main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A call for visual effects help for Star Wars: The Soft Drink Menace

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Due to the high number of effects shots in my fanfilm, I wondered if anyone out there who wants to take a shot at rotoscoping lightsaber blades would be interested. I know I've complained in the past about people asking me to do effects for them. BUT I am not asking anyone specifically by name. This is strictly a volunteer basis. If you don't want to help, then that's cool. If you want to practice your lightsaber rotoscoping skills, then here is your chance. You will be asked to rotoscope maybe 20 seconds of footage. However, you WILL NOT add glows or composite this over footage, or even render it out. You will just sent me the After Effects file of the roto matte against a black background. It will be rendered by either myself or by Codepoett. You will be sent uncompressed DV footage of only your part of the saber battle. However, if anyone has a suggestion of how to compress it, but still be able to keep the saber dowels visiable enough to rotoscope, would be helpful. If you can, please show me a sample of your lightsaber rotoscoping skills that you have already done. Thank you.

2. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    If I get this right, you only want ppl to send you the black layer with the white line, so you can transfer mode it to "screen" later, huh? Depending on what method YOU will use for glows, we will need to round the tip or not.
    Personally, if you just want a white line over the dowel, I could do that in AE for you but... I wanna appear in the credits! Bwahahahahhohohuhahurhuafcough...cough.. ak! 'Scuse me, I don't laugh much.

Carl

3. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    No, you don't even how to render the sequence. You just have to rotoscope the footage and then save the rotoscoping as an After Effects file. The extension on this file is called *****.aep It stands for After Effects Project. It's bascially like a PSD file you would make with Photoshop, except it's for After Effects. That way, you can just sent the file over and it's usually only about 1 MB in size. Much eaiser than sending over a HUGE footage file. That way, I can use that After Effects file to render out the actual glows. And NO, don't round the tips. I will take care of that. Thanks guys.

4. Shadow-of-the-sith

Shadow-of-the-sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    ahhh:( i wish i could help...but i do not have after effects i know how to do sabers in after effects but i do have it :( i could do it in alamDV if you want and export it against a blue or green backgruond :)

5. Maul316

Maul316 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    What do you expect the overall file size of the footage to be?

6. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    So count me in then, Pix' just tell me if you have any deadlines.

Carl

7. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Humm, that might work Shadow-Of-The-Sith. however, would it be possible for you to render that against a black background? Also, I would need to figure out some mode of compression so that the file size isn't too large. HUMMM.

8. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Whatever 20 seconds of uncompressed DV footage is, Maul316. However, you guys may know more about compression than I do, and could tell me a way to compress it, but still be able to see the blades to rotoscope them. Oh, yes, and ANYONE who helps out WILL MOST DEFINATELY be put in the credits as a rotoscope artist.

9. Shadow-of-the-sith

Shadow-of-the-sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    YES u can export over a black screen with alamDV..but the compresion part is beyond me
    i know a little but not alot about file compresion with video...but i bet lord_rive does the guy who did duality he was thanked by "the formula" guys for helping get there film from like 500 megs to 211 so try to contact him if you can...

10. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I'm willing to help :) Which version of AFX are you using?

11. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Pixel, it would probably be best if it was just sent uncompressed, should come out to about about 85 meg. Depending on where the volunteer lives you could mail it to them, though on a fast connection 85 meg doesn't take long. Compression would just make it harder for the rotoscoper.

12. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Coedpoet and I use After Effects 5.0. Did I mention how AWESOME explosions are?

13. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Pixel when exporting the footage for the rotoscopers just use Full Resolution Sorenson3 with full settings. It will compress it fairly nicely with only a little bit of loss of color. Ive used this before to have remote people do work on projects and it works very well since you dont loose the detail just some of the color.

14. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Great Shawn! I'll do that.

15. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    We've talked before, count me in ;).

16. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Great, Link, thanks.

17. OBI-JUAN2002

OBI-JUAN2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2001
    I can help you... I have After Effects 5.0 and not having to round tips really makes it easier.

Just some questions:

1) What did you use for a blade? Is it visible in the footage?

2) Is it necessary to add masks when actors go infront of blades?

As you say, it is a good way to practice. By the way, I have a fast connetcion so big files arent a problem.

Regards,

18. DarthMoves

DarthMoves Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Hey Pixel, If for some reason you cant get anyone, I'll do it. I have been roto'ing with AE since version 4.0. I am using 5.5 with OSX now. You can compress it with the on2 codec, seeing how the quality CAN be lossless somewhat. You wouldn't need great quality because it will be rendered as an alpha against a transparent black ( that sounded funny) background. Even if your resoultion is only 60-70% of the original, it would still be enough to work with.

M

19. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    I don't think On2 is good for editing though, only for a final render. It tends to mess up the colours (I think...)

20. Malice343

Malice343 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2002
    Count me in
    Do you want the end of the sabers rounded or not? becuase i have never done a round tip saber :)

21. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Yeah sure whatever you need in AE I am your man PM me for further details unless you already have enough people helping you

22. ddojo

ddojo Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    Man, i wish I had AE, all I hjave is Photoshop :( I can roto them in PS and send em to u in .psd, but obviously, that wont work cause u need em in .aef :(

23. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    To answer a few questions.

1. The tips DO NOT need to be rounded.
    2. If you want to rotoscope the blades and add masks when they go behind the actors, that would be VERY helpful.
    3. Don't worry about the glows. Myself and Codepoet will take care of all glows.
    4. Since the footage you guys will be working with is compressed with On2, you don't have a to worry about image quality.

24. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    Have you tried importing On2 footage into AE?

25. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    *Wonders just how many people pixel plans to have rotoing his sabres and how on earth he expects to have an consistency from shot to shot*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.