main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

___ "the Power" is finished!!! ___ (TF.N's favorite son is back!!!)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Grover, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I didn't read the opening crawl, I tend not too since they are all the same anyway. Yes and I believe that the film could have done without the crawl.

I really didn't want to use the crawl in my film but unfortunatly since it takes place 10,000 years before the events of episode IV the dialogue would be impossible to follow unless you have an idea of a backstory.

EDIT: I love conan o'brein and his show. He is the best interviewer on a nighttime talk show. Whereas Jay Lenno just recited pre-fabricated leading questions and lame, tired jokes; Connan makes even the most boring intervieee a laugh-a-thon. His self-depricating attitude doesn't bother me and is quite funny at times because his show is so random.

2. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    How do u classify yourself, Grover? I havent seen anyone with quite as unique a personality as yours(is that a word?) for quite a while.

~Neszis~

3. Grover

Grover Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    SamS

Thanks for the thought-out review. Insightful and informed. A few responses/explainations:

"this is a typical formula fan film as there are wandering Jedi about and an equally wandering Sith Lord about, who cross paths and then fight each other with lightsabers and finally, the Sith Lord is vanquished."

--yeah...kindof hard to get around that, though!

--Actually, are they just "wandering around," or are they ON A SPECIFIC MISSION? No, the Sith isn't seen as having a particular mission per se; but as a Sith, reveling in evil is fun, isn't it?

"An the little boy; I still don't understand his role in the whole affair other than a plot device to bring back the Jedi."

--in a sense, yes. Also, though, to answer the question, "WHO HAS THE POWER?" Of all the characters, by the end, he does. (also note lighting and other character behaviors; all work on that theme.)

"The movie almost deserves high praise because of it's different approach. Sepia tone, very little dialog and the bizarre editing. It's very much an art film. What knocks it down several notches is the flippant scroll, presenting itself almost as a comedy. A scroll wasn't needed, or a different narrative written. The movie as a whole stands on it's own as, like I said, a disturbing dream where uncertainy and mortality crackles in the air like cool wind during a bad storm. "

--I came so close, so many times, to NOT using a scroll or drawn out title screen... Things changed back and forth, etc, with the score... The day I rendered the movie out, I almost took it out. After everyone's responses here, I'm seriously considering taking it out...WHEN I GET A CHANCE!!!

--ABOUT THE WEB SITE: I'm not sure why so many have difficulty navigating it. I actually find most sites 'overwhelming,' as in true pop-culture, marketing, 3-second-attention-span spirit layouts, that bombard me with info on the very first screen, almost like high-pressure sales tactics. So I tried to make the site OPPOSITE to that. However, others have also commented on the annoying layout of the site... Others like it. Strange.

--Thanks again for the feedback, glad you appreciated the look/feel/mood/editing/cinematography of the flick!

WhisperingDeath

"the technique was not up to par. Sometimes the guy would get done throwing and have to wait for the target to jump onto the ground."

--You still didn't tell me what you meant by that... (Again, I think I know what you're saying...but please reiterate.)

Neszis

"How do u classify yourself, Grover? I havent seen anyone with quite as unique a personality as yours(is that the word?) for quite a while. "

--NO! The word is INSANE! Ha, Ha! Remember when Starling asked Hannibal to "point that high-powered perception at yourself." But maybe he couldn't, because he was afraid at what he'd see...?" There's the answer.

(I haven't fed anyone their brain, yet, though.)

p.s. Have I seen "Jedi Academy?" which one is it, or what's the URL?

---------OH, YES!!!!!!!!-------------

TO EVERYONE:

There is a HUGE screw up in regards to a portion of the fight choreography that NO ONE'S noticed... I figured for sure some one would have by now, especially considering how critical I am of other fan films fight scenes, and how much I've been bragging up the Power's choreography...

4. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    In typical Groverishness fashion, my web server is supposedly FULL!

I pay $25.00 a month for what was SUPPOSED to be 500MB of storage space. Well my ENTIRE SITE took up 450MB... The disk is supposedly full, so I deleted around 20MB off.. AND IT STILL CLAIMS IT'S FULL!!!

Hopefully it will be fixed in a day or two (like I've got time for that; play opens this weekend!)

That's what I get for making fun of TF.N's servers!

Anyhoo, if anyone's tried and couldn't get on, try in a day or two...I HOPE!

Grover

p.s. reminds me of one time when I was stuck behind this SUV on the turnpike, it was raining, and it wouldn't get out of the passing lane.

When I finally got around it, I thought I'd give them a dose of their own medicine... So I drove JUST FAST ENOUGH to stay in from of them, intentionally driving IN the waterpuddles...and subsequently splash water on THEIR winshields.
    Moments later, I was spinning in many circles.

Didn't learn my lesson, apparently.

5. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    Looks like I'm getting put onto a new server, with much more space and bandwidth.

Interestingly, the old server claims I've exceeded the bandwidth.

Now, I know there were around 10 to 15 people who downloaded the films from a particular martial arts forum my cousin posted on...

So where else was all my bandwidth used up? Afterall, only 10 or so people bothered to reply on this thread...and some of those had nothing to do with them ACTUALLY D/L AND WATCHING THE FILM!!!

so...either a lot of people here did download it and FOR SOME REASON won't reply or post about it

...OR...

The bandwidth has been inexplicably used up by some other means...? Hmmm, interesting. I wonder what could have caused that?

Oh, well, my friend will let me know soon enough where all those downloads came from. And we'll hopefully be on a new server by week's end.

---G

6. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    It says that I'm not permitted access to the server. Fix it, I wanna see "The Power.

-Mulacki

7. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    He sure is a lively character though ain't he? :p

;)
    Kyle

8. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    "the technique was not up to par. Sometimes the guy would get done throwing and have to wait for the target to jump onto the ground."

--You still didn't tell me what you meant by that... (Again, I think I know what you're saying...but please reiterate.)

Let me take a stab at this. I would guess he's talking about the response from the person (jedi) being thrown by the sith. The fall timing is a bit late. Being an Aikidoka myself, I noticed it, too. I can only attribute this to your jedi actors not being as trained as you are. If I assume you earned the Hakama you're wearing (seems like it), you could potentially do damage to your jedi actors if you put full power and speed into the throws. Since you don't want to do that, you had to go slower and let your actors 'throw themselves' in a sense. Since they didn't feel any 'real' force, the falls were a bit late.

So, am I close?

9. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    A lot more people watch or look at links posted than reply, just so you know ;)

10. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I still say that I am TFN's FAVORITE bastard son. :D

11. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    ANYWAYS,

I DO remember you, Grover... but let me say, I am lost when it comes to this thread.

I think the problem is, you expect alot of your "reviewers". Not every person who sees a movie NEEDS to go to "poopshoot" and write a review... a very small percentage do, actually... we're like that, but on a smaller scale.

But I don't see why yoiu feel the need to lay down your 3 "classes of review".

Howabout you post a link and see what people have to say...

I still haven't read all you typed, not because I can't handle it, but just because i don't see the point... even your TOPIC doesn't tell me what the actual topic is.

Sorry man, but give me a summary and then I'll know what to respond with.

Is this just a simple "review my movie" post??? If so, why not just say what your movie's about and put a link... let us do the rest.

Cya
    Mike

12. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    Darth Mulacki

--will hopefully be fixed by the weekend...moving to different server.

--p.s. your sig is hilarious!!!

Fremen

--naw, just disturbed

darth_kohai

--I agree that's what he probably meant... (lol, my uke's were falling on CONCRETE...can you blame them?!?)

--p.s. numerous times had chance to train with Mitsugi Saotome in D.C. ...but was training/competing... WILL NEVER FORGIVE MYSELF!!! (will now go off and wallow for several hours)

Anonymous_Jedi

--yes, but I had alot of bandwidth on that server...TO SWAMP IT should have taken (in theory, at least,) SEVERAL HUNDRED DOWNLOADS!!! Now I know alot of people visit these boards... BUT SEVERAL HUNDRED downloads... doubtful.

JediTAC

--yeah, I'm just it's favorite bastard!!!

wixmmm

"Not every person who sees a movie NEEDS to go to "poopshoot" and write a review... a very small percentage do, actually"

--agreed...I, for example, often don't if my points have already been made by other posts...OR...if I figure there's no point...OR...if I know it'll just piss people off and fall on deaf ears..OR...(you get the point) Also, I want to give reviews of FOTJ, Conspiracy TRAILER, Reciprocity, the Iceland one, etc...just aint found the time yet...

--however, as I posted earlier, for the server to be swamped would have taken SEVERAL (to MANY) HUNDRED DOWNLOADS... The percentage then that replied/critiqued must be around 1%.

"I still haven't read all you typed, not because I can't handle it, but just because i don't see the point... "

--that's fine, don't read it. I say so in the post. Don't read it at all, or at least not until you watch the flick. The point was (manifold, actually) to show what a truly harsh review was like, so as to NOT HOLD BACK when reviewing it yourself...

p.s. THE NEW SERVER/SITE will have a shortened opening title as I'd always wanted, and as those here who did repond implied it should have...

p.p.s. I'M SO BUSY, WHAT AM I DOING HERE?!? gotta go!

13. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Grover

Much of what I wanted to say has already been said in SamS's excellent post. I think he hit most everything spot on.

I found this movie strangely compelling. The "oddness" of it pulls you along like an episode of the prisoner where you are never sure what is going on but you keep looking for the clues that will help sort it out. The "mystical box" reminded me a little of Pulp Fiction as that movie had a similar mysterious item that compelled the viewer but was never explicitly explained.

I think this movie is very different and overall I liked it.

I think it is quite reasonable to expect many people to download your film and not comment on it. That's the way it is. Look at the number of downloads on movies like BA and KQ compared to the number that actually bother to comment. I watched your movie days ago and didn't comment until now.

14. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    my uke's were falling on CONCRETE...can you blame them?!?

Not at all.

15. CaptJehu

CaptJehu Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2002
    The link isn't working. It just says 403 Forbidden

16. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    :( 403 Forbidden :(

17. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

18. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    Yes, "thePowerfanfilm.com" is supposedly being moved to a NEW SERVER with LOTS MORE BANDWIDTH...

According to my old server's parameters, the films were apparently downloaded SEVERAL HUNDRED TIMES! I don't know how to access the server logs, but the admin does... I'm just going on how large the files are, and that fact that the bandwidth was reached in less than a week (I think).

---SO... the site will HOPEFULLY be back up by the end of the weekend...

...and with the SHORTENED TITLE SEQUENCES...!

Will post when it's up...!

g

19. g-blatt

g-blatt Jedi Master star 2

Aug 5, 2002
    When I trid to go to you page all I got was:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apache/1.3.26 Server at www.thepowerfanfilm.com Port 80

20. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    Well, the Power is up on it's new server...!

So you can check it out again!

Some of the TRAILER files aren't up yet, but all of the FEATURE files are...
    ...AND, I've finally trimmed down the TITLE SEQUENCE in the beginning of the SHORT FEATURE VERSIONS (without the text scroll).

Let me know if you have ANY problems with the downloads... or what you think about the 'film.'

EDIT: Fixed link - needed an http://

21. LawrenceS

LawrenceS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Cool movie Grover. You just have to put some new music over it.

22. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    guruguy

--Thanks for the feedback!!!

DaftMaul
    --Thanks for fixing that link!!! (I am a complete and total computer moron. (I couldn't even duplicate your name coloration!))

LawrenceS

--Glad you liked it!!! Which file/size/type did you watch?

--As for the music, I'm pretty much stuck with it now... The small file types (wmv and mov) have a shortened title sequence, and thus, less of the Buck Rogers main theme in them...and even there, I put some of the Sith theme behind the main them. I don't mind most of the other music, and many others seem to like most of the other themes as well...(although it's still not what I asked for from my composers!) Anyhoo, I'm working on several other projects, so 'the Power' will pretty much stay as is.

23. Grover

Jun 3, 2002

For some reason, my young boba icon was removed from my posts, so I changed to the beautiful and elegant pic of mark skywalker...

24. LawrenceS

LawrenceS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    i watch the small quicktime file.
    Can't wait to some of your other work.
    Good luck.
    L.C.

25. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    LawrenceS

--Thanks, L.C.!!!

--I'm working on a dramatic short film (which might not finish filming until spring, due to seasonal changes) and a few other projects. I doubt I'll do any more fan films, at least not for a long time---until I do alot of other things I need to accomplish. Thanks again for the feedback.

to the mods... What's the deal with my icon? Why does it 'become one with the Force?'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.