main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy A Breaking World: Of Alanvar and the Vyn'rath

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Chukles38, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    IC: Alleria Deron
    In a cave somewhere

Jordan turned to rummage through his pack, and in doing so turned his back to Alleria.

In a flash, it occurred to her that this would be the perfect moment to break free. A lick of flame - easy enough to conjure now that her hands were free - would take care of the bindings around her ankles, and then -

And then she would have to take Jordan out with another burst of fire, and Adam as well once he poked his head in to investigate the noise. For there would be noise; being burned to death was not a painless way to go. Alleria shuddered, remembering the boy strapped on a torture table, Alve circling him like a hawk ready to strike. How he had screamed.

In other words, to escape, she would have to kill two men, one of whom who had - aside from kidnapping her - done his best to be nice to her. After that, she would have to ... what? Go back to the mages? She had been trying to run away when she'd been kidnapped. Hide out on her own somewhere in the wilderness? If this was the Fire Kingdom, maybe; she'd be able to live off the land, inhospitable though it was, long enough to find her way back to her clan. The Derons were well-known enough that it could work, and even if it took a while, nomads tended to be kind to lost travellers.

But she'd never manage that in the Earth Kingdom. She had never even been outside the Mage Tower until the day before - she had no idea what plants were edible, what game could be found, and only the barest understanding of its geography. Even if there was a map or something in that pack Jordan was digging through, Alleria's control was shaky enough that she might end up setting everything alight in the process of escaping.

So ... Alleria tried to think as fast as she could through the faint mugginess in her brain ... she could try to escape and likely end up stranded in the middle of nowhere, or she could stay put and hope Jordan and Adam didn't mean too much harm.

Think. Why had they kidnapped her? Because she had come out of the Mage Tower. So they probably didn't like the Mages all that much... and if they disliked the Mages, maybe they were part of the Rebellion.
    If it existed at all, that is.
    She had heard rumours about the Rebellion, of course. Traitors, all of them, remnants of those had sided with the hated Vyn'rath however many years ago it had been (Magical History had not been her strong point). Officially, they were all dead and gone along with the dragonborn they had supported, but rumour had it they still existed. If they still existed, they might be sympathetic to runaway mages.

The idea that her kidnappers might actually be saving her was an idea Alleria considered with detached irony.

It was with that thought in mind that Alleria decided to stay. She drew up her knees to her chest and hugged them there, and remained in that position until Jordan turned back around and draped a warm blanket around her shoulders. Alleria pulled it around her a little tighter, enjoying the feeling of dry cloth against her skin.

"Thank you," she whispered again.

Awkward silence for a while, as Alleria tried to weigh pumping him for information against telling him why she'd been outside in the first place and maybe scoring some points towards winning him over.

She decided on the latter. "I'm not really a Mage, you know," she offered, doing her best to sound miserable, helpless and scared, which was easy considering she did feel rather miserable, helpless and scared. "I mean I was, but I- I was trying to run away when you - when you -" When you kidnapped me, she wanted to say, but she couldn't bring herself to be that accusatory. Instead, she changed her mind and went with the other tack. "Um, wh - where are we? Where are you taking me?"

TAG: Chuks

2. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    "Jordan draped the blanket over her, letting his hand rest on her shoulder for a brief moment. When she thanked him, he uttered a quiet, 'You're welcome.' Noticing his hand was still on her shoulder, he moved away, pretending to do... well, nothing, really. He looked once more at her. Could he....? No, definitely not. She was a mage. She was a captive. But... she was beautiful.

"Jordan was saved as Alleria spoke again, her voice quiet and a mixture of fear, fatigue, and sadness. It broke Jordan's heart. 'I'm not really a Mage, you know. I mean I was, but I- I was trying to run away when you - when you -' She broke off, and Jordan wondered what he could say. Once again she came to his rescue by speaking again. 'Um, wh - where are we? Where are you taking me?'

"Jordan didn't say anything, but moved back to his pack. He fished around until he found what he was looking for, and then moved over to sit next to her. He noticed his leg was just barely not touching hers, and he felt a slight blush on his face again, but managed to keep his composure otherwise. He looked at her. She was scared, that much was evident. As he spread a piece of paper out on his lap where Alleria could see, and in an attempt to comfort her, he cautiously wrapped his right arm around her shoulders. 'It'll be okay.' He said quietly. 'I won't hurt you. Promise... now, about that second part...'

"Jordan drew her attention to the map in his lap. His finger rested on the circle marking Neo Alanvar. 'Now, here is where we... we... picked you up.' His finger traced north to another marked town. 'We moved through the Lawless Forest towards this town here, Venlos.' His finger next circled around the village towards the mountains nearby. 'This is the Barrier, called that because it blocks almost the entire Earth Kingdom off from the Dark Kingdom.' His finger next moved up along the mountain range. 'We followed close to the Barrier, keeping well away from Venlos.' His finger moved west now. 'We took some easier routes through this part here, bringing us away from the Barrier. They aren't a pleasant mountain range to be around, you see.' His finger stopped. 'This is about where you woke up. Luckily, we'd made good time.' His finger moved a little bit further, towards a cluster of mountains at the very northern edge of the Barrier. 'We're about here, and here...' His finger stopped on the a fore mentioned cluster, 'Is where we are going. There is an encampment there in a valley, tucked away in the mountains.'

"Now that that was done, Jordan considered himself lucky that she hadn't again asked why they had taken her. In an attempt to keep that from happening, Jordan asked, 'Why were you running from the Mages?' His arm was still around her shoulder, and he briefly considered moving it, but decided to see if it made her uncomfortable first."

TAG: DarthXan318

3. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    Approved!

Name: A'ltar "Altar" Harond
    Weight: 190
    Height: 5'10"
    Appearance: Very light blond hair, kept in a thick braided ponytail that extends down to between his shoulder blades. Light blue eyes. Lightly muscular body from regular excerscising & training as a hobby. Pale skin, but not sickly pale.
    Home Kingdom: Light Kingdom
    Personality: Altar is a very loyal, and stuborn man. He has a mild disposition, often speaking in a very light, soft voice but he also has a temper and isn't above tangents of yelling and flailing his arms about when he's lost it.

Affiliation: Free Peoples Rebellion
    Rank: Corporal, Formerly of the rank "Mage" within the Mages of Alanvar

Mage
    -Primary Element: Light

Weapon of Preference:
    Starfall, Staf of Unity (Draconic name to come later)

A magical collaspable staff, unbreakable by normal means capable of channeling magic through it. While it doesn't allow its users spells to become more powerful it helps them concentrate them into more focused forms. Spells can also be channeled into it and released when stuck, it is also capable of storing a spell for a short period of time.

Biography:
    Altar was born within the Light Kingdom, in the city of Illon. When he was around 13 years old he discovered he had the capability within him to manipulate magic. This actually didn't make Altar very happy as he had always wanted to join the military, in a way he saw this as fate stepping in and giving his dreams a rather swift kick in the happy bits. Needless to say before he could even have a chance to join the Military as was his wish, the Mages stepped up, and pulled him in.

Altar was never one to fight fate, but he was never one to give up on his dreams either. During his training and time as a Mage's Apprentice he found the time to exercise, to keep his body at the same peek efficiency as his mind, he even took up training with a pole-staff to challenge himself. He read what books he could about military training at first. But in time, he found himself drawn into the mages training more and more.

His trips to the Library all but ceased, his time taken up by either his time as an Apprentice, or off somewhere practicing to keep his physical conditioning up. He kept this up, always challenging himself, even after he finally graduated to the rank of Mage. But then everything changed, then came the realization of what was happening to the world outside of his training. He realized the corruption going on, and found his stomach turned. What he had accepted to aspire to become, was no longer in his eyes a bastion of greatness but something darker. So Altar left.

Well fled was more like it. He ran, taking everything he could carry with him. His clothes, his staff, books from the library he deemed important, Two on light magic, and one on History. And he kept running, till he realized he had nowhere to run too. He couldn't return to the Light Kingdom, it would do no good. He certainly could not return to the mages, even if they took him back he would simply be a tool for their corruption. So Altar sought out the Rebellion, in hopes that what skills he had as a Mage, could help them win back freedom and justice from those he had once called his Masters.

4. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    "We now shift our gaze away from the security of the valley tucked away in the Barrier, from the cave in the Lawless Forest, from the cares and strife of a war. Of all the wonders and all the lands in our fair Gilanore, the Light Kingdom is the one that you must see. As time moved from past to present, present to future, the Light Kingdom has always retained its splendor. From the daylight, that shines so pure and bright, to the nights, illuminated by the Sparks of Illentir. Ah, they are splendid beyond the expression of words. Their true name, given by the Dragons themselves, is long since lost. It was said that merely hearing it, whispered on the winds, would bring you a sense of beauty and inspiration as never before felt..." The bard sighed and grew silent, a melancholy expression on his face. At length, he continued.

"Even a land so bright, however, has its own share of darkness. Deep in the earth of one of the Islands, a mile or so north of Illon, are caverns. Once mines run by the Mages themselves, the Council saw fit to close it down thirty years before, collapsing the shafts in on themselves, miners still within. No one knows why the Mages closed it. No one knew what they mined. No one knew why there was now a lone man, a mage, deep within the mines, a small glowing stone his only source of light.

"He moved down the dark tunnels, the air stuffy and stale. He stepped carefully over the rubble that was strewn about, and several times he had to find alternate routes due to collapsed tunnels. At length, he came to two tunnels. Go right, go left, which one? As he decided, he heard a noise, and he stopped, hiding the stone beneath his clothing. He listened intently... and heard it again. And again. Closer, and closer. Footsteps, voices. The echos were horrid. Did they come from the right or the left? The voices, the footsteps, the stale air.... it all pressed in on him as he hurried to make a decision."

TAG: Kahn_Iceay

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Lor Amherst
    Tent, Rebel Camp

Once again, the ragtag group of travelers were gathered together within a tent in the rebel camp, poised in front of their leader as if they were some sort of prize. The truth was, Lor didn't consider anything of what they've done special. They were all simply thrust into the action - being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They were only fighting to survive and now the rebel leader interpreted that struggle for survival as a desire to join this group. Well, he was wrong. The man was seated in his elevated chair, scrutinizing them as he described their need for competent fighting men. It felt more like an interrogation and Lor was instantly suspicious. Of course, he recognized the wishes of some of the others of the campfire group to join the rebellion, but he still couldn't help but think that it was a poor choice.

Of course, there were other alternatives to joining the group. Lor had discovered that for himself over the past several years through his travels. All it took was lending a hand where appropriate, slaying the wicked to save a life, protecting the innocent and providing them a safe haven from evil. And all of this could be accomplished without signing one's life away to an official cause with obligations. Lor was still making a difference for the land and that's all that mattered.

Repositioning the sword slung across his shoulder blades, Lor politely dipped his head and backed his way out of the center of the group, allowing the shadows licking the corners of the tent to engulf him. "I'm willing to take that risk," he rumbled in a deep baritone, referring to the possibility of the Mages hunting him down, as he raised his eyes to meet the gaze of the leader. "I can help out where I can, but I'm not signing my name to any contract."

Without another word, he nodded and turned to step out of the tent. Saber was tied outside and waiting for him.

TAG: Chukles, Rebellion folks

6. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    Altar Harond
    Old Mines

The past two years had been quite something for Altar. First he spent a few months fleeing from the Mages, never pausing to long. He was afraid, which was new, he hadn't felt fear in all his time with the Mages, he'd felt safe, secure. He came to both both love and hate that fear. Love, cause it gave him a sense of excitement, something he'd really lacked in his years in the Mages Tower. The adrenaline that got pumping made him feel invincible like he could take on the world.

But it never lasted. It always faded, the adrenaline, not the fear. Without that rush, the insecurity that came along with fear wore on Altar. He wasn't used to not knowing the outcome of the next day, let alone the next hour. Then he'd found the Rebellion and a sense of familiarity slowly began to form. That was a year ago. It was nice to again have some form of certainty about the world, people to rely in, not being on your own. But again, that was a year go. Things were different right now. And once again, Altar felt fear.

He knew the mission was important, he knew he had to do it, but dammit all he was wandering through a series of tunnels probably full of dead men and he was alone. At first it wasn't so bad, once you got used to the stuffy air and not being able to see far. But then you started to hear things, rocks moving, foot steps. Its all part of your imagination he'd tell himself. Then he came to the divide in the tunnel. And again came the foot steps, but more then that Voices. Ok that is not my imagination he thought to himself as he gripped his staff tightly. Left, right, left right, which way! Closing his eyes for a moment Altar took a deep breath, and with out thinking, moved, as quickly and quietly as possible, down the right path. In all hopes he wasn't going to run face first into a something or someones unpleasant.

Tag: Chuks

OOC: Turns to page 31...

7. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    In a cave somewhere

Alleria wasn't entirely comfortable with that arm around her shoulders, but he meant well in his own way ... or so she hoped. She decided to just accept the warmth of it and not make things awkward by pitching a fit.

Yes, and letting him could be useful for other reasons, the little voice at the back of her head murmured. Shut up, she told it.

So she nodded attentively as Jordan traced their route on a map. It dawned on her that it was a very good thing she hadn't decided to try for an escape. Even with a map, there was no way she would've figured out where she was - 'somewhere in the forest' would've been the best she got, and the forest was big.

She did not miss how Jordan didn't say what sort of encampment this was, precisely, or whose it was. But she could guess. The map ended abruptly at the top in a jagged line, but Alleria suspected the half-torn-through word above 'encampment' had once been 'Rebel'.

'Why were you running from the Mages?' Jordan asked abruptly.

Alleria stiffened. She should have known that question was coming. Eventually, she said, "I saw something I shouldn't have. My teacher ... I found him torturing a man." She let out a dry chuckle. "Man ... he couldn't have been older than sixteen ... he was just a kid and he was burning his flesh off in strips anyway." Her fists clenched on the blanket. That was what Alve did in secret - that was what she had been defending, however unknowingly, to that old man in the tavern. She felt sick all over again. "I won't have a part in anything so ... so vile."

8. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    "Jordan nodded slowly as she spoke. His gaze became distant as his thoughts drifted off on their own path. At length, he spoke, his voice distant. 'There are a lot of stories like yours. Normal, ordinary people who were just living their lives, had no problems with the Mages.' He drifted off again, not even aware that his arm was still draped over her shoulders. Time moved on as the fire crackled, until Jordan spoke once more. 'I was five. Playing in the field, running between the corn. From there, I saw a group of soldiers move towards my house. My parents met them.'

"Jordan stopped again as his mind replayed the scene. 'I didn't hear what happened. Only saw it. I was told it was something... so silly, so small. There was a Mage there, froze... well... he killed my parents.' Jordan stopped, not wanting to tell the rest. At length, he started. 'Oh, uh.... I'm, I'm sorry.' He shook his head to clear it. 'I guess I got carried away.'

"Jordan stood abruptly and moved away, embarrassed. She was his captive, right? After breathing out a sigh, he looked over at her. 'Um... do you want to walk from here? I mean... I can carry you, I guess, but if you behave, you can get some freedom.' The young man paused briefly. 'Though... I'm in a tight spot. Having told you where we are going... I can't really let you escape. Sorry about that.' He ran his hand through his hair nervously as he waited for what she would say."

TAG: DarthXan318

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

"Back in the tunnels of the ruined mines, Altar rushed to his right. He paused to listen, and heard the echoed voices come closer, though now obviously in the other tunnel. It soon became apparent that it was two guards talking. '......just don't see why we're here. We're told to patrol this ruin, and we don't even know what in the name of the gods is down here.'

"'Hey, just be grateful they rotate us twice a week. If we had to be down here every day, I don't know what the.......' The voices trailed away as the guards moved past Altar's tunnel and on the way he had come just moments before. It had been close, but he survived the incident without being detected. However, he was unfortunate, for if he had heard the conversation only moments after their voices had faded, he'd have learned that there are things far worse than guards in the depths of these caverns."

9. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    Altar Harond
    Old Mines

Altar leaned against the walls of the mine and caught his breath. Guards? Why are guards here? He knew the mines were closed, had been since just before he was born. He knew the place was important for, some reason the Council never shared. But he knew there was something in the mines he had to find, those crystals the Rebellion was looking for. He knew they were down here, why or what for he didn't know, it really didn't matter. All that mattered was that he get them and get out, and the fact that there were Guards now meant it would be much harder.

Satisfied that the guards were far enough away he pulled out the crystal and examined his surroundings, not that there was much to see. Rock and rock, with the occasional wooden support beam, your average mine, if anything the Mages saw fit to shutdown was average. Now he had time to decide on what to do, he could continue down the right path into the dark, or he could go the way the Guards had come from. Both had their highs and lows.

If he chose the right path he might not encounter any guards at all, but he might also encounter other things, or go in the wrong direction. But if he chose the other path, he knew there was a smaller chance of running across something unforeseen, but a higher chance of guards. Plus the guards had to be guarding something, and chances are what they were guarding was important. If it was important it was probably worth investigating. Taking a deep breath, and checking again to see if the guards were far enough away, Altar hurried back to the left, and down the path the guards had come from.

Tag: Chuks

10. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    In a cave, Earth Kingdom

Alleria breathed out. Mages ... mages had done that. Orphaned a five-year-old boy for some stupid reason, and probably would've killed him as well had he been in the house. That was what the Mages of Alanvar did.

To think she had once wanted to be one of them.

Abruptly Jordan stood, seemingly embarrassed. With a sigh, he asked if she would rather walk - the offer Alleria had been hoping but not truly expecting to get. A heartfelt smile spread over her face. "Would you really?" she said, relieved. "I'll behave - I won't escape. I mean -" her smile turned wry "- where would I go?"

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Orml Chal
    Rebel Camp

Orml had had a pleasant enough time minding his own damn business, and he had been able to suppress any long mental strolls. The end result was that he was feeling rather relaxed and he was not particularly pleased when the rebels decided he needed to be rounded up - along with the rest of the gang from the campfire - and brought before yet another Rebellion officer. Bureaucracy was, at the least, one point of similarity between them and the mages. There were others, but you didn't mention those in front of armed guards. Period.

There was a recruitment pitch, of some sort. Orml wasn't really paying attention, he already knew his answer. He was about to reply when he was interrupted by another - one who's name he had never managed to get. For whatever that was worth. He was apparently willing to help out, but not commit. Something of a non-answer. It was basically a yes with an escape clause, no real commitment, no real force of presence.

"No thanks," Orml replied, "I don't fight for any cause. I'm a lover, not a fighter. Since you insist on keeping me around, anyway, I'll try to stay out of your way. Good day... evening... does anybody really know what time it is?" He strolled out the door. "Does anybody really care? About time?"

He had left out a crucial detail about how he especially didn't fight for hypocrites, but he figured they got the point. He walked back over to his tree, whistling a tune he wasn't sure he knew in the first place, and sat down. And for the first time in the last few days, he felt really, truly content.

TAG: Chuks, Campfire Crew, Peng

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Leocanto Ravelle
    Rebel Camp

The dancer took one look at the barefoot man's departing form and smirked. He looked back at Xavier. "You call me friend, yet lock me up; you call me a thief, yet want my help..."

A chuckle escaped his lips. "To be honest, it made a lot more sense when your thugs were bruising their knuckles on me."

He turned and left the tent, pausing on his way out. "I'll make you a deal. If I commit so much as one more larcenous act in your camp, you'll have at least the services of my blade."

And with that, Leocanto Ravelle left behind his captor.

Easier said than done, of course. He was still a captive to the camp, at least for the next while, and that was not an enjoyable thought to the dancer. Haven't been down south yet, have we? No, we haven't. So down south we shall go. That was as good a plan as any. Head down south, find women, wine and coin. Life would be good again. Walking through the camp, he noticed the barefoot man sitting under a tree. Leocanto sidled up slowly, looking down on the man with a confused look upon his face.

"This all you're going to do, then?"

Tag: Ramza, Chuks, Tent folk

13. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Igrene
    Rebellion Camp

She looked up and coughed, Lyle was giving her a look she had a hard time interpreting. But she reutrned with her smile. It grew better, more natural. Actually. Something was in it, that felt true now. He had talked to her not like she was freak, but like she was just someone. She had returned and talked as if she had to pretend. Maybe she should try showing her true . . . no, no, mabye later. Too important to make mistakes.

"Oh yeah, yeha I am in. So how do we find more mages and how do we plan to kill them?" She asked as if it was the natural next point of talks.

"And I would love to learn how to use one of those!" She pointed to Lyle and his bow and arrow. She had actually begun thinking why the monks had made her hunt animals stronger and faster than her, when this weapon did obviously counter such advantges. Maybe they had trained her for something else. Maybe. "If you have time to teach me how to use it, that means, Lyle."

She smiled. And caught herself, she had not decided to, but did it naturally. Naturally. She had not considered that to be part of Igrene.

Tag: Sarge221, others

14. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    IC: Lyle Zahara
    Rebel Camp, Tent

The man named Lor started off. He was the one Lyle knew the least - never having had a chance to speak with him - and thus was a bit of a wild card to whether he would be a new member of the Rebellion. He continued to be such, having stated that, while he was willing to help, he was not going to "sign his name to a contract". So not a soldier but more of an ally to the Rebellion in his own way. It was admirable to find his own way to good deeds to the archer so he didn't have much in terms of complaints.

Orml was next, and he came to the decision that Lyle figured he would come to. Which would be no. A bit of an impolite no at that if the archer was listening to the man correctly. It wasn't the first time that he was forced to frown at the man's words. It wasn't that he was annoyed at the man he was just...annoyed at the man. From when he had seemed to look down at Lyle for having killed soldiers to save their lives, the archer just knew he was going to have a hard time seeing eye-to-eye with this one. Pacifism was all well and good but when you're going to seemingly roll over and die for it it just seemed silly to Lyle.

He may try to talk with him later.

"You call me friend, yet lock me up; you call me a thief, yet want my help..."

Lyle raised a brow at the next man that spoke, having no idea who he was whatsoever. He turned to Xavier, pointing the raised brow in his direction with a tilt of his head, wondering what the story was here. Knowing that he probably wasn't going to get an explanation at this very moment, Lyle looked back at the man, listened to the "deal" he was making, and then left.

The hunter stared at the entrance to the tent...and then grinned. Whoever he was, Lyle liked him. Looks like he may've found a new drinking buddy.

Igrene was another that proved Lyle's observations correct. Except this was a lot more pleasant then it was with Orml. Even with her seeming fixation on killing mages, Lyle grinned before bowing his head just a little and raising his arms to hide it and to smother the chuckle that wanted to come out. Her seemingly coldness and fixation on killing mages aside, he was really starting to like her; perhaps even considering her as someone fun to be around. And not in the more mature kind of way either which was a somewhat rare occurrence but not unheard of from the womanizing hunter.

It seemed like he was going to get a chance to know her even better when she pointed towards his bow.

"If you have time to teach me how to use it, that means, Lyle."

"Not a problem," Lyle replied, raising his head back up and giving Igrene another grin. His bow slung over his shoulder, Lyle gestured towards it while giving her a wink. "A couple lessons with me and you'll be a natural with this."

He would've continued speaking but, with a glance at Xavier, Lyle kept his mouth shut. There was still a meeting going on and not everyone had decided to leave or join just yet.

TAG: Sirak, Chukles, Tent Folk

15. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    IC: Fynn Thrinsata
    Rebel Camp, Tent

Fynn hated feeling trapped.

The tent was not exceedingly small in actual size, at least as much as Fynn?s experience dictated. Nor did it give the impression of being physically cramped, for that matter. But that did not stop Fynn from being assaulted by the illusion of lack of freedom. And it made her uncomfortable.

She glanced around the ?small? space at her motley companions, willing herself to conceal her emotions while discretely gathering every fragment of information possible. It was a skill she had acquired and perfected through years of cruel living, but it seemed to be failing her when she felt she needed it most. Perhaps she was trying too hard. This train of thought was soon obsolete, as the man in the chair spoke.

?I have been informed of what happened last night and this morning, and in all honestly I am impressed with what young Lyle here has told me. I?ll be blunt. The Free Peoples Rebellion could use you.? He paused briefly, seemingly collecting his thoughts.

So this was the reason for their unsuspected summoning. Fynn?s right hand tightened into a trembling fist, and her heart began to beat wildly against her eardrums. Breathing slowly through her nose, she struggled to tame her mounting pulse.

?However, I cannot demand you join our cause. We respect the rights of individuals to join or go their own way. I would ask that you let me know now. However, regardless I will ask you to remain here for the next three days. The camp will be moving then, and for security reasons, you will not be allowed to leave.?

Xavier looked briefly at Ellicia. ?Your people will be free to make use of this valley in our absence. If we return, it will not be for quite some time.?

Xavier next turned to Leocanto. ?This offer extends to you, as well, young thief.?

He turned now to the group at large. ?I will warn you, that should you choose to separate from us, we cannot protect you. Should the Mages find you have been even near us, you will not be safe. I feel I must warn you of that.? Xavier fell silent, awaiting their responses.

?I will join you,? Fynn said, her words leaping from her throat as if possessed of a will far mightier than her own. ?I will join you,? she said again, the phrase sounding even more foreign the second time.

Every movement Fynn made, every passion and every motive that she had possessed since the beginning of her short life, had been in service only to herself: for her next moment, her next day, her next shelter. But now it was different. Now, she had no shelter. She had pledged herself to something that was bigger than herself, larger than her own life, too massive and too complex for her to control.

Fynn hated feeling trapped. But she would never be able to live with the alternative.

TAG: Tent people.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Orml Chal
    Under the Tree, Outskirts of the Rebel Camp

"This all you're going to do, then?"

Orml looked up amidst the haze of his fireweed, recognizing the... exceptionally mildly familiar face of the only person in the tent he had not recognized. They had called him a thief, or something to that effect. But a stealer of goods was not a stealer of lives, generally, and there was something to be said for that. "As they will most certainly go out of there way to harm me should I try to, I cannot leave," the wanderer replied, stretching slightly before leaning back up against the tree, his arms folded behind his head. "I do not agree with them, so I will not help them. As I will not help them, I cannot expect any help from them. Therefore... yes, I believe this shall be the extent of my activities for the day," he chuckled, extending a handshake.

"Well met, by the way. The name's Orml Chal, but I'm quite content with just Orml, as I have no love for Chal. If that makes sense. Might I be so bold as to inquire as to your name? Somehow, 'thief' doesn't really seem to fit. Particularly considering who used it." He chuckled again.

TAG: Peng

17. WINKWINK

WINKWINK Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2008
    Elicia Bathory
    Command tent.

[i]The use of this valley, the use of a fertile defensable land, we can finally grow crops rather than having to pillage and steal.[/i]

Elicia smiled

[i]I won't have to kill anymore[/i]

And then she thought of her father, of the families killed by the Mages. Of the man in the forest who would not live. Her smile left her.

[i]How long would we have? a few years? It will never stop.[/i] She looked to the man who had been talking as others left the tent. Then she looked to Skillian, who had not spoken yet. Why she looked to him she did not know, but as she did she thought. [i]Unless we stop it.[/i]

With that thought she stepped forward "My named is Elicia Bathory, Blademaster of the Light Kingdom and Duaghter of Lord Renold Bathory"

She took a breath and then continued " I have witnessed first hand many times the cruelty and ruthlessness of the Mages, seen families slaughtered, land stolen, people enslaved. I've watched as our "Protecters" turned with great cunning into monsters."

She looked the man Lyle had called Boss in the eye "I have no doubt many of my people will take your offer and remain here, but I cannot, I need to make a difference."

She smiled at the man "And just think about the difference having a Blademaster train your army can make"

[i]This is what I'm meant for[/i]

[hr]

TAG Tent people and chuckles

18. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    IC: Skillan Iarnsen
    ~Rebel camp - tent~

Skillan had listened to the commander of the rebels and listened to the others as well, but still he didn't say anything. He didn't really know what to think of it all.

It was only after Ell had spoken up, that he made a decision - for now.

"I'll stay, at least for a while," he said softly. He had to, he needed to learn more. He knew too little of what was going on in the rest of the world outside his small and isolated village. And all he had right now was snippets of information, gleaned from the few stories told to him by different people. He didn't like the image those stories painted. Didn't like what he had seen on the battlefield, how mages had set out to kill people who as far as he could tell didn't seem to be criminals. Mages, the ones who were supposed to protect everyone.

And if he ever wanted to find out where he originally came from, who the people were he was born to, he would have to start interacting with others, ask questions.

But....

He looked the rebel commander straight in the eye. "But I won't kill people, not unless there really is no other choice. If fighting battles like the one we saw is what you want to do, I'm not going to be a part of it. I'm a hunter and that also makes me a good scout, but I'm not a soldier."

And he didn't want to become one.

"Battles should be avoided, not sought out," he added softly, more to himself than to anyone else.

TAG: all in the tent, chuckles

19. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    ?Altar moved slowly through the tunnels, keeping his eyes open for any signs of more guards. However, there seemed to be little, and the mage continued his progress. He soon learned that this level of mines was more or less a straight line leading to a ladder that descended to a lower level. With nowhere else to go and the guards beginning to come back his way, Altar began to climb down the ladder.

?It was a long climb, longer than he thought it would be. After some time, his feet hit stone again. As he moved onward, it became clear that he had entered the main parts of the mines. From what he had heard previous to entering these caverns, it was an extensive mining complex. He moved carefully through the debris of the cave, though still marveling that, despite the Mages supposedly destroying it, the caverns seemed incredibly intact.

?He passed through several large chambers, made by slaves and workers in their efforts to find the precious material that Altar himself sought. However, despite his searching, he could see nothing of the crystals he was sent to find. As he moved deeper and deeper into the mine, he became increasingly aware of a strange howling and moaning sound, accentuated at times by a growl. At first, it could be passed off as merely the wind moving through the abandoned caves, but as the sounds grew closer, it was clear that it was far more than wind.?

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

?Xavier listened quietly as each individual responded. From what little Lyle had said, some of the decisions were hardly surprising. As Lyle gestured towards the departing Leocanto, Xavier gestured subtly to say drop it for the time being, trying to say silently that he would explain later. The leader remained pensive as the three left, and then looked intently at the others. Lyle flirted slightly, and an amused grin came across Xavier?s face.

?The young girl, Fynn, expressed her interest in joining, and Xavier nodded respectfully. ?Your help will be most appreciated, young one.?

?As Elicia responded, the amused smile flashed back across Xavier?s face. ?Oh, I am certain that that will help indeed, my lady.? Xavier said, amusement in his voice, ?Though for the time being I have other plans for you.?

?Lastly, Xavier listened intently to the Skillan, thoughtfully considering his words as the younger man expressed no interest in becoming a soldier. As Skillan fell silent, Xavier spoke again. ?I understand, my friend, and will not ask you to become what you do not wish to be. My plans currently have other uses for you.?

?Xavier paused, looking around meaningfully at the others. ?The rest is for all of you. We, the Free Peoples Rebellion, do not enjoy combat. We do not fight for the sake of killing men. We do not strive for bloodshed and avoid it as we can. However, war is an inevitable and unavoidable fact of life.? Xavier paused, then stood, his gaze still shifting to each face. ?We fight for the freedom of the peoples of Gilanore. You?ve heard some of the crimes the Mages of Alanvar have committed from this young woman,? Xavier gestured towards Elicia, ?and there are many more stories like hers. That is why we fight. That is why we do what is found to be so distasteful. We are honored to have you by our side. As I previously mentioned, we leave in three days time. Until then, relax and prepare however you need. Speak with our quartermasters for equipment. We will, of course, keep a close eye on you. Trust must be earned, but we will treat you with the same level of respect that you show us.?

?Xavier looked up as a man slipped partly into the tent, gesturing to his leader. Xavier nodded slightly. ?Now, if you will excuse me, there is a matter of business I must attend to.? Xavier turned to Lyle. ?Corporal, if you could stay a moment?? The others quickly left the command tent.?

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

?South of the encampment, the rain was letting up as Jordan looked on Alleria[/

20. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Leocanto Ravelle
    The Tree

He turned back to the lazy Orml. "And I'm Leocanto Ravelle. I hold both names in high regard, though not all who bear them are worth regarding. Thief's as good a name as any, though."

He looked about. "What the hell am I going to do for three whole days?"

As it turned out, not a lot.

"That is [i]it![/i] Orml, we are leaving. We're going to go somewhere warm. There will be women and wine and plenty of coin but most importantly the women and the wine and the coin."

Then Xavier showed up. Leocanto stiffened, ready for further recruitment, but he sent them on their way without much ado.

"I'll be damned. Someone up there decided to cut me a break."

[b]Tag: Ramz, Solo[/b]

21. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    IC: Skillan Iarnsen
    ~Valley~

Skillan watched the leader of the rebellions walk away and then looked at the map in his hand. He unrolled it. Illentir... yes, there it was, deep within the Light kingdom.

He still was unsure if he had made the right decision, but being sent out to help someone was something he could definitely live with. And the Light Kingdom was as good as any place to try and find some traces of his origins. Added to that, he would be going with two who came from there.

Because at least that much he had learned about the small girl who was standing with him and Ell, smaller even than him: her name, Fynn and that she, like Ell, was from the Light Kingdom.

It also would make him the odd one out, again. But he was used to that, wasn't he?

He knelt down at his new travel equipment, compliments of the rebellion and some of Ell's people, to stow the map in the old and worn backpack he now possessed. But it was made of weatherproof leather and the narrow, tapering shape of it was handy for someone who also had a bow and quiver to carry, a quiver that was pleasantly full again. He was also glad for the bedroll the old woman still had insisted he'd take and a cape, more suited for these warmer climates than the one he had left all those days ago aside the fire where the path that had landed him here had began. He wondered briefly about the boy who had been with them that night.

When he stood, pack in hand, ready to go, he took a last look at those of Ell's people who would try and live here, in this sheltered valley. He hoped they would be safe, he had come to like some of them very much. He turned to Ell, still avoiding talking directly to Fynn, who made him uneasy. It was something in her eyes, and in the way her appearances sometimes seemed to... change.

"Are you sure you want to leave them?" he asked. She had surprised him many times since he had met her, but that she had decided to join the rebellion instead of staying with those she had been leading, still surprised him the most.

TAG: Winkwink, QGR, Chuckles - and any of the others who want to

22. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Rebel Encampment, Earth Kingdom

As the Commander led Alleria away from the tent, she couldn't help throwing a glance over her shoulder at Jordan and Alestraves. Somehow, she wasn't surprised to find that the mysterious stranger she had met back in the city was a Rebel too - it should have been obvious from the start. What wasn't obvious was why he was vouching for her now, seeing as she had denied knowing anything about what he was talking about.

Jordan ... he was avoiding her eyes now, and Alleria felt a stab of guilt. She wasn't a spy, but she also knew that wasn't why Jordan had let her walk into the camp unrestrained. She wished she hadn't done it now. It would have been better for him to bring her in bound and gagged.

But there was no help for it now. All she could do was cooperate, and that meant letting this man escort her out.

[i]Three Days Later[/i]

She might have been vouched for, but nonetheless everyone seemed to be following Xavier's first directive - [i]keep her under close watch; do not trust her.[/i] Alleria had never been under such intense, wary scrutiny before, and it made her feel very uncomfortable. She kept to herself and tried not to ask too many questions.

It came as a relief when Xavier summoned her to his tent once again, this time with an assignment.

Alleria took that in the spirit in which it must have been given: as a test. Send her to recruit a group of mages from her home kingdom, in advance of what must be a party from the Mages of Alanvar to do the same thing. See what she could do, let her prove her worth ... and should she prove to be a spy, there were three others there to stop her from betraying them.

As she wasn't planning on being a traitor, that suited her just fine.

"I'll do my best, sir," Alleria said with a nod. "My family is from the Fire Kingdom, and I'm familiar with that area."

She followed the others out.

[b]TAG: Chuks, Trim, Sarge, Sirak[/b]

23. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    IC: Lyle Zahara
    Rebel Camp, Command Tent

Lyle was happy to see that the next two - who were both women of course - had decided to join; Fynn with no questions asked and no strings attached and Elicia, though unwilling to fight, was willing to help the Rebellion in other ways such as training which was fine for Lyle. With recruits always coming in it was nice that they had themselves a trainer...and with a memory of a certain incident at the caravan Lyle thought that it was nice to have a trainer such as her.

Skillian broke that chain though. A promise of staying for a while but other then that...just some "wisdom" about battles needing to be avoided. Yeesh, people seemed to be trying to make out the Rebellion as the bad guys instead of...oh...the Mages that are overthrowing, killing, maiming, stealing, etc.

"Now, if you will excuse me, there is a matter of business I must attend to."

Well, that was it then it seemed. All that was really left was to see how many of Elicia's band would join up but he wasn't needed for that. He raised a foot to follow the others out of the tent-

"Corporal, if you could stay a moment?"

And planted it right back down while he turned with a tilted head to Xavier.

Seemed that the day wasn't gonna end just yet when Jordan and Adam - two that Lyle knew - appeared in the tent...with a pretty little companion coming in behind them. A Mage, as she was soon identified, but that didn't stop Lyle from giving her his usual up-and-down inspection. Young, probably just at the edge of womanhood and Lyle could easily imagine what kind of woman this one will turn out to be. Slender, tanned, and the amber eyes. Lyle killed the idea of letting out a low whistle as, currently, her presence was being heavily discussed with Xavier.

That was until Ale...Alesta...Aletavo...that guy with the hat who Lyle had seen advising with Xavier more then once appeared to vouch for the pretty mage. Well, that seemed to settle it right then and there, with Xavier seeming to accept her into their little Rebellion now.

"Commander, please escort this young lady to a place where she can stay, comfortably."

Lyle glanced at Xavier, then looked towards Sassana and Valen figuring he meant one of them....and then he glanced back down at Xavier when he saw that he was looking at him. He glanced back up at the two....then at Xavier again who was now smiling-

"Yes, that was a promotion, for your excellent work thus far. I hope you shall continue to do so in the future."

That caused Lyle to stand up straight, his eyes - having now widened just a bit - still on Xavier as if trying to find the joke behind this. There wasn't any. He saluted - a bit too quickly at that, causing his hand to hit and bounce off his forehead -, speaking a "Yes sir" before turning and escorting the Mage out of the tent to find her a comfortable place to stay as he was ordered.

-----

So...Commander Lyle Zahara.

A nice ring to it the archer thought to himself for the hundredth time during the three days since his promotion. At first he didn't know what to think of that. Initially, the thought of Commander was immediately followed with "responsibilities" which translated to "boring work" but all he had to think about was the perks that could come with it. A raise in rank meant a bit more fame and worth...especially in the eyes of the ladies and, when Lyle had helped with some of the recruiting for members of Elicia's band that wanted to join, that logic proved to be valid.

He didn't shirk his other duties of course...such as the one he promised to another lady. Igrene had wanted to learn the art of the bow and arrow and Lyle did his best to appease her during the three days that passed. Finding a bow, getting some arrows, he at least taught her the basics of using it on the targets that were within the encampment. Put the arrow on the string, pull it back, and shoot in the general direction to where you wanted

24. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    OOC: I'm an idiot! I had gotten so used to the seperation between the rebel group and us loose canons, that I totally overlooked that Valen is coming along as well, sorry Ktala!

Can we just pretend Skillan wearily kept an eye on Valen like he does with Fyn? [face_praying]

25. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Rebel Encampment, Earth Kingdom

Alleria looked at the map and shook her head. No - the Ice Kingdom suited her just fine. Away from Neo Alanvar was, to her mind, the ideal direction. And this way half their journey would take place in the Fire Kingdom.

She wondered if they would come across the Deron clan. What would her family say if they knew she had run away from the Mages and joined the rebellion? Her parents hadn't thought very much of her leaving in the first place, so it probably wouldn't concern them too much - nomadic traders tended to care little for governments, insofar as they were left alone to do their business.

Either way: Ice Kingdom. Good plan.

"That sounds good to me."

TAG: Chuks, Trim, Sarge, Sirak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.