main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

9-year old Anakin's dream of freeing all the slaves comes true at the end of ROTJ

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by waheennay, Apr 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    In Episode I little Anakin says he had a dream he was a Jedi and "freed all the slaves." It made me expect the 19 year old Anakin to have returned to Tatooine and freed the slaves there in Episode II. I was surprised when I watched it that he doesn't but then I realized that in the end he truly does. He frees ALL the people enslaved by the Empire by killing Palpatine. The new "Special Edition" shots of all the people celebrating on Tatooine, Bespin and Coruscant are a visual representation of little Anakin's dream finally coming true.

2. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    That's an interesting observation! I like it.

3. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Good call, waheenay. This is something I've always said. I can't understand when people shoot the observation down. ?[face_plain] It's not uncommon in mythology and religion for prophecies to be small pictures of the larger meaning.

So I'd have ti agree with you. ;)

4. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I never thought about it that way. That is a very deep realization you've got there.
    I like it. :D

5. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I really think that line was there to show the vast change in character in Anakin from TPM to AoTC. In TPM, he was this sweet, innocent, selfless child. All he wanted to do was help others and do good. In AOTC, he was an arrogant, brash, self-centered jerk. Everything was about him being the best and the greatest. Doing good for goods sake didn't seem to be important to him any longer.

6. GrandAlmightyMaster

GrandAlmightyMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2003
    I never thought about his dream coming true like that.
    It sounds good.

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Great observation. I hadn't thought of it that way before. :)

8. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    waheennay, that is one way it came true. He does come back (from the Dark Side) and frees all the slaves.

I thought Anakin might have forseen Luke's return to Tatooine in ROTJ, but mistaken Luke for his adult self.

Luke, as a Jedi, comes back and does free Leia (who was Hutt's slave) as well as any who survived the bargesail firefight.

9. Emi-Yan_Tetu

Emi-Yan_Tetu Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2001
    Yes.

A very good observation. That shot in ROTJ SE of the Tatooine people cheering in the street in particular has new significance.

10. The_Deal_Alterer

The_Deal_Alterer Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2003
  11. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "That shot in ROTJ SE of the Tatooine people cheering in the street in particular has new significance."

Agreed, though I still like the OT ending. ;)

12. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    Never thought about it like that before. It makes sense.

13. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Yeah that is true,because not only did Anakin free all the people that were slaves to the Empire's dictatorship but he also freed all of the StormTrooper/CloneTroopers that were enslaved their entire lives being forced to serve the Empire without having their own lives,once the Emperor is dead the Empire just starts falling apart and everyone that was enslaved to the system is now free

14. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    I whole-heartedly agree waheennay. When Anakin returns to the light and embraces it, he not only frees himself from slavery to the darkside, but kills the incarnate leader of the slavery and oppressiveness of the dark side.

15. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Wow, good observation. :)

16. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Yes, it shows Anakin has come full-circle. When he was an innocent, 9-year old boy he wanted to go on adventures and do good for the sake of the doing good. 10 years later, though, he's become more selfish- he still wants to do good, but only either to protect those people close to him, impress his loved ones, and/or fit his own twisted, arrogant idealism. By 20 years later, he's literally become a machine in Palpatine's hands, mindlessly follows orders and telling himself that it's for the greater good even though it's blatantly clear how evil his methods have become. It's only until he sees Palpatine ruthlessly leave him for dead and prepare to kill his son that he realizes just how terrible this evil truly is, and rebels against it, doing one last good act for the sake of his son and the galaxy even though he realizes that nothing could save his own life by that point.

17. DarthWrytard

DarthWrytard Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2002
    The title of this thread shows deep thought (tips hat), but what about the "came back" part? It sounds like he meant he freed the slaves while living on Tatooine.

18. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    His dream was a small picture of the bigger meaning. In his dream he came back to Tatooine and freed the slaves ON Tatooine, but what it really meant was that he would come back from the dark side and free the entire galaxy from the grip of the Empire and dark side of the Force.

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "but what about the "came back" part?"

While I agree with you that it sounded like he meant Tatooine, you could stretch the meaning to include his "coming back" to the Jedi way of life. After all, Return of the Jedi could refer to Anakin's redemption.

Not saying this will happen, just saying is all. :D

20. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    AWESOME post! :D I like it! I believe it!

Rick McCallum loves you!

21. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Great insight!

I had a dream I was a Jedi. I came back here and freed all the slaves.

If we want to interpret the whole quote, it could be said that "here" turns out to be not a physical place, but rather a state of being. Anakin at nine is a compassionate, caring person, but those traits slip away as he grows older. At the end of RotJ he comes back to this state of compassion and caring, and by doing so frees the galaxy.

22. vladimir_imp

vladimir_imp Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I agree - "I came back" fits perfectly with the Jedi in him returning. Which leads to another interesting thought.

Jedi is a plural and singular term i.e. we say "the Jedi are keepers of the peace" not "the Jedi's are keepers of the peace". I've always thought that "Return of the Jedi" used the plural of the term meaning return of all the Jedi, or return of the Jedi way of life. Maybe it makes more sense in the singular - Return of the Jedi, like Return of the King or Return of the One, or Anakin's Return.

I don't know whether this makes sense (tricky to explain!).

23. Phantom-Iam

Phantom-Iam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2002
    Nice, I like it.

24. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Makes sense, but like MeBeJedi I prefer the original ending(although with the original ending everyone being free is still implied).

Now did Lucas intend for Anakin's statement to actually come true, or is the fact that Vader technically frees people in ROTJ just a coincidence?

Either way it works. :)

25. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    This was discussed a while back exactly how long I don't know but I along with others mentioned this as well. The thread was in the episode III forum, I think it was about prophecies coming true or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.