main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO "6 DEGREES of STAR WARS" Episode IV: A New Game

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedigal, Feb 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    PARTICULARS FOR EPISODE IV:
    The game will run during the month of February. Each Friday in Feb I will post 3 names, and each Monday in Feb I will post 2 names. This is a total of 20 points possible unless anyone beats a prior solution. Unless I post otherwise during the course of the game, the last day for solutions to be posted will be February 28.

First place wins:
    - Trio of Trade Federation Fighter Droids (they fly or walk) made by Hasbro
    - Brand-spankin'-new copy of "The Essential Chronology"

Second place wins:
    - HARDCOVER copy of SW:ANH
    - Episode 1 Action Figure; Your choice of Ki-Adi-Mundi or OOM-9

Third place wins:
    - 50 Piece "Mini Puzzle" 5"x7"; your choice of Sebulba, Amidala, or Pit Droid

2. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    For those who didn't read the first thread on this topic and are wondering how to play, here's the scoop on that.

BASIC PREMISE:
    For anyone who doesn't remember the game 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon, it worked like this:
    You try to link any given actor to Kevin Bacon in the following manner, each 'step' being one 'degree', with no more than 6 degrees. For example:
    1st degree O.J. Simpson was in 'Naked Gun' w/
    2nd degree Priscilla Presley, who was in 'Ford Fairlaine' w/
    3rd degree Gilbert Gottfreid, who was in 'Beverly Hills Cop II' w/
    4th degree Paul Reiser, who was in 'Diner' w/Kevin Bacon

Same idea, except that instead of linking to Kevin Bacon, you will need to link with ANY actor from ANY of the Star Wars Films. Here are a few extra guidelines:
    1. You must state which Star Wars Film your connecting actor was in: i.e.,...who was in 'Trainspotting' w/Ewan McGregor (Episode I).
    2. You may use the original films AND the Special Editions.
    3. Only actors may be used to connect links, not directors, producers, writers, etc., unless that person made a cameo appearance in the film.

WHAT'S THE GOAL?
    So, you ask, how do I win great prizes? Good question. I'm going to award points, and the person with the most points wins!

FIRST WAY TO EARN POINTS:
    The game will run for a predetermined time period. From time to time during the game I will post the names of some actors. Then you post your solutions. The first person to post a solution for each actor earns 1 point. You don't have to wait until you have solved all of them, if you solve one, post it and get the point.

Even if the next round of actors has been listed, if a solution has not been posted for an actor from a previous post, solutions will still be accepted for that actor. So don't give up.

SECOND WAY TO EARN POINTS:
    What if someone has already posted a solution that took 6 steps, but you found a solution with only 4 steps? Well, you're in luck. If you can post a shorter solution for an actor that has already been solved, you will earn 2 points. You are NOT eligible for this if you are the person who posted the first solution.

At the end of the game, whoever has the most points wins. I will post a scorecard occasionally to make it easier to keep track of your competition. Once we get going, depending on how many days between me posting the actors and someone posting a solution, at the end of the month, I may allow a few extra days to turn in solutions.

3. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Episode IV: A New Game

Scene I

Alan Alda
    Kathy Bates
    Tim Curry

4. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Alan Alda was in California Suite (1978) with Michael Caine who was in Little Voice (1998) with Ewan McGregor who was in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999).

Kathy Bates was in White Palace (1990) with Susan Sarandon who was in Anywhere But Here (1999) with Natalie Portman who was in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999).

Tim Curry was in National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 (1993) with Samuel L. Jackson who was in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999).

Phil

5. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, that didn't take long!

"I have a bad feeling about this..."

I'm thinking it's doubtful that you can get those linked in fewer degrees than that!

Look for the next post on Monday, Feb 5!

6. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Alan Alda was in What Women Want (2000) with Helen Hunt, who was in Next of Kin (1989) with Liam Neesom.

Kathy Bates was in American Outlaws (2001) with Harri Yulin, who was in Clear and Present Danger (1994) with Harrison Ford.

Tim Curry was in Charlie's Angels (2000) with Cameron Diaz, who was in Life Less Ordinary, A (1997) with Ewan McGregor.

7. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    OK, I'm thinking the game will probably evolve in progress, so keep an eye on this thread for information. I will try to keep this fair for all, but I want to be able to ensure everyone can participate that might want to, and also keep things fairly competitive. It wouldn't be much fun if one person just waltzes away with it all.

A REMINDER:
    You don't have to solve all actors to post a solution!
    Solve one, post it, then try for the next one.

FIRST RULE CHANGE:
    So that there are more points available, I will award a point to each solution that links through a different Star Wars actor, up to two points per player per "actor-to-be-linked".

For example:

SO - Alan Alda was solved by MER through Ewan McGregor (1 pt for MER).
    Alan Alda was solved by JJ through Liam Neeson (1 pt for JJ).

MER and JJ could each earn an additional point for Alan Alda by posting new solutions linking through different SW actors.

Anyone who can link up Alan Alda through either Ewan McGregor or Liam Neeson IN FEWER DEGREES THAN the solutions already posted can earn TWO POINTS PER SHORTER SOLUTION. (And you are still ineligible to beat your own solution.)

THIS SHOULD RESULT IN A LOT MORE POINTS BEING AVAILABLE.

Maybe at the end of the game there'll be bonus points for having the most solutions via a certain SW actor, maybe +X pts for the person who posted the most solutions that linked through Carrie Fisher.

Suggest other ways to earn bonus points if you think of something.

So, for right now, it stands at:

MER - 3 pts.
    JJ13 - 3 pts.

There's lots of other SW folks to link through, so get on in there!

P.S. Anyone who wants to complain about changing rules in midstream is always welcome to forfeit their prizes! : )

8. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    OK, everybody, I'm gonna post the names for Monday. But FIRST, I want to encourage everyone to play. There's plenty of points to go around now.

In case you didn't understand the rule change I posted, let me try to make it a little more clear.

TODAY'S NAMES ARE:
    Bruce Willis
    Catherine Zeta-Jones

OK, now there are MORE than 2 points available here! For each one of those two actors, there are virtually limitless points available. You can now earn a point if you can link Bruce Willis to Star Wars through Carrie Fisher. You can also earn a point by linking Bruce to SW through Harrison Ford. And another point by linking Bruce through Mark Hamill, and another through David Prowse, and another through Liam Neeson, and another through Natalie Portman, and so on, and so on, and so on, ad nauseum.

Remember, there are lots of points available for the actors that were already posted on Friday.

And there's great prizes!
    Ok, actually there's just cheezy SW prizes, but they're FREE!

9. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    Bruce Willis was in Breakfast of Champions (1999) with Albert Finney who was in Scrooge (1970) with Alec Guinness who was in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977).

Catherine Zeta-Jones was in High Fidelity (2000) with Joan Cusack who was in Working Girl (1988) with Harrison Ford who was in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977).

Phil

10. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I can't resist single movie links, so here goes:

Bruce Willis was in Pulp Fiction (1995) with Samuel L. Jackson who was in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999).

Catherine Zeta-Jones was in Blue Juice (1995) with Ewan McGregor who was in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999).

Phil

11. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Bruce Willis was in Unbreakable (2000) with Sam Jackson who was in Star Wars Episode 1 (1999).

I know MER has those two already, but I've got it with a different movie. Does it count?

12. JediGemini

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, I know I'm making this hard, but I thought of another one. The only problem is that one link is from a t.v. series. I'm gonna post it, but if you won't accept it, that's okay! I tried though. :)

Bruce Willis was in The Whole Nine Yards (2000 me thinks) with Matthew Perry who is on Friends (?-2001) with Courtney Cox Arquette who was in Scream 3 (2000) with Carrie Fisher who was in Star Wars Ep. 4 (1977).

13. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I figured how to link Bruce Willis to Carrie Fisher using only movies:

Bruce Willis was in Bonfire of the Vanities (1990) with Tom Hanks who was in The 'burbs (1989) with Carrie Fisher who was in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977).

Phil

14. JediGemini

Nov 28, 2000
    Geez, Phil! Stop doing that!
    Well, okay, I admit you. You ARE good. You must have a multitude of info stashed up there or you are a really good researcher. I need more time in the day!

15. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Gemmy, if you don't come hang out with us at the convention, you can find a bunch of links that haven't been done yet while we keep Phil busy and away from a computer!

16. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Bruce Willis was in Kid, The (2000) with Dana Ivey. Dana Ivey was in Walking Across Egypt (2000) with Mark Hamill.

Bruce Willis was in Armageddon (1998) with Keith David. Keith David was in Where the Heart Is (2000) with Natalie Portman.

Bruce Willis was in Nobody's Fool (1994) with Gerry Robert Byrne. Gerry Robert Byrne was in Gangs of New York (2001) with Liam Neeson.

Bruce Willis was in Fifth Element, The (1997) with Ian Holm. Ian Holm was in Kafka (1991) with Alec Guinness.

Bruce Willis was in Story of Us, The (1999) with Michelle Pfeiffer. Michelle Pfeiffer was in What Lies Beneath (2000) with Harrison Ford.

Bruce Willis was in Loaded Weapon 1 (1993) with Charlie Sheen. Charlie Sheen was in Famous (2000) with Carrie Fisher.

Bruce Willis was in Pulp Fiction (1994) with Michael Gilden. Michael Gilden (Ewok) was in Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) with David Prowse.

Bruce Willis was in Fifth Element, The (1997) with Lee Evans. Lee Evans was in Ladies Man, The (2000) with Billy Dee Williams.

Bruce Willis was in Fifth Element, The (1997) with Mac McDonald. Mac McDonald was in Top Secret! (1984) with Peter Cushing.

Bruce Willis was in Player, The (1992) with Susan Sarandon. Susan Sarandon was in Ljuset haller mig sallskap (2000) with Pernilla August.

Bruce Willis was in Striking Distance (1993) with Tom Sizemore. Tom Sizemore was in Red Planet (2000) with Terence Stamp.

Bruce Willis was in Last Man Standing (1996) with Christopher Walken. Christopher Walken was in Sleepy Hollow (1999) with Ian McDiarmid.

Bruce Willis was in Die Hard 2 (1990) with John Leguizamo. John Leguizamo was in Moulin Rouge (2001) with Ewan McGregor.

Bruce Willis was in Color of Night (1994) with Lance Henriksen. Lance Henriksen was in Tarzan (1999) with Brian Blessed.

Is that enough????? :)

17. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Ummmm.... I guess Jeff's winning now.

But Gem, there are OTHERs besides Bruce Willis for whom such thorough linking has not yet been accomplished.

It's easy to see that SOMEONE is not WORKING very hard today. Where can I get a job like that?

18. JediGemini

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, okay. Good plan Steph. I think I'll do a little research tonight or when I have the time this week. I won't let them get ALL the points.

19. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Sithspit! I don't stand a chance against you guys!

This just highlights to me that I need to watch more movies!

20. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Here are the names for Today

Michael Douglas, Clint Eastwood, Sally Field

21. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Just two for each today, but no repeats of actors:

Michael Douglas was in Forever Hollywood (1999) with Samuel L. Jackson.

Michael Douglas was in Wall Street (1987) with Charlie Sheen. Charlie Sheen was in Famous (2000) with Carrie Fisher.

Clint Eastwood was in Les Cent et une nuits (1995) with Harrison Ford. (Ummm....I guess only one match for Clint)

Sally Field was in Eye for an Eye (1996) with Bob Clendenin. Bob Clendenin was in Watchers Reborn (1998) with Mark Hamill.

Sally Field was in Time of our Lives (2000) with Anjelica Huston. Anjelica Huston was in A Handful of Dust (1988) with Alec Guinness.

Oh.....I forgot CZJ yesterday (when I was being a jag), so here's a couple on her (Ummmm......I didn't mean it like THAT!):

Catherine Zeta-Jones was in Traffic (2000) with Jsu Garcia. Jsu Garcia was in Woo (1998) with Billy Dee Williams.

Catherine Zeta-Jones was in Splitting Heirs (1993) with Paul Brooke (Malakili).

22. JediGemini

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, yeah! Gemmy's got some!

Sally Field was in Where the Heart Is (2000) with Natalie Portman who was in Star Wars Ep. 1 TPM (1999)

Sally Field was in Where the Heart Is (2000) with Ashley Judd who was in Double Jeopardy (1999) with Tommy Lee Jones who was in The Fugitive (1993) with Harrison Ford who was in Star Wars Ep. 4 ANH (1977).

Sally Field was in Where the Heart Is (2000) with Ashely Judd who was in Eye of the Beholder (2000) with Ewan McGregor who was in Star Wars Ep. 1 TPM (1999)

Catherine Zeta Jones was in The Haunting (1999) with Liam Neisson who was in TPM (1999)

23. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    All right! Gemini's in the House!

I hope to add up and post current scores with the new names when I do that later on.

Jeff, being a jag? ? ???

No.
    Never.

Ha!

24. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Okay, here's the current scores:

JediJeff13 - 22 points
    Mos Eisleian Radio - 9 points
    JediGemini - 5 points

And, here's some "rulings" on previous questions: 1) tv counts; and 2) nope, you can't use different movies to link the same actors, the first person who links a particular game actor to a particular SW actor get that point, the only way to get points with the same pair of actors is to link them in FEWER degrees.

Don't forget that there are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes.

Since the latest rule change there are virtually an UNLIMITED NUMBER OF POSSIBLE POINTS AVAILABLE.

Bruce Willis has been linked to 15 different SW actors, but none of the other game actors have been linked to more than 5 SW actors so far. So, lots of points are ripe for the pickin'.

Today's game actors are:

Charlie Sheen and Emma Thompson

Good luck!

25. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    La la laaaaaaaaaa....

Charlie Sheen was in Being John Malkovich (1999) with Michelle Pfeiffer. Michelle Pfeiffer was in What Lies Beneath (2000) with Harrison Ford.

Charlie Sheen was in Being John Malkovich (1999) with Cameron Diaz. Cameron Diaz was in Gangs of New York (2001) with Liam Neeson.

Charlie Sheen was in Famous (2000) with Carrie Fisher. (Gave that before)

Emma Thompson was in In the Name of the Father (1993) with Saffron Burrows. Saffron Burrows was in Wing Commander (1999) with Mark Hamill.

Emma Thompson was in Primary Colors (1998) with James Earl Jones.

Emma Thompson was in Dead Again (1991) with Obba Babatunde. Obba Babatunde was in Visit, The (2000) with Billy Dee Williams.

Okay - anybody else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.