main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL ____XBOX__vs____XBOX-360____

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MusicTrooper, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    I have asked about and commented on XBOX before,
    but now that I own an XBOX-360 and some games,
    I am just now beginning to worry that I may not
    have researched this enough...or asked the right questions,
    and so, if anyone knows anything.....

I thought that you would be able to play any XBOX game
    on any XBOX machine....I am starting to think that this is not so.

and that, you can get BATTLEFRONT II for xbox,
    but may have to read the fine print as to which xbox
    that it works on.....

If this is true, then I should never have acquired the xbox-360,
    and will be returning it....if I can.....as special favors
    were involved in getting it in the first place.

I put the question here (on these boards),
    because, even after reading the web sites,
    and talking to their support, the answers are all geared to sell
    me something.

If true, you would thing that the number one FAQ would be,

1.) Can I play an XBOX game on an XBOX-360?

answer" No, never.

But you can buy a maybe updated newer version or use a down loadable
    patch (If you have a computer, If you know about downloading, If you
    have a CD burner, If you have the knowledge, skills and abilities
    to do this...etc.)....and then you may bet a compromised version
    of some game to work, and then not all of them....

oh well, How bad off am I......please feel free to comment,
    but for now, sounds like I should return my 360 and just get an old one.

Ed

2. lordstarscream

lordstarscream Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    the xbox 360 is a awesome gaming system i love it its far better than the original xbox which i still have by the way the reason why im keeping it is because well if you you asked around and did some more research you would know that not all of the x box 1 games will be playable on the 360(i think this is crappy myself but thats microsoft so go figure ) i have about 40 xbox games and the only ones that work on my 360 are halo 1 hand halo 2 and batman begins...when i got mine on launch day they had this big sign up at the gamestop saying "the 360 will not play all of the xbox games so you should hang onto your xbox"..hope this helps and i never had any overheating problems etc like other people have claimes to have had

but this is a small oversight..it makes a great second dvd player also:) dont send yours back enjoy it cant wait till the playstation 3 comes out as well..

3. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    James Joyce has an X-Box?

Bosh
    quote of course you know im just kidding i know james joyce died long before xbox was invented and he probably didnt even have a tv if he did have a tv it would have been a rudimentary one with trained chimpanzees putting on a puppet show inside of a wooden box with the front removed so james joyce could see the puppets i suppose he could have poked the puppets with sticks and if they fell off it would be sort of like an xbox game end quote

4. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    thanks, I never saw the signs, and well, guys at
    target/best buy/and toys r us....all never mentioned this
    and a few actually led me to believe that I needed the 360
    to play games I now have, that ....well....seem only to work
    on the old xbox.........Bosh, thanks for the kidding,
    I can use the humor on this:)

5. lordstarscream

lordstarscream Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    its cool musictrooper glad to help ! you know those clerks at those stores only care about sucking in your money i bet some of them never actually played a game i say go to gamestop from now on they will take care of you peace

6. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Truth is, original X-Box games run in an emultation mode. The game has to have been specifically identified by MS as a game that will be able to run in the emulator. As such many many games do not work. They crash. They don't play well. A great number of people are massively pissed about this as games like Battlefront don't work while Barbie's Horse Adventures does.

Microsoft has really dropped the ball on this console between its supply difficulties and widespread power supply issues.

7. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Musictrooper, I don't intend to get the 360 so my knowledge is scant, but I think when they talk about downloading a patch, they are referring to using the XBox Live service that connect you to the 'net. And sometimes they offer trials on XBox Live.

So check out XBox Live and maybe you'll get a little further.

8. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    i don't own an xbox or 360, have no intent to own either, but have read a lot about this stuff as part of my general daily diet of video game news.

ed, i'd recommend you sell the xbox 360 on ebay...you will make your money back and probably a nice little extra chunk.

then buy a regular xbox, or even better, wait if you can to see if the price goes down...although you can probably get a nice used one from gamestop/eb games for pretty cheap.

my sense from reading your posts is that you're looking to basically own an xbox to play battlefield and other star wars games, right? plus maybe any other cool games that strike your fancy?

for your needs, I think the xbox 360 is probably inordinately complicated, expensive, and "new." basically, you're paying a premium for a system that doesn't do what you want because you're waiting for Microsoft to work out the kinks. in addition, the game lineup available on the 360 is small and will likely stay that way for the immediate future. i'm sure there will be SW games on the 360, but I am guessing that you have at least a year before said games are released...at which time you can buy a 360 more easily and maybe even get it a bit cheaper.

the original xbox is a fully developed system with tons of games, many of which have gotten impressive reviews. you can get the system and probably some of those good games used, meaning it'll be cheaper by far than a 360.

just my two cents...

9. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Excellent advice from Dartha.

A moderately capable PC can out perform and has superior image quality to 360. My 3 year old Athlon XP 2700 with 9800PRO 256 graphics cards beats the pants off 360 in both performance and image quality though it is showing its age.

The time for a new mobo, proc, and gfx card is upon me.

10. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks to all for advice, and yes to all as to what I think
    I will try.....all I wanted was just a simple game system
    to have a little fun and help keep my hand-eye coordination
    up to par for those emergency swerves while avoiding people
    trying to hit me on the road.

If only I had asked this question earlier,
    but then atari games and my computer games seem to travel
    from system to system easily and this was all I knew.

now I have learned that even the controllers for theses
    machines are incompatible.

Ed

11. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    [image=http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/534/534690/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-20040730111419093.jpg]

Ed, here's the answer to your video game problem as well as learning what to do in auto/pedestrian situations.

Bosh

12. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    GTA seems to be the solution to all of life's problems, doesn't it?

and yet...I still haven't played it. i'm waiting for the nintendo-branded gamecube version...Grand Theft Yoshi, starring Mario and set in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.