main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

\___=[]==[]==[]==[]=___/...........[iceberg] The thread for TITANIC discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Coruscant, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Would anyone like to hear my personal commentary and views about the film's themes, time and memory?

If not, oh well.

A lot of people have criticized the film's romanticizing of the tragedy. This is indeed true, imo. Steerage being locked below decks by stewards, while there is no evidence whatsoever that this actually took place. The complete and utter ignorance of the first class, while everyone in steerage is painted as a hero. Jack and Rose's entirely implausible love affair. Cal's character, or lack there of.

And I think all of this can be explained by Titanic's themes: time and memory. Everything in the film is presented and viewed through the filter of 84 years of processing by the human brain. Rose has had 84 years to reflect on what happened that night. Things have changed and drifted in her mind. This might sound ridiculous to some, but I don't think we are given the true story of the fictional story of what happened on board Titanic. It is true to Rose, but not necessarily reality. Am I getting my point across? Memory is entirely flawed. That's why (well, one reason why) there's so much contradictory testimony about what actually happened. It's why Rose's story almost comes across as a fairy tale, why at times there are heroes and villains.

For instance, I think it's entirely plausible that Jack actually did steal the diamond, but didn't live long enough to have it exposed. I doubt Cal and Ruth were as stupid, ruthless, and ignorant as they were presented to be. Obviously Margaret Brown was never called Molly on Titanic's maiden voyage. This may sound like a way to excuse the few historical flaws and bias of the film, but I think it just adds another interesting layer that you can look into if you wish.

Just my two cents!

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I heard something interesting about the submerisible sequence. Supposedly Cameron showed it to Ballard and he couldn't tell the difference between the location shooting and the model work. Know THAT is skilled film-making.

3. packerfansam

packerfansam Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2007
    No, she wasn't called that until after she died, but most people know her by that now, and it might have been weird for some people to not have her be called Molly.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Kathy Bates was very well cast, I thought. As was Victor Garber.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Read a new book on the shipwreck, which suggests that the hull was much too thin; the owners knew it, too; they corrected all the problems on their next ship, "Britannic".

6. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Titanic's legendary one million dollar shot. I remember when I first saw the movie, this shot blew me away. It's still a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMG3QR_zFjE

7. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    it's a beautiful shot and i pity the people who saw it first on the small screen.

8. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I saw it twice at the cinema [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.