main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena A Basketball Draft Tournament.

Discussion in 'Community' started by a star war, Apr 24, 2020.

1. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Yeah, but. I mean. We could give it a little more time. someone please sign up.

I'm fine with 8 though, since it's just a tournament. It will be quick, and I think that's a good thing. But I will give it a couple more days.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Wang Chi, DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

Wang Chi likes this.
  3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I need to know the rules on drafting legacy players (there’s a Lakers Shaq AND a Cavs Shaq?) but I’m happy to keep this thing dp-less

dp4m likes this.
  4. a star war

May 4, 2016
    So, sure: legacy players can be drafted one time per franchise they played for. You can't draft 2 Lakers Shaqs, but you can draft a Lakers Shaq and a Celtics Shaq.\

I think with this few people, there won't be too many dupes, as there's plenty of talent at different positions. But if you want to have two Shaqs I won't stop you.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    cool, i had the same question. also does that go for 18-19 players as well? like if you picked 18-19 kevin durant then the only way he could be taken as a legacy player is if someone took one of his thunder seasons? and if you took 18-19 steph curry then no one could take any of his previous years as one of their legacy players? but if someone took say his 15-16 season first then no one could take his 18-19 season as one of their current players?

also just want to confirm that aba players will be eligible as legacy picks.

6. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I'd like to play. Been a long while since I was in any of these. Plus you need a Boston fan in here to get everyone angry. Nya ha ha!
    Question though, are you open to amending the '18/'19 season thing? I like the concept of building around 2 legends, but how about any player who never made an all-star team, rather than limiting it to just a single season?

7. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Anyone in the whatif system is eligible.

I was going to mention that if someone played last year they could also be taken legacy, but then I’m not sure if the franchise rule should apply. I think so. I think if you want 18-19 curry you can’t take 16 curry because they’re both warriors. But does anyone have strong feelings about that?

@Dark Lord Of The Empire this was the initial idea but I’m certainly open to input if people want to give input. This was just an idea because the current season didn’t get to finish, but if people want more options when drafting I’m okay with shifting some rules around.

the main idea is building around 2 legends. So if we can figure something out to do with that that a consensus can agree on, that’s fine.

8. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I'd personally want to just go with what's already laid out. Seems interesting enough, and it's gonna be short (drafting is gonna take longer than the actual games) so there'll be plenty of ways to experiment next time.

tom likes this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think the fewer restrictions, the better. Make the franchise rule only apply to legend players, and make 18-19 players immune from it.

10. a star war

May 4, 2016
    But then how am I supposed to know which clone to shoot at the end of the draft?

Ok, so it will go, for example, someone can take Cleveland bron and heat bron, or 18 laker bron and Cleveland bron, but not all three, or legend rockets harden and current rockets harden, but not also okc harden. It’s still 2 per player.

more did you mean leave them out of it entirely? So yes to heat/Cleveland/laker Lebron

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The latter

12. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Sure whatever.

13. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I think if you stick with the '18/'19 theme, we should list which current guys we would consider to be a legacy pick, and there should only be one version of them. In reality, you'd want one of their seasons from their prime anyway over their '18/'19 versions.

I'm certain we would all agree to this list:

LeBron
    CP3
    Steph
    Durant
    Dwight Howard

Then there are guys we may be on the fence about like:
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Kawhi

Then everyone else would be '18/'19 as normal.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    as much as i want lloyd to have a team of all shaqs (again), i think limiting it to one instance of each player would really simplify this part and also possibly be more fun strategically.

just for example, say you're a curry fan. it's your turn and he's still on the board. you can take his 18-19 season and save a legacy pick, or you can go for his best season and use one of your two spots. either way you know that no one else can pick him.

i should point out that i don't really have a strong preference, and i think it will be fun any way we do it. this would just be my slight preference and also i don't think there are enough players who would be picked twice to really justify the franchise rule. i mean there's lebron for sure, and there's shaq. and that really might be it.

edit: and wilt of course.

15. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I can get behind that.

16. a star war

May 4, 2016
    No thanks.

I want people to have fun, but I also think there's so much talent for 8-12 teams that it doesn't matter either way.

If the idea is "build a team around two superstars", then it hardly makes sense to grab a steph curry from legacy and then also take him from 2018. I think that does make it more strategic to only get the player once, since you have a limited amount of quality to get from 2018, and juggling that specific Curry example is a decision I'd rather people are forced to make.

On the other hand, if someone wants to get silly, it's just a silly forum draft with a broken simulator. There are no stakes, so I don't want to be a tyrant.

tom likes this.
  17. a star war

May 4, 2016
    @Point Given
    @DarthIntegral
    @tom
    @Wang Chi
    @heels1785
    @mnjedi
    @RX_Sith
    @dp4m
    @LloydChristmas
    @Dark Lord Of The Empire

Ok, just @ing everyone who has signed up or expressed an interest. This is what I'm going to do.

Because it is my first time doing one of these things, I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible and say absolutely No Dupes. If you take a current player, but from an earlier year, you can't take them from 18-19.

If this means you're not playing, that's alright. We can certainly use some of the ideas expressed here in future drafts. For the time being, for this tournament, it's one and done. Just so I can get the hang of keeping track of an entire bracket of teams and players. In the future we can add more wrinkles. If this draft no longer appeals to you, that's alright, there will be more and this should be quick, so I hope you'll check it out next time. Until then, I hope you stick around to comment on the games and harangue the current group of players for making poor decisions.

heels1785 and tom like this.
  18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    *asks a simple question, clicks on thread to see the other narc has ruined multiple Shaqs*

[​IMG]

tom likes this.
  19. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Don't worry, next draft you will only be able to draft shaq.

tom and DarthIntegral like this.
  20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Sounds good!

21. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Ok, so it looks like we're probably gonna run with these 8?
    @Point Given
    @DarthIntegral
    @tom
    @Wang Chi
    @heels1785
    @mnjedi
    @RX_Sith
    @dp4m

I'll post draft order tomorrow and give it one more night for a couple of people to sign up while I get set up.

Just in case you aren't aware, this draft does use the Dream Team feature on whatifsports.com. You don't need to sign up, I'll be managing all of the teams from there.

However, if you do sign up, whatif has a very nice search function in their SimLeague game mode. This mode is behind a paywall, but you don't need to pay to use the search function. You get 1 free exhibition team when you register with whatif that doesn't ask for any payment info, and you can go to the draft center from there. So long as you don't finalize a team in that, you can keep searching as long as you want.

The search function has filters for team, season, position, and pretty much any stat you can think of. You can sort results by any of the stats you want, and can set parameters for up to 9 stats at a time (e.g. PPG can be set to a minimum of 25, turnovers can be set to a max 2, etc.). Results are displayed as individual seasons, which is what we're looking for in this draft.

Basketball-Reference.com is also a good source of statistics--in fact, I think it's where whatif gets most of their data--but has even more advanced stats than whatif, as well as leader lists, such as single season rebound leaders, etc.

Those are just a couple of statistical resources that I am familiar with. I thought it would be fair to anyone unfamiliar with this function to put it out there.

See ya tomorrow!

Point Given , mnjedi and tom like this.
  22. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    I just saw this. I'll, um, be on commentary then...

23. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Do you want to play? If someone else signs up today we can do 10.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  25. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Yeah if someone else signs up I'm down!