have all of you added to the list!

I'm excited to see so many interested already, and I can't wait to officially get started! Any other takers? [face_batting]

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Happy new year to all! I am so down for this. Sign me up! :cool:[face_hypnotized][face_mischief]

11. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
  12. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    This is such an awesome, creative idea for a challenge!

Ten years ago this month I climbed a mountain to prove something to myself, so it seems fitting to attempt the mental equivalent of that now. Sign me up, please. :D

13. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Participants updated!

Wow, guys, I'm loving your enthusiasm for this challenge! It looks like we've all needed an extra jolt of inspiration; I've got a good feeling about these next several weeks. ;)

(@amidalachick, I hope you'll find this challenge to be a worthy follow-up to such an impressive achievement! Wow!)

I've also added myself to the list, and I want to thank @Mira_Jade for offering to provide me with my own set of secret prompts, since it wouldn't exactly be fair of me to write for the official set that I came up with. :p [:D]

14. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Please sign me up. I'm not sure how many I'll be able to accomplish between a busy January and a muse that left no forwarding address, but I'd like to give it a try. Thanks!

15. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Might give it a try as well, though it might depend on when I get my computer back. (If things go well, or as promised it should be this week).

16. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Me, oooh me! I can expand on one or two of my stories that I am currently writing!

17. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Participants updated, glad to see more takers! :)

(@Anedon, I've left you off the list for now since you're undecided. Let me know if/when you want to be added!)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, very interesting challenge idea! I think I'll give it a try, too—could be a really fun source of inspiration! :cool:

19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Got you on the list!

Five more days... [face_batting]

20. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    So my computer is fixed, so I can confirm takeing part in this.

21. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    That's great news! I've added you to the list!

22. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    So excited for tomorrow! [face_hypnotized][face_mischief][face_party][face_dancing]

23. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I am too! I have so many ideas!

24. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Good morning, everyone! It's January 10th, and that means it's time to kick things off! [face_dancing] Since today is the first day of the Kessel Run, I actually have three prompts to post:
    1. The long vignette that is due at the very end of the challenge
    2. The "get out of jail free" substitute prompt that can be used in place of any one of the weekly prompts
    3. The secret prompt for Week 1!

Without further ado...

Long vignette
    (2,000-8,000 words)

Over the next twelve weeks, you will write a longer vignette/one-shot between 2,000 and 8,000 words using the "5+1 Times/Things" format. This is typically a series of scenes or shorter vignettes connected by an overarching theme. The first five sections will usually have the same "thing" in common, while the last section is an inversion of the previous sections. This format works for all genres - drama, humor, fluff, angst, romance... you name it!
    • Word limit = 2,000-8,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, April 4th at 11:59pm EST
    Here are some examples of the 5+1 format, plus a link to a similar challenge hosted in the OTP thread last year:
    • Five times Obi-Wan kept a secret, and one time he didn't
    • Five times the Republic almost fell, and one time it actually did
    • Five things Aunt Beru did for Luke, and one thing Luke did for Aunt Beru
    • Five times Han kissed Leia, and one time she kissed him
    • Five Imperials who defected to the Rebellion, and one who stayed loyal to the end
    • Five acts of selfishness, and one act of sacrifice
    • For more examples, see OTP Challenge #18. There's a list of possible 5+1 variations, and the fics in the index are a great place to start if you're wondering how a story that uses this format might look.
    There are countless ways to write a "5+1 Times/Things" story, so this is by no means an exhaustive list. If you have any questions about how to write for this prompt, don't hesitate to ask. (And feel free to use any of the above examples for your own fics, if the mood strikes.) You have the next twelve weeks to craft your response, so be creative and have fun with it!

“Get out of jail free” prompt
    (you may use this as a substitute for one of the weekly prompts)
    • Write a story between 300 and 1,000 words in the format of a letter. It can be a thank you letter, a love letter, a letter-to-the-editor, a request for funding… any type of letter, for any reason, by any character. The entire story should be written as the letter, without any additional narrative framing.

And now, on to the first secret prompt!

* * Week 1 * *
    • Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that starts with this sentence: “Saying goodbye was never easy, but she couldn’t put it off any longer.”
    • Entries due Monday, January 17th at 11:59pm EST

That's it for this week, guys! Your Week 1 fics are due one week from today! Remember to post your entries in a new thread created for the Kessel Run challenge, and then come back and post a link in this thread! If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or send me a PM. Happy writing, and I'll see you all back here next Monday for your next prompt! ;) [face_batting]

Let the Kessel Run begin!
    :falcon:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006